Valium Vs Xanax?

[Su...]

Hi Buddies,

It's been awhile since I posted anything here and I'm looking for some anecdotal evidence from the BB crew.

I have been tapering Xanax with a side of Valium for three years.  The first year I went too quickly and really messed myself up as I was already in very difficult tolerance when I started.  I have lots of info about what NOT to do when tapering  :thumbsup:  :idiot::sick:

I have hit another wall though, and will probably need to slow my taper down, which would mean another year at least to just get off the Xanax.  I find that idea pretty unbearable.  At this time the rate I taper is pretty unbelievable: I think I made .06mg drop in the last year!  Going any faster meant I couldn't function, I need and want to function.  I still dose 4-5X a day with the Valium -- yes I know the half life of Valium -- yes I know I "shouldn't" have to do that -- I do have to do that.  :-[

So my question is: I could increase my Valium with the hope of speeding up my taper from Xanax hoping that tapering Valium is easier  (right now I might even settle for different, different sxs would be welcome) ( Oh be careful what you ask for  >:D)

My doc will go with anything I suggest, she pretty much allows me to take the lead.

What has people's experience been? 

Is Valium easier to taper than Xanax?  I've read so many conflicting views on this.  Would I just be increasing my benzo intake with little to show for it other than a longer taper.

If the tapering is just different ,how is it different?

I know we're all different and that my system seems to be so sensitized to benzos that the tiniest drop in dosage causes huge consequences.  I'm just not ready to give up yet. 

Any experiences would be welcome!  Thanks in advance

SS

Wow Suffering Sixty has reemerged. I am so pleased. Sorry SS if I had a little trouble understanding the obvious in earlier communications.

My experience is pretty easy to read just looking at my signature The Valium crossover was a godsend, and the 3 or 4 months after it were very easy months as well. But then 2.5 mg Valium hit last July, actually it was more gradual than this description of course, and here I am over 8 months later only 1.2 mgs lower. I do sometimes wonder if Valium gets harder than Xanax at the really low doses since I se a lot of signatures of a lot of people with extremely slow tapers at this under 3mg rang approximately. But I have to confess I do not see a lot of people's signatures of those tapering off Xanax all the way down and the few I have seen on the old Xanax threads, many were quite heroic with the speed of their tapers

I have become a bit more of a believer in the long term taper though this 'belief' really has nothing to do with what I have been doing the last 8 months. I suppose this could be relative since I could have tried to force my way off since I guess you could say my symptoms were tolerable, but the intolerable sure seemed close at hand and when your heartbeat feels so weird it kind sounds the caution alarm I had little EKG about two years ago, and I am pretty athletic, so I equate the heart weirdness to the nature of withdrawal more than an existing problem, plus it is dependent on the nature of my taper. Sorry I hope I am not digressing too much

Maybe others can weigh in on which seems to be more difficult, if there is a difference at low doses. If I had to state a pretty uneducated guess for you SS, I would try to get off the Valium first since I  don't believe it is as likely to show its teeth while your Xanax dosage is lurking in the background

I am sorry to hear you are a little concerned about feeling extra stuck since I know you have amazing patience and resolve.

Please keep us posted and all the best

Matt

Thanks for your reply Matt,

Would you be willing to say what your sxs are with the Valium right now? ( And I'm so sorry that you've hit a wall at this point, so sorry).

Without the Valium I wouldn't be able to taper the Xanax at all, so getting off the Valium first isn't really possible for this body.  I am wondering if increasing the valium, even by 1mg might help to speed things up.  Don't expect you to know that answer, I'm just trying to figure it out for myself.

I don't want to go through the end of taper hell on both benzos.

Hope you are doing well these days of such unrest in the world.

SS

Hi Sorry I misunderstood Yes a little more Valium to get off Xanax sounds really good I mam yet to see anyone hear do well with thee mongrel withdrawal technique

Unfortunately I am having a really tough time. My throat, lung symptoms from acid reflux has gotten perhaps to a breaking point I have chocked a little on my spit from what is happening but it has almost been happening a lot recently and I finally chocked on a bit it really hurt my lungs for 5 to 10 minutes.

