Benzo withdrawal and COVID 19- I have it.

[Mo...]

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Ma...]

• [ba...]

• [Hy...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Mobykal.  Thank you! 

Like you, I thought I just had brutal withdrawal symptoms.  I had some days where my brain felt very wrong, I had such a bad headache....to bend my neck forward was so painful.  I could barely walk.  No strength to my muscles.  This, on top of the usual laundry list of benzo w/d symptoms. 

Until I got a tight chest, a dry cough, and then a slight fever, I was clueless.  So I have had the flu, and withdrawal combined.  And like you - it went away and came back.  My fever went a week ago and has not returned.  But extreme lethargy and chest stuff comes and goes with the shakes and spins and dp/dl, etc etc.  Some days I feel very lightheaded, like I will faint.

I have been in a revolving door of flu sick for over 6 weeks.  I jumped off Valium 4 weeks ago.  It has been so effing hard.

I was thinking that benzo withdrawal might be prolonging the flu healing process.  Isn't GABA needed for proper immune response?  At no point was/is it life threatening for me, my blood pressure and blood oxygen have been good.  But I really wondered if I was dying more a few times. 

I am so glad to hear of research? out of Korea regarding the relapse of Covid.  My flu symptoms have not resembled the 14-day start to finish.  I am suspecting that I am winning right now because my fever is gone, and my strength is returning. (I mean not great - but its there!) 

I am on a double taper.... the first one is done (Valium) and I'm now tapering Oxazepam.    I'm going slow.

Thanks again for posting!  I'm so glad I found this.  Please just check in here soon, and let me know how you are doing.    :smitten:

Big Love and be kind to yourself!

Interesting Mobykal.  Thank you! 

Like you, I thought I just had brutal withdrawal symptoms.  I had some days where my brain felt very wrong, I had such a bad headache....to bend my neck forward was so painful.  I could barely walk.  No strength to my muscles.  This, on top of the usual laundry list of benzo w/d symptoms. 

Until I got a tight chest, a dry cough, and then a slight fever, I was clueless.  So I have had the flu, and withdrawal combined.  And like you - it went away and came back.  My fever went a week ago and has not returned.  But extreme lethargy and chest stuff comes and goes with the shakes and spins and dp/dl, etc etc.  Some days I feel very lightheaded, like I will faint.

I have been in a revolving door of flu sick for over 6 weeks.  I jumped off Valium 4 weeks ago.  It has been so effing hard.

I was thinking that benzo withdrawal might be prolonging the flu healing process.  Isn't GABA needed for proper immune response?  At no point was/is it life threatening for me, my blood pressure and blood oxygen have been good.  But I really wondered if I was dying more a few times. 

I am so glad to hear of research? out of Korea regarding the relapse of Covid.  My flu symptoms have not resembled the 14-day start to finish.  I am suspecting that I am winning right now because my fever is gone, and my strength is returning. (I mean not great - but its there!) 

I am on a double taper.... the first one is done (Valium) and I'm now tapering Oxazepam.    I'm going slow.

Thanks again for posting!  I'm so glad I found this.  Please just check in here soon, and let me know how you are doing.    :smitten:

Big Love and be kind to yourself!

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I think I'm finally over this, it's been about 8 weeks now and I haven't had a fever in 12 days.

Am I right thinking that you have the corona virus (not the flu?). The COVID 19 is a coronavirus (Both words are used interchangeably right now). The flu is the influenza virus.  Different viruses.

The way you describe it, sounds like the coronavirus(COVID 19). I've never had any flu that lasts so long and keeps coming back. Uggg. My doctor recently told me that they think it goes away and then keeps reactivating . They don't (yet) think that someone gets it over and over again.

We'll see what they find out in the future and if we are immune to future infections or not. I'm really hoping we are.

I think I had a mild case and it still wiped me out.

When the antibody tests finally come out you might consider getting one. I want one just to confirm it.

I do wonder if tapering benzos makes us more vulnerable to infections, I think it does.

I commend you on jumping off of valium. I still have about a year to go because I'm going so slowly.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Thanks so much Mobykal.  Its great to hear that your virus has passed.

I feel sane after hearing about your experience.  I am stronger today.  Just.  Back pain and leg numbness are almost gone.  It was such a relief to walk my dog today and have my legs functioning.  I am still having the cough, weakness,  and this metallic taste in my mouth.  The metallic taste has come for about a week.  Did anyone hear about metallic taste? 

I am still reeling with withdrawal symptoms.  But knowing I can breathe and walk are good! 

Its very peculiar and hard to sort out what is Covid and what is not.  There might be overlap in symptoms. 

I really hope to get an antibody test too if one becomes available....  In the meantime, I isolate and wait.

Stay well and hold on tight.  To all that is good in your life.

