Lost the ability to cry, pain and sorrow but can not cry!

[je...]

Emotional blunting is a common symptom of benzo withdrawal, I had it as well. I cried tons while in tolerance but once I started to withdrawal and to recover my emotions went away. Not only could I not cry but I also could not laugh.

For me these emotions came back rather suddenly.  I was watching a funny movie, one I had watched in my early recovery as a distraction. I didn't laugh the first time I saw it. The second time was far different, I laughed and laughed until I was crying.  Another time we were playing a game with friends, someone gave a funny answer and again I laughed until I cried. 

From then on I was able to cry at appropriate sad times and laugh at funny events and situations.  It was such a relief to feel these things again. For me, it was worth waiting for.

PG  :smitten:

I understand how you said "have sorrow and pain , but cannot cry".

This happened to me for a few months. It was such a bizarre thing.

I had sorrow and pain, but no tears at all even though I should have been. Had extreme terror and fear and kept saying I have it on the inside, but when I spoke...I sounded like a dull robot. No animation, no emotions in my speech at all. Really hard to explain unless you have experienced it right?

I remember the first time tears came back...it was the most glorious feeling!! I am a very animated person and can see the huge difference in videos of myself now.

All feelings back.

I truly believe if you had feelings before..then they will come back!

It could be Sjogren's syndrome which is a disorder of your immune system identified by its two most common symptoms — dry eyes and a dry mouth.

The condition often accompanies other immune system disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. In Sjogren's syndrome, the mucous membranes and moisture-secreting glands of your eyes and mouth are usually affected first — resulting in decreased tears and saliva.

Although you can develop Sjogren's syndrome at any age, most people are older than 40 at the time of diagnosis. The condition is much more common in women. Treatment focuses on relieving symptoms.

A good amount of people coming off benzos get this unfortunately. You can search it top right.

I couldn't accept that I had been chemically castrated, that I could no longer live a normal life, that I couldn't feel anything, that I was trapped inside. Can no longer run lively.

I can relate so much to the feeling of anting to cry but not being able.

Maybe this helps: When I wanted to cry but just could not, I would watch an emotional movie and tada... I cried. Maybe even a bit more than absolutely necessary  :'(  A friend of mine does yoga until she hurts a bit and then she is able to cry.

That's a really troubling mental situation - it's as though you're wrapped up like a mummy. I actually became so profoundly saddened at one point, due to numerous loses in my life, I couldn't recover - ended up in the hospital from an OD of barbiturates and Klonopin. I quit Benzos the following 30 day rapid detox period. Haven't been able to cry since, though the profound sadness persists. What's really odd is there have been times, watching comedies on TV, I've somehow been able to laugh. They are distractions, rather than being therapeutic. My cat is my only real therapy and I go through the motions of love towards her, even if I can't quite feel it. I'm still a mummy and worsening in terms of depression, rage, guilt, cognitive function, grip on reality - now at 3.5 yrs. off. I Dr. referred me to see a neurologist - suspects dementia setting in. Was my age when my dad contracted Alzheimer's. 

It depends what you mean by ‘damaged’.

WD does not generally cause actual ‘damage’ like a stroke or demyelination or a traumatic brain injury etc.

As far as we know it seems to cause receptor dysregulation, de coupling etc and this causes neurotransmitter chaos which is generally not permanent.

I do worry about excess glutamate and my Neuro says I should be worried about that as we all should because it is known to underly a number of neurological diseases.

I am afraid that if CNS is damaged, there will be no "time cure". I just hope there's no CNS damage.

Start with a Sig maybe..?? -or a quick little note as to why not..

:)

I havnt posted on here in a while but I saw this and it was a scary symptom that I had. I thought Icould reassure. I had emotional blunting which was bad but I also went a few months unable to shed a tear. I could cry in my mind but no tears would flow.  And my saliva production decreased, as well. They tested me for Sjorens but it was negative. This was very frightening but it slowly went away after a few months. It was definitely gaba damage that corrected itself.

I had this for years. Totally gone now!. never have it anymore, forgot all about it until i saw your post. I can cry, i can feel joy and hope and all the beautiful emotions we take for granted in life. Have hope! you will be here soon too. I was sure i permanently like that, but it was just another monster on the road out of benzo hell. Stay the path!, it ends.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this for years. Totally gone now!. never have it anymore, forgot all about it until i saw your post. I can cry, i can feel joy and hope and all the beautiful emotions we take for granted in life. Have hope! you will be here soon too. I was sure i permanently like that, but it was just another monster on the road out of benzo hell. Stay the path!, it ends.

Very encouraging to hear this. I've had no access to my emotions since I jumped, but on rare occasion will get a very minuscule blip of a warm feeling that gives me some hope. It also seems to help that my back spasms which were severe for the last year or so have abated significantly over the last few days. 

Very encouraging to hear this. I've had no access to my emotions since I jumped, but on rare occasion will get a very minuscule blip of a warm feeling that gives me some hope. It also seems to help that my back spasms which were severe for the last year or so have abated significantly over the last few days.

That warm feeling will grow and grow. Its hard to explain but it sort of vanishes over the horizon - the progress is just so slow you dont actually see it happen, like a sunset, you cant really see when it happens. But you know when its gone.