Anyway I am not especially afraid to die. Believe it or not I have been singularly focused on the single goal 'to stay  the course' with my taper. If I make it or not there is no going back

I have gotten paresthesia in my feet that is much more serious than before as well but not disabling so far

After I got your message last night to describe some of sxs and it was funny because around that time I got this really very serious/bad feeling/sensation, but I could not really feel it or describe it in anyway at all. All I could say is that it was in some way a ubiquitous feeling. Maybe something like one bodywide contraction or twitch that was on the verge of contracting and you can feel it coming

I hope this is not upsetting to you or anyone else I might finally go back to a GI doctor or take PPI's or something. I have zero faith in any of them, but maybe I am getting in too deep

Hi SS,

It is true we are all different so of course what worked for me may not work for you.. but I had the same experience with Valium that I had interdose withdrawals and had to dose 3x per day for much of my taper. I had switched over from Xanax and I do think it was easier to taper than X (nothing easy about it of course)

And I did go very slow at the end, as Matt said, in fact I did a 1.5 year hold at 2mg, I wanted to get really stable before I tapered the last 2, and once I started tapering again after that long hold I did not experience any major symptoms.

Hi SS,

It is true we are all different so of course what worked for me may not work for you.. but I had the same experience with Valium that I had interdose withdrawals and had to dose 3x per day for much of my taper. I had switched over from Xanax and I do think it was easier to taper than X (nothing easy about it of course)

And I did go very slow at the end, as Matt said, in fact I did a 1.5 year hold at 2mg, I wanted to get really stable before I tapered the last 2, and once I started tapering again after that long hold I did not experience any major symptoms.

When I started here I would have thought it ridiculous or overly cautious or something to see a hold and taper such as yours. Now  I am envious in a way

Hi SS,

When I started here I would have thought it ridiculous or overly cautious or something to see a hold and taper such as yours. Now  I am envious in a way

Agreed Matt. In the beginning, my Dr had me cutting 1mg V every 2 weeks and I thought that seemed reasonable. I remember reading a post by someone who was tapering by .25 every month and I thought that seemed way too slow, like she was dragging it out. Now I totally get it. This is a really long process.

Hi Sorry I misunderstood Yes a little more Valium to get off Xanax sounds really good I mam yet to see anyone hear do well with thee mongrel withdrawal technique

Unfortunately I am having a really tough time. My throat, lung symptoms from acid reflux has gotten perhaps to a breaking point I have chocked a little on my spit from what is happening but it has almost been happening a lot recently and I finally chocked on a bit it really hurt my lungs for 5 to 10 minutes.

Anyway I am not especially afraid to die. Believe it or not I have been singularly focused on the single goal 'to stay  the course' with my taper. If I make it or not there is no going back

I have gotten paresthesia in my feet that is much more serious than before as well but not disabling so far

After I got your message last night to describe some of sxs and it was funny because around that time I got this really very serious/bad feeling/sensation, but I could not really feel it or describe it in anyway at all. All I could say is that it was in some way a ubiquitous feeling. Maybe something like one bodywide contraction or twitch that was on the verge of contracting and you can feel it coming

I hope this is not upsetting to you or anyone else I might finally go back to a GI doctor or take PPI's or something. I have zero faith in any of them, but maybe I am getting in too deep

Oh Matt,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time with the sxs.  Acid reflux is a really ghastly experience.  And I hope that my asking you to articulate sxs didn't add to your distress.  it never ceases to amaze me the many many ways that this "meds"  (I now only think of them as poisons) affect us.  With the rolodex of sxs changing.  I hope that you are getting some sound medical advise around your lungs?

Thank you for taking the time and energy to answer this question.  I do believe that we will all get through this.  And on a slightly black humour note -- we're all prepared for the lockdown that Covid is requiring.... been doing it for years!  funny/not funny

Take good care friend.

SS

Hi SS,

Thanks OliveKitty,

Congratulations on your stepping off after such a long and arduous taper! 

I'm still thinking about the possibility of adding another mg of Valium to see if I could get off the Xanax more quickly.  Of course it's scary to consider going up on anything after working so hard to come down, but my rate of taper is pretty ridiculous.

It's good to hear that the Valium may be a titch easier to withdraw from than Xanax.  All the literature supports that, but my body acts in so many strange ways.  I think mostly because it was in such bad tolerance when I started tapering and then I did a jack rabbit start.  :idiot:

It's so comforting to hear of folks who walked off!  so inspiring, so hope filled.

Thank you!