Hi all, just wanted to give an update.  I do know not know what is going on with me.  I have had two negative Covid test.  They were done via throat swab.  First one she barely swabbed it, second one felt better but also negative.  I was told they aren't that reliable but 2 negative test does make it seem like this is something else.  Very odd timing for me to get similar symptoms at exact time someone was quarantining in my basement. 

All of my symptoms have gone haywire.  I haven't been able to work in a month.  Headaches are constant and severe, dizziness unbearable, random joint paint, GI pain, the shortness of breath was very bad a for a few days but that part got better.  However, I am unable to do anything beyond walking and even that makes me feint.

At night or when I lay down for nap, everything gets even worse.  Very uncomfortable chest pain and face gets blotchy red.  I wake up with chills and temp is usually low (97.00)

In addition to my benzo WD, I also have prior mild traumatic brain injury.  I can usually manage my symptoms and am used to pain and discomfort.  This is another level. 

So far all i've gotten is basic labs, and chest x ray which were both normal.  Getting more detailed labs done tomorrow.  Sorry to leave everyone hanging...I'm very scared with how long I can keep this up for and it's scarier not knowing what the cause is. 

My primary Dr. says it's post viral inflammation(non covid), but I have never experienced symptoms like this in my life. 

Hi all, just wanted to give an update.  I do know not know what is going on with me.  I have had two negative Covid test.  They were done via throat swab.  First one she barely swabbed it, second one felt better but also negative.  I was told they aren't that reliable but 2 negative test does make it seem like this is something else.  Very odd timing for me to get similar symptoms at exact time someone was quarantining in my basement. 

All of my symptoms have gone haywire.  I haven't been able to work in a month.  Headaches are constant and severe, dizziness unbearable, random joint paint, GI pain, the shortness of breath was very bad a for a few days but that part got better.  However, I am unable to do anything beyond walking and even that makes me feint.

At night or when I lay down for nap, everything gets even worse.  Very uncomfortable chest pain and face gets blotchy red.  I wake up with chills and temp is usually low (97.00)

In addition to my benzo WD, I also have prior mild traumatic brain injury.  I can usually manage my symptoms and am used to pain and discomfort.  This is another level. 

So far all i've gotten is basic labs, and chest x ray which were both normal.  Getting more detailed labs done tomorrow.  Sorry to leave everyone hanging...I'm very scared with how long I can keep this up for and it's scarier not knowing what the cause is. 

My primary Dr. says it's post viral inflammation(non covid), but I have never experienced symptoms like this in my life.

If the tests were not taken at the best time of the infection, the tests may show a false negative result. How many days did you have symptoms when the tests were done?

I'm also glad to see you todayistomorrow33. Got worried for awhile. You probably had it. I know I did and my doctor is sure I did but we can't get tested. Wait for the antibody test. That's what I have to do. Also, how do they know the the particular test you took was reliable. Your story is not the first I've heard.

• 1 month later...

I took some time to read through this thread. Have any of you actually received a "confirmed" active Covid-19 and/or antibody test to confirm that your illnesses were definitively Covid-19? Where I live, both are now available, and have been for over a month now, at most doctors offices and all urgent care facilities without the need for a doctors approval, having or had symptoms, or a script.

I haven't seen a post with confirmation of infection; only speculation. I'm curious.

Lori

• 4 weeks later...

I took some time to read through this thread. Have any of you actually received a "confirmed" active Covid-19 and/or antibody test to confirm that your illnesses were definitively Covid-19? Where I live, both are now available, and have been for over a month now, at most doctors offices and all urgent care facilities without the need for a doctors approval, having or had symptoms, or a script.

I haven't seen a post with confirmation of infection; only speculation. I'm curious.

Lori

Lori,

I spoke with our pediatrician last night as my son took ill suddenly and we thought maybe COVID, although unlikely since we are isolating so much. She said she has had patients who have had more than 5 negative tests and then the next one showed positive. These are in kids who definitely based on symptoms had COVID. The tests are very unreliable. Which is unfortunate since how are asymptomatic people supposed to know if they really have it or not. Very distressing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had to hold my AD taper since the past week I've been ill. I thought it was a cold at first but has gotten worse. It's upper respiratory with fatigue and weakness, thankfully not in my lungs. I have intense body aches specifically in my lower back. A family member's girlfriend has been at my home a lot lately and she recently tested positive for Covid. I'm getting tested today. It feels a lot like influenza, except the body aches are more intense. I'm been just laying around, a lot of time in bed. My husband and I have continued to quarantine since March even though a lot of restrictions have eased. No outdoor/indoor restaurant dining, no socializing, work, etc. so we feel girlfriend brought it in. I hope we all feel better soon.

