ADVICE FOR GETTING OFF THAT LAST NIGHTTIME DOSE ...

[ed...]

[ed...]

Hey BB friends.  I've finished a fairly rapid taper of Klonopin 3mg total daily dose and I'm down to 0.25mg at bedtime.  I am stalled out there mostly because of Covid and stress around that (or that is my excuse anyway ... :-)

Anyway, I want to get this taper finished.  My symptoms have settled down and I am doing well for the most part.  Any advice from those who are off about making that final jump??  I have already added Benadryl at bedtime since my nighttime dose is so low now.

Best to everyone here in these difficult times.

Thanks!!

Kate

:smitten:

Hi Kate

.25 mg clonazepam is not a super low dose.  Only compared  to high doses, it is.  My advice would be go to .125 first.  .125 is equivalent to about 2.5 mgs of Valium.  I am at a bit less than that, once a day at night.  I won’t jump from that.  I plan to go to .0625, then maybe jump there. 

Good to see you posting again!  I wondered how you were doing 🙂

I agree with Healing64, that's not a really low dose to jump from, klonopin is very strong.

I would continue to reduce in small amounts, benzo withdrawal is not a race.  Take your time.

PG  :smitten:

[ed...]

Thanks Healing64 and pianogirl.  Yes, I have already decided to half my 0.25 nighttime dose to 0.125.  Maybe I'll just get down to such a scrap of a pill that I'll look at it and say, "Why bother?" !!!

I am doing well overall, even with the recent challenges around the world.  Now that I've tapered this much, I am thinking much clearer and I know now that Klonopin was no longer the friend I thought it was.  I'm gonna wave it goodbye in the near future.  Hope you are doing well!

:smitten:

Hey KAte08. I made the mistake of jumping from Klonapin on 0.125 thinking it was low enough. It was terrible! I'm only a short term user too. Within two days of jumping, my skin was on fire, brain was burning, and my jaw was clenched. I quickly switched to 5mg Valium and tapered to 1mg so far, I am virtually symptom-free now as of the last seven days. I'm still going to taper right down to nothing to prevent any surprises. I would never recommend tapering from Klonapin - too hard!

Good to hear, Kate! 

A direct taper from clonazepam is very possible.  In general.  Not everyone can cross over to another benzo.  For me, no changes and direct taper is fine.  Just have to go slow enough. 

We’re all different in our reactions to these meds. 

[ed...]

Hi Healing64.  I didn't even consider switching to Valium.  My Rx for Klonopin was from my family doc and she is ever so nice but I knew she wouldn't have any idea how to do the Valium switch/taper program and I think it would be difficult to find someone versed in that sort of thing where I live.  So, I started the taper thing on my own in early December based on some research I found, just giving it a go and it went better than I thought it would.  I had the mindset that if it was possible for others, then it would be for me BUT I also had the idea that it I would give it a go BUT if I ran into serious problems, I would try something else i.e. search of a psychiatrist for taper help.

This site has been VERY helpful and supportive.  Thank you all BBs for your support!

:thumbsup: