Has corona made your symptoms worse?

[le...]

I've got anxiety and bad OCD as withdrawal symptom. But since all this corona stuff got lit worse have other found same. Tried cbt was useless am starting seeing therapist by Skype. Not worried about getting it more being unable to have social contact, find going out difficult normally but feel with restrictions will end up agrophobic. Got feeling until things improve I probably won't have much progress.

Right now, Agoraphobia is not a "symptom" of anything, it's a rational response to what is going on in the world.

100 percent agreed.

Also, benzodiazepine withdrawal "Fear" is not true agoraphobia it is the result of the absence of therapeutic dose of benzo and symptoms should improve as other withdrawal symptoms improve. "Therapy" is usually ineffective during withdrawal according to Dr. Heather Ashton " In many cases, however, agoraphobia disappears along with other symptoms after drug withdrawal, without the need for any formal therapy (Edwards, et al., 1990; Ashton, 1987)."

"patients become frightened by particular symptoms which are overinterpreted as signs of physical or mental illness. Information may need to be repeated in these cases; in practice the realisation that a symptom is a "withdrawal symptom" is temporary, and is not a sign of disease".

Below some of the diagnostic criteria of agoraphobia from DSM V.

"The fear or anxiety is out of proportion to the actual danger posed by the agoraphobic situations and to the sociocultural context.

The fear, anxiety, or avoidance is persistent, typically lasting 6 months or more.

The fear, anxiety, or avoidance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in important areas of functioning.

The presence of agoraphobia related to fear of developing panic-like symptoms. The individual fears or avoids these situations because of thoughts that escape might be difficult or help might not be available in the event of developing panic-like symptoms or other incapacitating or embarrassing symptoms."

I went through a hellish benzo withdrawal between 2015-2017. Anxiety was through the roof during withdrawal. I got to benzo free and recovered. 100% better by 2019. Living and enjoying life again, travelling the world, making exciting future plans. In fact I'd say 200% recovered, since going through benzo withdrawal hell (like going through cancer or something like that) taught me what's important (relationships, people, doing good in the world) and what's not important (money, career, status) and thus not worth stressing over.

Then in January 2020, a virus crossover happened. Actually it happened earlier, maybe Nov 2019, but Jan 20 2020 is when I learned of it. I remember vividly because I was traveling at the time, en route from Montego Bay to Toronto to Boston. "Oh f***" I thought. "This is BIG" I knew, although our idiot world leaders seemed clueless. You see, I have some education, Harvard, mathematics/biology. I knew the potential disaster that might be coming.

Headed somewhere safe, started stockpiling/preparing. This was in January. In U.S. (Boston area). Ignored ridicule of co-workers and acquaintances ("You are a fool. Trump says there is no danger..."). F***ing morons (Trump included).

So here we are. End of March 2020. I am SCARED and ANXIOUS just as bad as I was in full-blown benzo withdrawal. Even if safe myself, I am OVERWHELMED with grief and sadness knowing that loved ones and millions of unknown others like them are right now huddled in fear and isolation all over the world, many unable to prepare as I have (too poor, living in slums, etc etc). Back when I was travelling i.e. Before The World Changed, I made this video in downtown Kingston Jamaica. Later went back and put it on YouTube with the caption "what if coronavirus gets *here*?". Well, guess what? It *is* there. It is everywhere. The girl in the video is scared. I am scared.

In these times, we are all in benzo withdrawal.

Peace and love,

Richard a.k.a. chessplayer

P.S. But ... *never* *never* *NEVER* going back to benzos no matter what the stess level becomes...

Thank you! Very inspiring! :smitten:

Hypatia the. agrophobia def is symptom of withdrawal had long before this. The intrusive thoughts gave me a fear may have pushed people over while ou had it for months. Been trying make myself go out and face it but been lot worse since all this stuff. So is directly related to withdrawal.

For what it's worth, I can't say covid-19 has made any of my symptoms worse. If anything, quite the opposite. Working from home is just fine though I miss eating out... Then again, after a nasty, short wave, I am back into a nice window. Most of my symptoms have receded or disappeared with the exception of tinnitus (which is a lot fainter than it used to be so it's not that bad). Touch wood...

SG

For what it's worth, I can't say covid-19 has made any of my symptoms worse. If anything, quite the opposite. Working from home is just fine though I miss eating out... Then again, after a nasty, short wave, I am back into a nice window. Most of my symptoms have receded or disappeared with the exception of tinnitus (which is a lot fainter than it used to be so it's not that bad). Touch wood...

SG

Same here. I was about to be terminated from my job because I am too sick to leave my house and they were not going to let me work from home. Now everyone from my company is ordered to work from home. I can keep my job as long as this policy is in place. I hope to recover by the time we are allowed to be back to office.

