isolated or simply staying at home - what do you cook?

[Ma...]

Hi guys,

maybe we can inspire each other what to cook for a healthy meal, even in quarantine or without access to fresh food from the supermarket - or just with new ideas what we can bring on the table because at the moment, working from home, I really have no idea any more for new recipes and after 2 weeks its like I only eat the same things again and again.. So, maybe we can share ideas..

Tomorrow I will prepare a vegan pasta with mushrooms:

500 gram of fresh OR frozen mushrooms (I think you might use dry mushrooms as well, then just soak them as advised)

120 miligram vegan cream (oat, soy) - or non vegan cream if you prefer that

salt and pepper

fresh or frozen parsley, A LOT!

some garlic if you want, and I add vegan yeast flakes for an extra vitamine B shot:-)

Olive oil

seeds, and crumbled nuts

Pasta/noodles (when I have a vegan meal, I take pasta made of lentils to have some extra proteins, but it does not matter which pasta)

Cook the pasta and in the meantime

clean mushrooms

put them into a pan with a little bit of water and steam them on low heat until they are firm to the bite

Then add 2 table spoons olive oil (butter is great for the taste, if you prefer that)

and the flavors I have listed above with the parsley.

As the chinese say: Herbs are not decoration, but part of the meal - put in a lot! Full of iron

Then add the cream and just let it warm up, but not cook, - try the taste and maybe add more flavor...

Then add the pasta and serve.

For the extra crunch I let the seeds and nuts roast in the pan and add them later, yummy!

Takes 12 minutes and can be stored in the fridge for another day :thumbsup:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Ma...]

• [tr...]

• [br...]

I just asked begood for a simple salmon recipe    :)

Ladies, I need a basic salmon recipe, Tim's was very bland today.  It can't be difficult or I will never get salmon again  ;D:laugh:

You mean whole salmon or fillets? I place a cut in half lemon in pan so it can brown, face down...then I add a couple of teaspoons of capers when it is almost done, then squirt the hot lemon all over, a little rosemary is good with it too. I had some last week like that and it was yummy. I am sure Cona has a good recipe too. :smitten:

By begood.....

Ladies, I need a basic salmon recipe, Tim's was very bland today.  It can't be difficult or I will never get salmon again  ;D:laugh:

You mean whole salmon or fillets? I place a cut in half lemon in pan so it can brown, face down...then I add a couple of teaspoons of capers when it is almost done, then squirt the hot lemon all over, a little rosemary is good with it too. I had some last week like that and it was yummy. I am sure Cona has a good recipe too. :smitten:

By begood.....

Oh I have a nice one. you just need an oven.

put a piece of baking paper and simply put in a peace of salmon, on top some chopped vegetables, like carrots, onions, spring onions are very good for this!, zuchhini (just make sure the vegetables are cut in thin pieces, or simply use a grater) - and then pack the ingredients with the salmon in little "gifts"/"ships"/packages, - put them into the oven at about 200 degrees for 20 - 40 minutes - the smell will be great! and the taste is awesome.

Serve with rice or just crackers or bread.

(I normally use the salt on the plate after I have served it, but you could also add some salt at the beginning. A good version is to add some ginger or horseradish, mustard or chili) :smitten:

I need a recipe for something with carrots. My partner went crazy and bought so many carrots :idiot:

What can I do with an overload of carrots in my kitchen?????

By begood.....

I like to combine garlic, soy sauce, black pepper, onions and any other Asian sauce I have in my pantry in a bag and marinate my salmon then grill it. 

By begood.....

Oh I have a nice one. you just need an oven.

put a piece of baking paper and simply put in a peace of salmon, on top some chopped vegetables, like carrots, onions, spring onions are very good for this!, zuchhini (just make sure the vegetables are cut in thin pieces, or simply use a grater) - and then pack the ingredients with the salmon in little "gifts"/"ships"/packages, - put them into the oven at about 200 degrees for 20 - 40 minutes - the smell will be great! and the taste is awesome.

Serve with rice or just crackers or bread.

(I normally use the salt on the plate after I have served it, but you could also add some salt at the beginning. A good version is to add some ginger or horseradish, mustard or chili) :smitten:

Thanks Marigold, that sounds really good too  :D :D :smitten:  I will have to let my husband pick, since he does the cooking, I have to clean  ;)

I asked my partner (the cook) for the salmon recipe that is such a success at our house. She puts the salmon fillet on a piece of foil, on a baking pan, and sprinkles some Greek seasoning, garlic powder and Mrs. Dash's lemon pepper on it. (The Mrs. Dash gives it a nice crunchy topping when baked). Then she bakes it in the oven for 25 minutes at 400. It is delicious! Tasty and oh, so tender. Mmmmm. Yummy.

