Anyone dry tapering from brand Klonipin, not Clonazepam? It’s very difficult!

[Fo...]

The Klonipin has a “k” cut out if the middle of the pill! It’s driving me nuts trying to file my 2 .5mg pills down/day without it breaking.  Have any of you experienced this?  I may need to switch to clonazepam.

Also, I am wondering, did most of you cut out a complete dose, then do the other?  It’s so much stress dry tapering with a scale and having to do 2/day.  I do better in the evenings with my anxiety. Maybe I could just keep cutting that down, then do the morning.  I’m already tapering both, and almost at .75mg total/day.  Any insight is so much appreciated!!!

Thank you :)

I've seen members weigh 10 pills then divide to get an average weight, could you crush a bunch of your pills and portion them out that way so you don't have to shave them?

Into powder form?  How would you take powder? I’m afraid it would dissolve in my mouth before swallowing it. This is such a tedious task, this weighing and dry tapering, though I know it’s a good route to take.

Also, Pamster, do you think I could add back my full .5 in the morning and go to .25 at night (I’m almost at .75/day)? Or, would adding back to a daily dose screw with my body?

Thanks! :)

[8a...]

Into powder form?  How would you take powder? I’m afraid it would dissolve in my mouth before swallowing it. This is such a tedious task, this weighing and dry tapering, though I know it’s a good route to take.

You're correct that more of a powdered pill will be absorbed sublingually from your mouth compared with an intact pill.  Coupla ways to work through that...

- Don't grind to a powder.  Just break into chunks until you achieve the desired dose.  There will be a little powder, but not much

- Have the glass of water ready and swallow down your dose quickly after putting the fragments into your mouth. 

That should minimize the sublingual absorption.  There's always going to be a little - even with an intact pill.  You just want to 'normalize' your method for ingestion so there are no big day-to-day fluctuations.

Also, Pamster, do you think I could add back my full .5 in the morning and go to .25 at night (I’m almost at .75/day)? Or, would adding back to a daily dose screw with my body?

Thanks! :)

Tapers need adjustments, they shouldn't be set in stone so if you'd like to do this, then you should.  We all have different needs, symptoms and obligations which should dictate our tapers. 

The Klonipin has a “k” cut out if the middle of the pill! It’s driving me nuts trying to file my 2 .5mg pills down/day without it breaking.  Have any of you experienced this?  I may need to switch to clonazepam.

Also, I am wondering, did most of you cut out a complete dose, then do the other?  It’s so much stress dry tapering with a scale and having to do 2/day.  I do better in the evenings with my anxiety. Maybe I could just keep cutting that down, then do the morning.  I’m already tapering both, and almost at .75mg total/day.  Any insight is so much appreciated!!!

Thank you :)

Yes, I used brand name Klonopin.  Be very careful if you switch to clonazepam (generic Klonopin).  Many people, including myself, could tell a difference in strength even though both pills were supposed to be 0.5 mg or whatever.

I crushed my Klonopin and weighed it into empty gel capsules (just google gel capsules on amazon).  On a Saturday, I would make enough for an entire month and put them into a daily pill box like this one [nobbc]https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBHGLQ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/nobbc]

Also, about which of the two daily doses to stop first, I stopped the morning dose first because I wanted the bedtime dose to help me sleep.  If I could get enough sleep, I could handle most any symptoms in the daytime.

Edit: Deactivated commercial link.

Thanks, Bob7! I tried to follow the link to how you crushed the pills and did everything, but it won’t work. Maybe it’s my connection. I’ll try again later.  I hate how much work this is!! It’s like all I can think about is this medication and tapering, which doesn’t help my anxiety.  Hope, I’ll get through on your link.  That sounds like a good method!

Oh, and congrats to you on doing it!

Can you have your dr prescribe a liquid compound, and the compounding pharmacy make it?  Explain you need it to be klonopin, and you are titrating down doses based on symptoms.  This is what I do with clonazepam.  I can’t manage weighing and cutting etc.  With the liquid compound , you can only get 30 days at once and it takes a few days to make it.  So you need renewal prescriptions ready to go in a timely way. 

Hi Healing64!

Thank you for the idea.  When I get down to smaller doses, I definitely am thinking about trying that.  It is so time consuming (and mind consuming) doing this cutting and weighing.  It causes anxiety for me, which is obviously counterproductive.  It makes me want to go CT...which I know not to do, but you get my point. :)

I do understand!  I can’t handle all the weighing and scales etc.  My anxiety morphs to ocd and is never trust that I got it right.  Plus I don’t want to take that much time just focused on benzos every day. 

Stay well!

my boyfriend used a gram scale and shaved the pills with a sharp knife. If you switch brands I wouldnt cut again right away and I would level on the brand name before you switch to cloz. Any changes will cause discomfort so give yourself a fighting chance and be level before you switch and then hold on the generic.

I am sure you have already thought of this.... I did the Valium crossover from Clonazepam and it saved my whole taper. 

Can you have your dr prescribe a liquid compound, and the compounding pharmacy make it?  Explain you need it to be klonopin, and you are titrating down doses based on symptoms.  This is what I do with clonazepam.  I can’t manage weighing and cutting etc.  With the liquid compound , you can only get 30 days at once and it takes a few days to make it.  So you need renewal prescriptions ready to go in a timely way.

Just a note--I went this route early on and it was a disaster. I felt like I was not taking any medication with the compounded liquid. I became bed-bound and could not sleep or stop vomiting. Others had similar experiences with the compounded liquid. If it works, it's great, just be aware that for others this did not work.

Thank you everyone! I think I will stick with the brand name Klonopin, as to not cause more issues, and probably stay away from the liquid, since I’ve seen too often that it causes problems.

I am having an easier time.  I use my pill cutter to cut it down quite a bit, then file the rest to get to the correct weight on the scale.  If it’s low, I use a piece that broke off from the pill cutter to get the correct weight.  I start my lower morning dose tomorrow, which takes me to .75mg total/day. Down 25% over two months. Wish me luck!