Hello

[Kj...]

I have been on alprazolam, for 10 years or so. 2-3 mg a day, for severe anxiety. It still helps, but I am now dependent on it. Would like to find a way to not be.

Hello Kj4963,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  Benzos are tricky, they cause a physical dependency by changing the chemistry of the brain.  It appears that alprazolam still works for you but that your dosage varies.  This seems to point to the fact that sometimes you need more to achieve the original effect. This is called reaching tolerance. 

Truly, the only effective way to deal with this is to taper off alprazolam slowly and find other modalities to deal with anxiety. Some people have found things like CBT, meditation, breathing techniques and yoga to be helpful.

Should you decide to taper off we can certainly provide support and information for you.  Since you've taken the medication for many years, a slow taper would be recommended to allow your nervous system to adjust to the dose changes. it would also be advisable to take a set, regular dosage of the drug while you taper. 

Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the Planning your Withdrawal Board for additional information.

You might also take a look at the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about benzos, tapering and withdrawal written by Dr. Heather Ashton.  I'll provide a link for you.

Let us know how we can help, please feel free to ask questions.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

As pianogirl said, the only way off these addictive meds is to slowly taper them and find other ways to deal with your anxiety. Personally, I find mild cardio and meditation to be the two most helpful things to help me cope. It will not be easy coming off such an addictive, potent, short acting benzo like xanax but it can be done. I use to hate that feeling of xanax wearing off (during the 8 years I spent on this drug) and your brain and body starts screaming for that next dose.

Welcome to BB 5wDmGIt.gifKj4963!5wDmGIt.gif