How do I convince my doctor to reduce the speed of the taper and give me time?

[aq...]

How do I tell my doctor to give me an extra couple weeks before the reduction? He won't listen to me and he says he will only make an exception if I am not sleeping at all or puking. I think thats unfair because he says that if that happens, I should consider in patient detox. And I will never submit myself into any in patient psychiatric facility.

I am not at that level, but I am feeling really sick and having other bad side effects. What should I do?

Can you give a little more info? I looked at your post history and this is a bit outdated. Where are you in your taper? If you will add your info it will help people answer your questions.

I am on 4mg valium and I want to reduce my dosage to 3.75mg. How would I make that small off a cut? The only tablets available are 2,5, and 10mg.

To add your info, go up to Forum, then Forum Profile and wrote your taper and benzo info in the text box.

Thanks, I’ll check back!

How do I tell my doctor to give me an extra couple weeks before the reduction? He won't listen to me and he says he will only make an exception if I am not sleeping at all or puking. I think thats unfair because he says that if that happens, I should consider in patient detox. And I will never submit myself into any in patient psychiatric facility.

I am not at that level, but I am feeling really sick and having other bad side effects. What should I do?

Can you tell your doctor you are having heightened anxiety from the coronavirus and that you just need a few weeks to get past it. Then I would try to find a new doctor! I am sorry you are going through this. This is not a time to push through symptoms.

Take a copy of Ashton Manual with you, and tell her the truth, your symptoms have ramped up and all the news and things going on with virus are really making you more anxious.  My hope is the Dr will definitely understand.  Tell her you are afraid you may become sick.  I certainly hope most/all Dr's will understand that right now.  Good luck, let us know how it goes!!  Mary 💜

That is ridiculous!  That doctor needs to be informed.  Give him/her the link to benzobuddies!  And definitely, as another suggested, take a copy of the Ashton manual.  Here's a link for Benzodiazepine Tapering:

http://nationalpaincentre.mcmaster.ca/opioid/cgop_b_app_b06.html

There is pressure for physicians to not prescribe benzos.  I wonder how much that impacts your interactions?

You are the one who decides.  Ask for a referral to another doctor.

I hope this helps in some way!

Best way to taper is to just do it without telling your doctor. Then you are not under any time pressure and can taper at your own speed. This advice may be too late for you, but maybe not - can you just say 'oh, I've decided to stay on <whatever>...".

Doctors really shouldn't have this kind of power. Do you have to ask your car mechanic for permission to use or not use your car? Of course not. I think of doctors the same way. I hire them to provide a service, but ultimately *I* decide what to put in my body (or not put in my body).

Love,

Chessplayer

Benzosmetoo: Thank you for the positive feedback!  The Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (BIC) has credibility with prescribers (the director of BIC is a physician and there are MDs, PAs, and NPs on its medical advisory board).  Several members have used BIC’s resources successfully to educate/engage their prescribers.

Inpatient detox is not going to help. I did it that way and they get you off in one week and put you on gabapentin which is just as bad as being on a benzo...and I just ended up reinstating because I hallucinated. 5 days is too quick..I successfully tapered and jumped off after taking my time and listening to my body..which you can and will do too.I would tell the doctor that I need more time as I am having difficulty getting through the cuts. If you have to lie and say you are puking and unable to sleep then I would do that too...the doctor lied to you giving you the script anyway so who cares about honesty at this point if it buys you more time...I would also consider finding another doctor who is willing to help you even if they dont understand. Any compassionate doctor will a lot you more time if you need it..also do some research into these benzo programs online that do specific dosing for you. I forget the name of the one I spoke to in the beginning of my taper but there are programs that for a price and with a prescription from you physician will tailor make a taper schedule for you with proper doses and advice on how to eat and take care of yourself through your taper. You will get through this. I know there are a lot of shitty doctors out there who just dont care but there are people who understand you just have to look. Get on your computer and look up resources/therapists in your area. there is bound to be someone who is willing to help you even if they dont fully understand. If you need any help I am here.