xanax , mixed with alcohol and withdrawal Maybe one rely would help

[me...]

Unfortunately I have severe health anxiety , I was dealing with an anziety symptom (throat tightness) that scared me into a severe setback and panic attacks again after a few years of mild anziety symptoms . I was on Paxil CR25 ruduced from Paxil37.5.  Preparing for a vacation with my wife I was dealing with dealing with severe anziety . I had always had a Xanax Prescription to take as needed . But I found on the Vacation of 10 days I needed to take .25 Xanax maybe 2 times a day . and drank 2 glasses of scotch to calm down evrerynight to sleep. Its almost a year since and that has been my routine to date . Xanax was never a thought as being dependent on it. I assumed it was a small amount that I could stop when I wanted . But after being afraid of my annual Medical Physical which always increases my anziety  my symptoms of anziety increased . Physical was fine all good. But one month before Physical my Therapist started me on a combination of Paxil 25 mg plus a new addition of Lexapro 10 mg      I felt over medicated and afraid of Serotone syndrome .  but I continued as precribed . I think I actually ran out of Xanax for a week or two waiting for mail in prescription . after a month my Doctor increased Lexapro to 20 mg , plus I was on paxil 25 , waiting for Paxil 10 in mail .  soon after I started feeling leg skin symptoms like goosebumps and tingling and muscle tension . I never thought about the fact that I had stopped Benzos waiting for them in mail . But I panicked and stopped the Lexapro cold turkey in Jan . after about two. months . Resumed Benzo .25 as needed , sometimes 1/2 trying to stop . I noe believe the Xanax had me in withdrawal from stopping . I never thought I was having a problem stopping . Plus two scotches a night .  I ve tried to wean off by 1/2 25 3Xday.  for a week . still drinking at night . Can you help me figure out this mess . is it the benzo , Lexapro cold turkey ,,our alcohol combination. Im at my wits end . My doc thinks its withdrawal from Paxil or Lexapro . im on my own and afraid . any answers . it may be confusing , but this is also for me also .

Well Melivn, here is some experience for you to compare with.

I stopped an SSRI (Celexa as opposed to Paxil but they are both SSRIs).  I stopped it while tappering off my benzo.  I can say, stopping the SSRI is a different feeling (more about feelings in the brain like zaps and motion sickness).  Also, stopping the SSRI was much easier for me, I think the symptoms only lasted a few weeks.

For me, stopping the benzo was much more symptomatic and took much, much longer.  I mean months and months of symptoms.

You should note, your experience of running out of benzo (waiting for mail) is common.  That is, it is very common to stop a benzo and be symptom free for several days or even a week and then the symptoms kick in.  For that reason, this all might be a benzo withdrawal issue.

I do not think anyone on Benzo Buddies would say to continue the Scotch.  Certainly you googled "Benzo and Alcohol" and have read the problems.  Try replacing the nightly Scotch with Chamomile Tea (double bag it).  With the tea, you can still have something to sip on and the Chamomile can relax your brain (double bag the tea to get more strength or just buy Chamomile extract).  Then take a very hot bath.  Then take your Xanax before bed to help sleep and while in bed, listen to youtube meditation or hypnosis or calm affirmations (there are a bunch of youtube sleep helps).

Once your are stable and off alcohol, we can talk about a slow Xanax taper (when you are ready for it).

Questions. 

How long since you stopped the Paxil?

How long since you stopped the Lexapro?

How much Xanax are you currently taking?

What time of day do you take your Xanax?

What are your current symptoms?

How are you sleeping?

Hi melvin,

I agree with everything Bob7 said to you, I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress, it scares me to see you take benzo's and alcohol at the same time, they're both respiratory depressants. 

Pamster

I agree I don't take a lot of Xanax maybe 12.5 twice or 3 times day  but is stupid Im just trying to find a way to deal with overwhelming anziety . But I have to take the advise and Gert better

I agree I don't take a lot of Xanax maybe 12.5 twice or 3 times day  but is stupid Im just trying to find a way to deal with overwhelming anziety . But I have to take the advise and Gert better

You wrote 12.5.  Is that mg?  Must be a typo.

Look, if you are just concerned about anxiety and have no sleep issues, see a psychologist (for non-drug behavior help) instead of psychiatrist (who generally give drugs).

The trouble with these drugs is they begin to cause the problem we got on them to fix, if you had anxiety before, they bring it to nuclear levels when your body becomes tolerant to it. Benzo caused anxiety is worse than normal anxiety and the only way to feel better is to taper off and heal from the damage they've done to us. 

I 100% agree with Pamster.

I got on Benzo 13 years ago to address anxiety and insomnia.

When they worked, it was nice (indeed, very nice for about 10 years) but when I reached tolerance I had to stop taking them.

During and after my benzo taper, my issues with anxiety and insomnia were MUCH worse than what I had before I ever took them.

Only now, at about 18 months off benzos, do I feel close to were I was before Benzos.

Now I use non-benzo therapies to deal with my anxiety and insomnia.