Becky

I've had to hold my AD taper since the past week I've been ill. I thought it was a cold at first but has gotten worse. It's upper respiratory with fatigue and weakness, thankfully not in my lungs. I have intense body aches specifically in my lower back. A family member's girlfriend has been at my home a lot lately and she recently tested positive for Covid. I'm getting tested today. It feels a lot like influenza, except the body aches are more intense. I'm been just laying around, a lot of time in bed. My husband and I have continued to quarantine since March even though a lot of restrictions have eased. No outdoor/indoor restaurant dining, no socializing, work, etc. so we feel girlfriend brought it in. I hope we all feel better soon.

Becky

It sounds like you've been so careful, it's scary how one point of contact can change everything.  I hope your symptoms don't increase and you can get through this relatively easy. 

Thanks Pamster. I feel totally wiped out. I am hoping it is just a sinus infection or something else, just not Covid. I am still waiting for my test results. Luckily my husband is taking care of everything. Time for another nap. Be well and stay safe everyone.

Becky

Hi pamster,

I want to thank you for your empathy and kindness supporting members with covid!

Hi Becky,

In my experience, this virus is extremely contagious. I got it first from my son after him being in the house for only 20 minutes, and the second talking to my neighbor on the street for just couple minutes. I know I'm extremely sensitive after jumping off valium but that was what happened.

I know ppl are suspecious and doubtful as some of the symptoms are overlapping with wd, but they are definitely different.

I hope it won't last long for you and you get back to wd baseline soon.

4mom

4mom and Becky,

It seems as if BenzoBuddies is now doubling as a Covid-19 support group and I'm honored to see so many members stepping in to help each other through this.  :smitten:

Pamster

Hi 4mom. Of course we can tell w/d from a severe virus. Yes it's so contagious just like catching a regular cold from someone. People are letting their guard down since here the restrictions are eased. The infection rate is only 1 percent here in NY. I believe it's going to go increase since everyone is out and about and schools will be open for live teaching soon. It will feel like a bad flu for most. A vaccine can't come soon enough.

Becky

4mom and Becky,

It seems as if BenzoBuddies is now doubling as a Covid-19 support group and I'm honored to see so many members stepping in to help each other through this.  :smitten:

Pamster

Thanks again pamster!

I'm grateful BB staff is supporting to this topic and the very needed help!

I believe the information is tied to bed and can be benificial to this special population in various aspects. Both from my own experience and learned from recent published research, this virus can affect central nerve system too. Imy respiratory sx are very mild but nerve sx are extreme.

Hi 4mom. Of course we can tell w/d from a severe virus. Yes it's so contagious just like catching a regular cold from someone. People are letting their guard down since here the restrictions are eased. The infection rate is only 1 percent here in NY. I believe it's going to go increase since everyone is out and about and schools will be open for live teaching soon. It will feel like a bad flu for most. A vaccine can't come soon enough.

Becky

Hi Becky,

I have a guess, a good one, that you will be ok in terms of covid even you indeed have it. I tapered 2 drugs in the past 10 yrs, my immune was extra strong all those years as long as I was on the meds regardless how tiny the dose is. But once I'm off, my immune would be non-existent like now. You are still tapering so very likely your immune is not impacted in that way.

Hi 4mom. My immune system is not that great. Maybe I seem to catch a lot of things is because two family members in my household work for the public. I'm on day 7 and I think and the worst of it is behind me. The horrific back pain has diminished, now I just feel achy. I have cold symptoms with a stuffy nose and sore throat. I don't feel completely wiped out like I did where I stayed in bed the whole time. I still feel tired and probably need another week to get back to where I was. I just feel like crap now. I guess my case would be considered mild considering what it could have been. I believe I caught it when I invited my son's girlfriend to have birthday cake with us. So it was just the four of us, and she was not sick at the time. She tested positive for Covid later that week. This was the only time we were social with anyone, inside or outside the house since the beginning of March. Only twenty minutes of coffee and cake... Feel better everyone.

Becky

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the Covid suffering on top of WD.  Just wondering, did anyone use a fever reducer (Tylenol, etc.) to cope with the fever, or were you able to weather the temp fluctuations without meds?  I am in a massive setback and cannot tolerate even Tylenol, and with family members in health care, I am worried that I may eventually get Covid but cannot take any meds for any symptom, least of all Tylenol.

Here's to healing for all of us.

• 1 month later...
[ab...]
Hi, I think might have covid not sure getting tested. But my symptoms match, body aches,loss of appetite, body chills, spitting mucus, back & stomach & chest pain etc this happened out of no where. Ive been taking natural herbs and hot teas. This really sucks if it is because just the other day I was happy and feeling good. Anyone had these symptoms? Plus still healing from benzos. :'(

I am sorry to hear of your onset of new illness, and pray it is not COVID-19.  Please accept my good wishes for a quick and full recovery!