I think spironolactone put me back in acute

[Pe...]

Sacred to death right now. I started spironolactone two months ago and slowly my skin reactions have gotten worse and I am now back at square one with severe itching and burning. Anyone taken spironolactone?

Yes, I have been taking it for the past few years for high bp. My daughter takes it for acne. I haven't had any problems with it, but like a any drug, that doesn't mean that it can't cause any.

Are you having any other symptoms besides skin reactions? It sounds like you are also having anxiety. Is that part of what is making you feel acute?

Can I ask why you're being prescribed spironolactone? Are you still taking it?

I've been on HCTZ, spironolactone, and Lasix, but I never experienced the rash I've had with Lasix. I didn't realize I was allergic to sulfonamides. I started on 10 mg. a day, 20 mg. being the starting dose. There was a "honeymoon" period when I felt good for about a month, then started getting an awful, itchy rash causing pustules all over my body. I thought that reducing the Lasix would help, but the rash went out of control. I finally stopped taking it after 2 or 3 months. I couldn't take antihistamines or steroids to get rid of it since I have high bp and am very sensitive to pills.

I'd never experienced such a rash before, and it's lasted for almost a year. Some people refrain from gluten. I've still been eating gluten because it calms me down. I can say that I really don't think this rash would have happened had I not been compromised by benzos. Since it's a nerve disorder (I believe), it does definitely flare when I'm nervous or have eaten something sweet.

Although diuretics can be beneficial for some people, I've had bad luck with the ones I've taken and refuse to take anymore. I have swelling from the bp pills I take, but I'd much rather have that than go through this terrible rash and itchiness, which has now caused discolorations. It drives me up a wall!!

Hi

I got distracted about coronavirus happenings and didn't check my posts until today. I take 75mg for high blood pressure. I was on losartan and a common diuretic (can't remember the name right now) and it really wasn't doing much to help.

My daughter was prescribed spirono for acne and when she told me that it also will lower blood pressure and act as a diuretic I asked my doctor if I could try it. I stopped the diuretic immediately and the spirono was increased gradually as I cut out the losartan. I now take only spirono and at my last reading my bp was down to 104/70. The average is around 110-120/75. I've been on it now for about 2 1/2 years with no real problems, which for me is extraordinary. Every med I take usually causes some crazy reaction.

It was helping me with adult acne, but this benzo taper has caused breakouts. They happen in the exact same places on either side of my face, so I'm guessing they're triggered by nerve inflammation that is following a bilateral pathway. It seems like they are lymph fluid-filled rather than oil. I guess this is my version of an itchy rash. I'm sorry that yours is making you so uncomfortable!

I am also sensitive to sulfa based medications. I have heard of some people taking molybdenum to help with general sulphur processing in the body. I wonder if that would have a positive effect on your rash?

I hope your anxiety is waning. That makes everything so much more difficult.

- Liz

• 1 month later...

Omg I have been so preoccupied with work and school I didn’t check any responses here. Thank you guys so much for responding. The rash  like acne is still pretty consistent. I’m on month four now of spironolactone. I’m taking it for acne....Baroness... my acne is all along my jaw and chin and under my jaw. The spironolactone I believe is maybe helping. I don’t know anymore.i have always been acne prone on my chin but I’ve never ever had acne on my jaw and now it is also on either side of my cheeks. Its like rosacea type acne. It’s itches and burns too. I’m so over this. Yes i am sure anxiety makes it worse. I still can’t wear any moisturizer on my skin at all because I react to literally everything so I don’t know but I think the rash like acne is related to allergies from withdrawals. I’m really hoping this goes away over time. I can’t believe I’m over 11 months out and still dealing with this allergy, acne, hormone crap. I appreciate your feedback and knowing y’all take it makes me feel a little better but I know meds affect everyone differently:-/.

Oh and I will add I have tried avoiding gluten, dairy, processed sugar... all of it. My diet was veryyyy limited for most of my withdrawals. Even tried low histamine diet. My skin issues have by far been the worst symptom of withdrawals.