Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Sedatives for medical procedures

[Po...]

I was not sure the best place to post this. Figured here was as good a place as any. I have a procedure coming up, a catheter ablation for atrial flutter. It takes 2-4 hours to do. I know they will sedate me, but I dont know yet what with. Reading online versed is a common sedative used for such procedures. Ive been off of benzos since 2014 and just about finished with a mirtazapine taper. Ive heard that the use of versed for such procedures will not cause problems for folks like us. I think even Ashton said as much.  Id like to know if anyone here has had positive or negative experience with it for such procedures. The other option may be propofol which Ive had for colonoscopy and the like and it caused no problems, but I dont know yet if they will consider using that. Would like to hear from anyone thats had experience with versed. thanks

Pokey

I had bladder cancer surgery and used propofol. The surgery lasted about an hour. I didn't want to use Versed. As it was, I tried Valium, 5 mg., to calm down, but it did nothing. I had no problems with propofol, and that would be my #1 choice.

[ce...]
Agree with Terry, i had Propofol for a procedure a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any adverse effects that i could distinguish from the hell im already in. Recovered very quickly afterwards.

Propofol caused no problems for me.  The anesthesiologist should consult with you before the procedure and you can voice your concerns.

I decided not to take the pre-surgery relaxant. It’s only for pre-op anxiety and I decided to skip it.

I'm the poster child for shoulder surgeries due to a failed first surgery which led to many more. Benzos are listed on my allergy chart.  Sometimes I am asked what my reaction is, other times they tell me that I can decide what medications I want to take, it is my body.

I've had all my surgeries with propofol and no pre or post op benzo.  I do fine with propofol and although I'm usually given anti-nausea meds, I never feel sick afterwards.

pianogirl  :smitten:

I had a chest port removed while tapering alprazolam. I didn't want any medication at all, just topical, since it really is a simple surgery. I said that during my consult, and they said "that's fine." On the day of, I was told they would need 2 nurses on hand to be able to do no sedatives and they weren't staffed for it. So I got versed and fentanyl. Everything was fine.