SS

I will give you my own personal experience with valium i didn't took Xanax i c/t klonopin which i think and Dr Ashton confirm that withdrawal from klonopin is the hardest i believe the second generation of benzos are more potent then valium iam on valium for eight months started at 8.5 i down to 6.5 and holding i don't feel any tolerance issues with valium thats the big plus of this drug so i am holding till i feel 80% and move forward  thats my personal experience with valium i call it a lesser benzo but you cant really compare 1 mg klonopin to 6.5 valium

I will give you my own personal experience with valium i didn't took Xanax i c/t klonopin which i think and Dr Ashton confirm that withdrawal from klonopin is the hardest i believe the second generation of benzos are more potent then valium iam on valium for eight months started at 8.5 i down to 6.5 and holding i don't feel any tolerance issues with valium thats the big plus of this drug so i am holding till i feel 80% and move forward  thats my personal experience with valium i call it a lesser benzo but you cant really compare 1 mg klonopin to 6.5 valium

Thanks for this JD. 

SS

SS, I am very torn about the answer to your question from my point of view.  I have been mulling it over and over since I first saw it.

Updosing is one of those things everyone reacts differently too.  After years on bb and reading a lot of the really experienced members, I think the biggest mistake is not updosing enough, especially when you are doing it to cover another benzo, especially a strong one.  I would just suggest you think over just 1 mg to accomplish this.  You may feel your updose quickly, it could take weeks, or you may not feel it at all.  I know updosing more is the last thing you want to do, but you also don't want to updose and it doesn't work to cover the Xanax.  I hate Valium and know so many others that think it's great.

I just want what ever you decide, you do it with lots of thought, which I know you will.  This has really been a tough road for both of us.  Love you very much.  Please keep us posted.  1 thing I will add, which under normal circumstances, I wouldn't, but with the CV making us all that much more anxious, the added Valium hopefully will help keep that under control.  Mary  :smitten: :smitten:

Pets and love to all the pets.    🐕🐈🐈🐾🐾

Hi SS, I agree with Mary, I think if you add 1mg V and take away the .6 X then you are going to feel it. .6x is what, 6mgV? If it were me I would do a direct crossover and then taper slowly from there.

SS, I am very torn about the answer to your question from my point of view.  I have been mulling it over and over since I first saw it.

Updosing is one of those things everyone reacts differently too.  After years on bb and reading a lot of the really experienced members, I think the biggest mistake is not updosing enough, especially when you are doing it to cover another benzo, especially a strong one.  I would just suggest you think over just 1 mg to accomplish this.  You may feel your updose quickly, it could take weeks, or you may not feel it at all.  I know updosing more is the last thing you want to do, but you also don't want to updose and it doesn't work to cover the Xanax.  I hate Valium and know so many others that think it's great.

I just want what ever you decide, you do it with lots of thought, which I know you will.  This has really been a tough road for both of us.  Love you very much.  Please keep us posted.  1 thing I will add, which under normal circumstances, I wouldn't, but with the CV making us all that much more anxious, the added Valium hopefully will help keep that under control.  Mary  :smitten: :smitten:

Dear Mary

Thank you for this thoughtful and considered response! as usual  :smitten:

Yes I am considering this so so carefully.  One of the reasons that I'm on "so little" Valium is that when I originally went to 10mg I immediately became very depressed.  It was so clearly the V.  Don't like this med either....

But now I've been on the Valium to cover the interdose w/d for so long I wonder if it's doing much -- and if I have to slow down my taper of Xanax any more.... well I simply can't slow down more and think I will be off this poison in this lifetime.  :'(

So while it is an updose, it would be to be able to speed up or maintain the speed that I am coming off the Xanax.

I know I'm asking for everyone to look at into a crystal ball and find the right answer for me  :laugh::D  Oh for that crystal ball!

I'm not anxious, that's seldom been a sxs of mine but do have physical sxs that are wild.  Like I've stuck my finger in a light socket.  And this CV thing is just weird to me... again I'm not anxious, so perhaps the Valium is doing something  :laugh: :laugh:  I guess part of me thinks:  We've survived Benzo Withdrawal, we can survive anything, emotionally that is -- not being cavalier about the physical.

BTW I still take Lithium Orotate as a supplement and it continues to be very helpful with my energy level.

How are you doing?  Do you have a plog?

:smitten:

Whoa I wrote a missive!

Hi SS, I agree with Mary, I think if you add 1mg V and take away the .6 X then you are going to feel it. .6x is what, 6mgV? If it were me I would do a direct crossover and then taper slowly from there.

Hi OliveKitty

I'm taking .06mg and am able to taper .0001 mg daily -- nope I didn't put an extra 0 in there.  :-\ :'(

.06 is equal to about 1mg, so that's what I'm considering, really to speed up my xanax taper.  I truly can't go any slower....

What do you think of that idea?

Dear Mary

Yes I am considering this so so carefully.  One of the reasons that I'm on "so little" Valium is that when I originally went to 10mg I immediately became very depressed.  It was so clearly the V.  Don't like this med either....

But now I've been on the Valium to cover the interdose w/d for so long I wonder if it's doing much -- and if I have to slow down my taper of Xanax any more.... well I simply can't slow down more and think I will be off this poison in this lifetime.  :'(

So while it is an updose, it would be to be able to speed up or maintain the speed that I am coming off the Xanax.

I know I'm asking for everyone to look at into a crystal ball and find the right answer for me  :laugh::D  Oh for that crystal ball!

I'm not anxious, that's seldom been a sxs of mine but do have physical sxs that are wild.  Like I've stuck my finger in a light socket.  And this CV thing is just weird to me... again I'm not anxious, so perhaps the Valium is doing something  :laugh: :laugh:  I guess part of me thinks:  We've survived Benzo Withdrawal, we can survive anything, emotionally that is -- not being cavalier about the physical.

BTW I still take Lithium Orotate as a supplement and it continues to be very helpful with my energy level.

Whoa I wrote a missive!

I had to hold for about 5 months, during that time I switched to Liquid Diazapam and really think I like it better, it's certainly easier.  I just tapered a half mg in 17 days and am feeling pretty good.  Was planning on holding awhile anyway but especially with the CV.  Its all so hard to figure out.  As Cant says, we always need to be willing to try something else if what we are doing isn't working  ;). I don't have a plog, I have a notebook  :laugh: :laugh:  it's always next to my chair so I can easily see what's going on with me.  I wish we had that crystal ball.  Good luck with whatever you decide, I know you will give it a lot of thought.  I truly hope it works  :D. Mary 💜💜

Dear Mary

Whoa I wrote a missive!

I had to hold for about 5 months, during that time I switched to Liquid Diazapam and really think I like it better, it's certainly easier.  I just tapered a half mg in 17 days and am feeling pretty good.  Was planning on holding awhile anyway but especially with the CV.  Its all so hard to figure out.  As Cant says, we always need to be willing to try something else if what we are doing isn't working  ;). I don't have a plog, I have a notebook  :laugh: :laugh:  it's always next to my chair so I can easily see what's going on with me.  I wish we had that crystal ball.  Good luck with whatever you decide, I know you will give it a lot of thought.  I truly hope it works  :D. Mary 💜💜

.5 mg in 17 days sounds great!  way to go!

yes to those notebooks -- I'm on #5. :D  I've said to the partner, you have to know where to find it and to figure out my liquid stuff in case the CV comes knocking at our house!

Thanks as always for your support

SS

Dear Mary

Whoa I wrote a missive!

[/quote

Try switching brands i bet you take teva Diazepam i tried it hated it took it for one month then tossed it to the garbage i live in israel here we cant choose our benzos it is what the country has in stock my luck teva discontinued making diazepam and  now we have crescent diazepam i don't feel depressed with it brands can make all the difference in the world if you have a choice try switching brand

Good luck

Dear Mary

Whoa I wrote a missive!

[/quote

Try switching brands i bet you take teva Diazepam i tried it hated it took it for one month then tossed it to the garbage i live in israel here we cant choose our benzos it is what the country has in stock my luck teva discontinued making diazepam and  now we have crescent diazepam i don't feel depressed with it brands can make all the difference in the world if you have a choice try switching brand

Good luck

Hi JD,

this is a really good point.  I take apo diazepam but i wonder about switching brands.  I'm in Canada where's there's not as much Teva brand medicine used.  On a better note the wave or whatever I was experiencing seems to have passed somewhat and I'm glad I didn't updose . 

I'm still keeping it in my back pocket.

I hope you are well and staying safe during this time!

Thank you!

:thumbsup:

SS