Wow ... COVID-19 as a cure for benzo withdrawal?!

Welcome back  :hug:  Hellenistic Neoplatonist philosopher, astronomer, and mathematician, and Chess player  :laugh: Glad its just for support, company or whatever  and your still Benzo free  :thumbsup:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Chessplayer, I did read this thread and your posts about why you're back.  Sorry.  Are you still playing chess in Jamaica?  It's good to see you again.  I thought when you closed your Chessplayer acct. that we'd never ever see you again.  What other symptoms are you having now? 

[f9...]
After surviving benzo withdrawal after long term use , Coronavirus or nothing else bothers me , the only thing I think that would is a death in the family, going through that BS has made me stronger than I could imagine .

A woman in my street has been taken into hospital with Corona virus and pneumonia  bless her, and help her  :hug: I hope she pulls through OK Everyone is freaking out about it in-case their the  next, I'm more concerned abut these freaking hell withdrawal symptoms I'm suffering now where as I was suffering and paranoid about the virus now my neighbour has got it I'm more pissed off with these effing symptoms than worrying about the virus. The only worry I have about getting the virus is having it on top off these effin symptoms man!!!!! Thier crucifying enough now  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Becks, thanks nice to be back. I did move to Jamaica but I'm temporarily back in the US during this COVID crisis. Or maybe permanently, who knows.

I was not having any symptoms (fully recovered from benzos). My "symptoms" now (symptoms of living in the age of COVID-19 that is) are: anxiety, agoraphobia, the feeling of living in a horror movie, an impending sense of doom ...

Chessplayer

Hi Becks, thanks nice to be back. I did move to Jamaica but I'm temporarily back in the US during this COVID crisis. Or maybe permanently, who knows.

I was not having any symptoms (fully recovered from benzos). My "symptoms" now (symptoms of living in the age of COVID-19 that is) are: anxiety, agoraphobia, the feeling of living in a horror movie, an impending sense of doom ...

Chessplayer

I think the world is having these symptoms now...benzo withdraw-ers are no longer alone.

When I look around me, - all people could easily be in withdrawal right now. If I did not knew about the corona crisis I would assume everyone is in WD!

All kinds of symptoms... anxiety, panic, stress disorders, mania, depression, shaking, heart palpitations, hysterical laughter, hysterical crying and yelling, overdoing things, under-doing things, stopping to eat, overeating, oversleeping, overworking, trouble in the relationship and family - - and I guess they all try to "fake" to be normal at the moment.

Everyone is ill at ease.  We're in in a strange world, this virus has encompassed the entire planet.  It's hard to feel 'normal' these days but the best things for me are walks, yoga and disconnecting from the internet.

pianogirl  :smitten:

My anxiety is currently through the roof with this virus. I’m worried about my family, friends becoming sick, I’m worried about my finances and work security (even though I’m only part time), I’m worried about life as we know it permanently changing, I’m worried about the country going into an economic depression. Oh wow. I was just starting to feel better, anxiety wise, before this but now my anxiety is worse than acute. I can’t calm myself down by saying everything will be ok, because everything might not be ok. Sigh 😔

it is quite scary and the withdrawal just compounds this. it makes geniune worry multiply to somthing unrealistic try . and limit your news and social media exposure  , it is really unhealpfull. on the plus side the rest of the world is as crazy and paranoid as we feel lol. sorry to joke

it is quite scary and the withdrawal just compounds this. it makes geniune worry multiply to somthing unrealistic try . and limit your news and social media exposure  , it is really unhealpfull. on the plus side the rest of the world is as crazy and paranoid as we feel lol. sorry to joke

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Its true but its still hands down worse for us, its going to go away for them sometime we're stuck with it, plus a gazzilion other symptoms mental and physical for God knows how long :tickedoff:

Neva xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Its true but its still hands down worse for us, its going to go away for them sometime we're stuck with it, plus a gazzilion other symptoms mental and physical for God knows how long .

100% it's worse for us but remember it gets better for us also.

Not worried about getting it, it's the social isolation being unable to see anyone. Only thing keeping me sane last year been seeing friends odd trip out to eat. I'm desperately trying make myself go out, but constantly being told to stay indoors, just putting any recovery I might have had back to square one. Think lot people end up having mental health issues after these extreme measures

Not worried about getting it, it's the social isolation being unable to see anyone. Only thing keeping me sane last year been seeing friends odd trip out to eat. I'm desperately trying make myself go out, but constantly being told to stay indoors, just putting any recovery I might have had back to square one. Think lot people end up having mental health issues after these extreme measures

Not sure what restrictions you have where you are but if possible get outside as much as you can to walk and get some fresh air. My son is not in school anymore so ive enjoyed riding around with him when we get outside