Withdrawal symptoms? Head jerks, brain zaps, sore tongue and burning tongue

[Sc...]

Hey everyone

I post an awful lot on here, purely because it does help me get through everything

I cut my dose of Ativan/lorazepam by 0.175 just over a week ago, and I was doing really well, it was actually my best cut yet, I’ve struggled severely with withdrawal symptoms but I’m having to do a direct dry cut taper so 0.175 is really the lowest I can go,

I was doing good up until the last day or 2

I have got a bad sinus cold currently but I’ve noticed some symptoms that are kind p*ssing me off

I just wondered if anyone else experienced them?

I’ve been getting random jerk movements throughout the day, never been a problem before my head will randomly jerk to the side, my whole head will just move really quickly! I’ll be looking at my phone and suddenly my head will just jerk slightly to the side and back front facing again all in the space of about a second , I’ve also been getting this in my leg , randomly just jolts up, and also my arms, randomly just jerking out , it a really frustrating symptom and is giving me quite a bit of anxiety, especially because it’s not something I’m used to and finding it’s happening a lot more frequently

I also have been experiencing random bouts of a sore tongue. My tongue will feel fine and then randomly out of no where my entire tongue becomes sore! It feels like I’ve licked a bit of sandpaper, or sucked on a lollipop with a crack in it and it’s cut my tongue in all sorts of places, however upon looking in the mirror there is no signs of trauma or anything, but it’s so sore!!

I also get these sensations of burning on my tongue and lips, it’s like I’ve scalded them on a hot cup of tea and again, will flare up out of no where, it’s frustrating because everytime it happens I’ve not even consumed anything!

Anyone else get these withdrawal symptoms? Do you have any tips on how I can alleviate them?

I’m holding now until I feel comfortable to cut again.

Will the jerk movements stop/settle down?

Seems like everytime I cut I get a different kind of withdrawal symptom

But I wasn’t having many unusual or different symptoms until the last 2 days or so, it’s the muscle jerks and twitching that are the most anxiety provoking for me right now

Thank you in advance

I have the sore tongue - gets worse when first dose and then when dose wears off  - constant sore throat as well and in past had the neck jerking but now all muscles are seized up and contracted.

Know other people who have the jerking.

Remember that benzo's are great muscle relaxers and when we take them away, our muscles complain, the jerking is totally normal, but I know it's scary and frustrating.  I remember having a sore tongue in two ways.  It seemed like all of my taste buds were on fire, like seemed like they were swollen.  The tip of my tongue was also sore, but I figured out this was because I constantly rubbed my tongue against the roof of my mouth, another nervous tick of benzo withdrawal.  :sick:

These are totally normal withdrawal symptoms. I have them too. Neck and legs, sometimes my arms will twitch too. The sore tongue drives me crazy. For me it’s because I start rubbing my tongue on the roof of my mouth (like Pamster). It comes and goes. The muscle ticks have gotten better for me, they don’t happen as frequently, but they have spread to other parts of my body. It started in my legs.

I had this during my wd.  It was really bad. I even went to dentist, had molar ground.  Couldn't eat.  Food had no taste. This sxs was what actually got me researching into benzo wd. Muscle twitching, jerking.  Had that too. It will slowly dissappear.  Just hang in there. My neck and shoulders hurt really bad.  It's wd sxs.  Take care of yourself. It will get better. I actually went running yesterday. First time in almost a year.  Don't be hard on yourself.  I promise, it will get better.

Wow I didn’t expect so many replies! Thank you so much to all of your for taking the time out to respond!

I can’t believe the amount of you who suffer with the same sore or burning tongue!

Mine isn’t from rubbing it against the roof of my mouth, but I’ve noticed I’ve developed a this need to suck my tongue (if that even makes sense) I sit and suck at it when it’s burning or sore, I think psychologically I’m trying to smooth it but it doesn’t help.

The burning tongue is awful! Feels like I’ve fully burnt it on a scalding hot cup of tea or something! I also notice my gums randomly burn at times and my lips but only the outline of my lips tend to burn! I hate it, I’ve had this symptom ever since I started lorazepam 7 months ago! Even before I began reducing!

The jerking is my biggest fear, it really annoys me, today they have been so bad! It’s my head that jerks the most, my full head will just tic to the side, almost like you see people that suffer from Tourette’s have, bless this, now I can see why it’s so frustrating, I never had this withdrawal symptom up until recently so it’s kinda new to me hence the fear

I also get brain zaps! They don’t hurt but it feels like my brain has shook inside my skull for a second, like it’s just shook from side to side really quickly!

Sometimes it radiates onto my hand and I can feel a quick tingle in my hand when it happens

The jerking is awful oh my gosh! Will this ever get better?

I’m convinced I’m stuck like this for life, or that things will only get worse 😔 I’m sat here typing and my head keeps jerking and twitching the other way, it’s like I go to turn my head but it decides not to and does a reverse immediately 😂 they are only slight and most people don’t notice them unless I point it out, tends to be worse at night for me usually but it’s been there all day!

I had the strangest symptoms. Sometimes my scalp felt like someone ripped all of my hair out. These are signs of healing despite it feeling like hurt. Healing hurts as they say. All you can really do is ride it out and try not to get uptight over it. I know it’s hard but it’s just part of it. Do some body scan meditations on yourube