If have you be intubated due to virus....

[Aj...]

So, let’s hope this doesn’t happen to any of us but I am very concerned about this.

If ppl need to be intubated they are sedated and paralysed apparently.

I am now sensitised to all meds and still tapering.

If they gave me Benzos it would be horrific as you are all aware and I get severe adverse effects to all meds have tried to relax muscles in last year including g hallucinations and terror.

I couldn’t lie flat even on Benzos doe to spinal problems and now even with legs up can’t lie on back.

What the hell are we supposed to do in these circumstances.

I have a DNR in place so not sure if that would prevent them from doing it?

If worked and didn’t cause terror would hope for morphine but unless they were to give me enough to put me out of my misery the effects of that would be horrific as even cocodomol causes my terror etc to get much worse due to allergic sensitisation.

Well that would put me right back to the fkn start wouldnt it.. :(

- ventilator induced pneumonia and all..  God, I still remember them sucking out my lungs through my trachie.. Sounded just like at the dentist.. -Felt like Edward Scissorhands in my chest..

Probs a good ancidote for self isolation now I think of it.. (as if id ever forget..) :(

Look Ajusta, I think once one is in that situation they would sedate to your distress levels, or more to relieve them.. The trouble is weaning off the ventilator after.l, but Im sure they have their bag of tricks..

In your case particularly, I hope you never have to find out..

Sorry, not a bubble of cheer tonight am I..  :(

Following. I have texted my daughter to see if she can answer what sedation is used during intubation as she’s a critical care neuro ICU nurse.

I can answer this as my husband is an NP with ICU experience - currently treating covid patients...

Benzos are typically used for sedation - versed is a common med used.  If needed you can have them use propofol as it is an anesthetic.

I too asked this question as I was quite concerned being only 30 days off of ativan.

Tell them you have an allergy to benzos or have paradoxical responses to them - this way they won't use it.

Current treatment seems to be azithromycin and zinc to counteract covid.

If I hear anything else I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
I personally would get rid of that DNR if I wanted to be treated with a respirator for COVID. If it gets to the point they are evaluating life and rationing respirators in your area you will be at the bottom of the pile.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a big note on my ID documents; "Cave Benzo" (if I can't talk). They use "cave" (latin) in the hospital if you are allergic to anything.

I also wrote "absolutely forbidden if it's not about life and death."

• 2 weeks later...
Losing control of my taper due to hospitalization is my biggest fear right now. I am finally getting well and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. But I would seriously rather die than have my benzo withdrawal suffering prolonged. I am so afraid that they may give me too much or too little benzodiazepine in a hospital setting. I am just praying that if I do get sick, that I can manage it at home. I have about two months left on my planned taper.