:smitten:

Katz

Scrabblegirl... this must be yummy!!! I have never thought about garlic together with carrots but of course it makes sense! I will try this tomorrow. I will also make a salad and make some pickles but then still I would have 3 kilogram of carrots.

Is there any beauty thing I can do with carrots????? ??? ??? ???

I asked my partner (the cook) for the salmon recipe that is such a success at our house. She puts the salmon fillet on a piece of foil, on a baking pan, and sprinkles some Greek seasoning, garlic powder and Mrs. Dash's lemon pepper on it. (The Mrs. Dash gives it a nice crunchy topping when baked). Then she bakes it in the oven for 25 minutes at 400. It is delicious! Tasty and oh, so tender. Mmmmm. Yummy.

:smitten:

Katz

YUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY :smitten:

I am working from home, I mean I can cook AND work.  :laugh: :laugh:

More recipes please.

I could also use a recipe for a pie or pudding without eggs (I cannot eat eggs). I have coconut flour, lots of blueberries, coconut sugar, normal sugar, and some nuts... but no baking soda >:( any idea??

Here is one for carrots :laugh:

Ingredients

24 baby carrots, tops trimmed to 2 inches 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Pinch of cinnamon 1/2 cup chicken stock 1 tablespoon unsalted butter 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha Salt 1 tablespoon furikake (see Note)

How to Make It

Step 1   

In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the carrots until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain the carrots.

Step 2   

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, ginger and cinnamon and cook over moderate heat, tossing occasionally, until the ginger is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and boil over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool for 30 seconds. Swirl in the butter, lime juice and Sriracha and season with salt. Arrange the carrots on a platter and spoon the ginger-lime sauce on top. Sprinkle with the furikake and serve.

Notes

Furikake is available at Asian markets and many specialty food stores.

Sponsored Stories

Only issue is getting that furikake  ;)

Tomorrow, I plan to make stuffed manicotte. Stuffed with ricotta, spinach and spices.  The only difficult part of this is the actual stuffing the filling into the manicotee! I plan to give some to neighbors. I so enjoy cooking now!

Garlic is a wonderful seasoning. I just love how it smells and dont care if I do have "garlic breath!" Because I am now staying at home a lot more (Covid 19, duh!) I have to fill the hours with chores, small and big.  This evening, I took to the trash several things that were on top of a fairly large cabinet I own  and have for years. I store linens in it. On top of it was blank canvases that I will never use, a beach chair I wont ever use since i dislike the beach!  Caerried all of thias stuff to the curb including a Dirt Devil mini vac which had stopped vacuuming. Cleaning up IS kind of cool!! Makes you feel somehow lighted,m free-er.

This is a great post - a nice distraction:)

In regards to salmon, I never used to care for it, but in the past couple months I have drastically changed my diet and included it - weird is that I like it now!! I make a dijon sauce for it which tastes amazing (dijon and organic mayo - thats it!). I like it better than a dill sauce. I actually cooked some tonight before seeng this!

As for carrots - carrot cake?

Ingredients

24 baby carrots, tops trimmed to 2 inches 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Pinch of cinnamon 1/2 cup chicken stock 1 tablespoon unsalted butter 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha Salt 1 tablespoon furikake (see Note)

How to Make It

Step 1   

In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the carrots until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain the carrots.

Step 2   

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, ginger and cinnamon and cook over moderate heat, tossing occasionally, until the ginger is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and boil over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool for 30 seconds. Swirl in the butter, lime juice and Sriracha and season with salt. Arrange the carrots on a platter and spoon the ginger-lime sauce on top. Sprinkle with the furikake and serve.

Notes

Sponsored Stories

Does this taste sweet? with the cinnamon? cool... thank you for that recipe!!!

Interesting, I have never done something like that but guess what?????????

I. Own. FURIAKE!!

(I might be the only one in Germany owning the largest amount of chinese and original japanese food)

HAAAAAAAAAAA! :D

This is a great post - a nice distraction:)

In regards to salmon, I never used to care for it, but in the past couple months I have drastically changed my diet and included it - weird is that I like it now!! I make a dijon sauce for it which tastes amazing (dijon and organic mayo - thats it!). I like it better than a dill sauce. I actually cooked some tonight before seeng this!

As for carrots - carrot cake?

We will eat a lot of carrots the next week. Do you think I could bake a carrot cake with coconut flour or flour made of chick peas?! I cannot go to the supermarket and have to use what I have here....

Ingredients

How to Make It

Step 1   

Step 2   

Notes

Sponsored Stories

I. Own. FURIAKE!!

(I might be the only one in Germany owning the largest amount of chinese and original japanese food)

Lol, lol.  That is amazing  :D. I haven't tasted it, but saw it it a magazine and it sounded really good and makes a great presentation  ;D

Ingredients

How to Make It

Step 1   

Step 2   

Notes

Sponsored Stories

I. Own. FURIAKE!!

Lol, lol.  That is amazing  :D. I haven't tasted it, but saw it it a magazine and it sounded really good and makes a great presentation  ;D

It was a gift from a friend. They always bring stuff from all over the world. I think the goal is to be arrested :laugh: at the airport..

Well, then try it together, Mary!!

Lately I have such a hunger for chocolate. I know its not healthy, but I actualy still have an old big glass of nutella.

Any recipes for that? :D

Ingredients

How to Make It

Step 1   

Step 2   

Notes

Sponsored Stories

I. Own. FURIAKE!!

It was a gift from a friend. They always bring stuff from all over the world. I think the goal is to be arrested :laugh: at the airport..

Well, then try it together, Mary!!

Lately I have such a hunger for chocolate. I know its not healthy, but I actualy still have an old big glass of nutella.

Any recipes for that? :D

A big thick slice of bread.  :laugh: :laugh:  I believe in simple  :D:)

Marigold:  "arrested at the airport" - ahhh you made me laugh today!!

Not sure about coconut flour for the carrot cake - I'll look into it.

(I literally planted carrot seeds in an outdoor container today. found my seed collection - might need them all at this rate! Distracting myself with soil and nature.)

Marigold1, here's a yummy recipe for Thai carrot & sweet potato soup!

INGREDIENTS:

1 red onion

4 garlic cloves

1 inch fresh ginger

1 sweet potato

500g (about 7) carrots

1 tin / 400ml coconut milk + water

1-2 tbsp thai red curry paste

2 tbsp peanut butter

1 lime

Instructions:

Finely chop the onion and cook in a tbsp of oil in a large pot on medium heat.

After a few minutes, add the crushed garlic and grated ginger and stir.

Peel the sweet potato and carrots and cut into small cubes and add to the pan.

Add the tin of coconut milk then fill up with water (400ml) and add too. Add the peanut butter and curry paste, give it a good stir and bring to a simmer.

Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes, until the sweet potato and carrots are soft.

When they are soft, use a hand blender or food processor to blitz into to a creamy consistency. If you like your soup a little thinner, add some more water.

Add the juice of one lime and serve! It will keep in the fridge in an air tight container for 3-5 days.

thank you all for the recipes!! I tried the carrots with garlic today and it was really good!

Actually I cannot eat more carrots. This is insane.

But - I could just chop and freeze them or not???

thank you all for the recipes!! I tried the carrots with garlic today and it was really good!

I would think you could, but I would wait on more answers, lol.  I am not known for my cooking.

Marigold, I heard this from a Dr today , I would like to drop here, I thought it was a great idea.  Nothing depressing at all and maybe helpful.

"I heard a Dr say this morning, he uses the term "physical distancing instead of social because people may understand that better, I liked it better too.  People can still be social on FB, twitter, Skype etc;, but physical distancing means Staying Apart!!  Maybe that will sink in for some of the people that just don't seem to get it.      Love you all, Mary"

OK guys, get on with those recipes , has been really fun and interesting  :laugh: :laugh:

I would think you could, but I would wait on more answers, lol.  I am not known for my cooking.

Marigold, I heard this from a Dr today , I would like to drop here, I thought it was a great idea.  Nothing depressing at all and maybe helpful.

"I heard a Dr say this morning, he uses the term "physical distancing instead of social because people may understand that better, I liked it better too.  People can still be social on FB, twitter, Skype etc;, but physical distancing means Staying Apart!!  Maybe that will sink in for some of the people that just don't seem to get it.      Love you all, Mary"

OK guys, get on with those recipes , has been really fun and interesting  :laugh: :laugh:

I think we were watching the same network.  ;)

I need a recipe for something with carrots. My partner went crazy and bought so many carrots :idiot:

What can I do with an overload of carrots in my kitchen?????

Carrot and butter bean or other beans soup?