CORONAVIRIS: BEATING THE WORRY!

[f7...]

[f7...]

Hey to all my BB pals!  Yesterday I got fed up with myself about worrying about the virus/stock market and hearing media/people talk about it and what might happen, blah, blah.  I decided to get proactive and sat down and made a list of things I want to do if I get holed up.  By the time I finished the list, I felt so much better.  I saw this is scary BUT it can be an opportunity for me.  Here is my list (putting my soul out there for all to see :-):

1)  Beading (this is my hobby)

2)  Crochet (second hobby ... have two unfinished projects!)

3)  Reading

4)  Netflix movies I have not gotten to

5)  Listen to inspiring podcasts

6)  Genealogy (doing a tree for a cousin ... almost finished :-)

7)  Go for a walk

8)  Cooking (I've gotten lax in this department!)

9)  Drawing/coloring (have an adult coloring book ... unused so far)

10) Clean out my closets and drawers

11) Clean the house for heaven's sake!

12) TAPER OFF THAT LAST 0.25MG OF KLONOPIN!

All of this PLUS wash my hands, avoid large crowds and other prudent precautions.

I'll stop there but you get the idea.  Instead of fretting, I am going to see this as a chance to take care of myself AND do some things I want and/or need to do.  If you've got any ideas of you own, I would love to hear them!  We can do this virus thing!!

:smitten:

P.S. ... I've no idea how that smiley got on #8 and I can't remove it but so what!!!

Love this Kate.

I have zero fear of corona virus, myself. Here is why:

1) I rarely panic about things I have no control over. This was a process! Benzo wd has made me a warrior of chill, even when my CNS is activated I am here for me, holding it down. Remembering I am ok no matter how not ok I am. It's a paradox. We are all suffering and yet, alive.

2) If I do get scared, I turn towards that fear with curiosity. I self soothe, I tell myself it's ok to be afraid. I've survived a lifetime of fear already and it hasn't gotten me yet.

3) I remember that I am a survivor. All of us surviving benzo wd, wherever we are at, are absolute warriors and master survivalists. It's so easy to forget that. Remember how strong you are. Many people could not handle what we handle in one hour. Corona virus has literally nothing on a single one of us, we are so much stronger than it!!!!

4) STAYING AWAY FROM MEDIA. They make a lot money by triggering our fears. This weakens the immune system. I practice self love by avoiding media during this time (actually, all the time lol).

5) When none of that works, Distractions. For me, Netflix, walks, good food, meditation, books, cleaning, replying to BenzoBuddies posts with kindness, calling a friend, sitting outside in the yard, coloring.

6) Logic. Logic saves me over and over, it reduces the fear/anxiety by calming the amygdala down. It's ok to be scared, but please remember that this is a media induced hysteria that has little basis in scientific reality. I am a health scientist, I know many other health scientists, we are appalled by the government and media distortion of all this. Stop watching the news, they are blowing this out of proportion. The fear they are inducing is the real killer. It's murdering your sanity and stability, and weakening your immune system.

7) Serenity Prayer: "God (or the universe, or whatever) grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." I meditate on this. It's a fear killer.

8)Meta Meditation When I'm truly worried about something, or just feeling angry, hopeless, and helpless, I do this. Sit or lie down, and repeat these phrases with eyes closed.

"May I be well, in body heart and mind.

May I be safe from inner and outer danger.

May I be free from pain and suffering.

May I be at ease and be happy."

Then substitute "I" for "all beings"

aka "May all beings be well..." You could add "May all beings be safe from corona virus." and/or "May all beings be healed from corona virus."

This is proven to reduce fear, anxiety, and boost the immunity. I use it for healing from this benzo nightmare. It brings me peace.

[f7...]

Thank you Rose!  You have some great suggestions and a good attitude.  Thanks for adding 'avoiding the media'.  I am doing that also.

To quote you, "May we all be well in body, heart and mind".

Kate

I realize that Clonazepam is a s***,  but also there is an important psycological component in our anxiety.  We are very very sensitive, that is a benzo side effect. Just only bad thoughts and my body reacts suffering. Coronavirus doesn`t help, but try to think in something we can do. THIS ENDS SOMEDAY is my moto. I am very very little healing everyday. I can`t notice it, as I couldn`t notice the progressive deterioration.

My thoughts are modified, I know, conditioned, but I try hard to modify them. It helps me. I know it´s sounds very hard or imposible, but now when I have to do a cut (taper) of my night dose I think that I will sleep better, not very bad sleep as I used to imagine.

So, I know it is VERY VERY hard to cheat our mind, but try. Most success  stories were here, suffered, doubted and didn`t trust. But they recovered, So we will do.

I like this thread. I'm a little off today either sx I could offer more. We are used to uncertainty and kind 9f living on blind faith. So even with this virus I'm not panicking in the uncertainty. I'm used to it. Staying away from the news and keeping hands washed and the rest and staying away from large crowds. I did take a walk and did some cleaning in the house. Panic gets you nowhere.  Stay safe and this too shall pass!  :thumbsup:

[f7...]

Way to go Dehytq2!!  My hubby and I decided yesterday that we will start limiting our time out and avoiding large crowds.  That was the reason for the list I made ... I am going to have more time to fill.  Oh!  I finished #6 on my list ... the family tree for my cousin.  I emailed it to her this afternoon.

:thumbsup:

That's great Kate! I would love to do that. How do you do a family tree. Omg. I really am dumb toda6m last cut hit ha5d, but I'm ok. ❤❤

[f7...]

I am a member of ancestry.com and I did my family tree there.  You may be able to do one on familysearch.com without being a member.  At least you used to be able to ...

Glad you are doing well!

Kate

What are some positive podcasts (or audiobooks)?

I’m really struggling with all of this. Over the years my major triggers have involved exactly a situation like this. I’m trying to reason around how this is going to be okay. It’s put me into a bit of a wave, though, and my coping skills aren’t as successful as I need them to be.

My insomnia has kicked back up and I need to figure out how to return to baseline.

[f7...]

Stephen, you can to go YouTube and put anything you want in their search engine.  For example, you could put in "Calming Anxiety and Fear" or "Insomnia" and you'll get lots of hits.  One person I like in particular is Jason Stephenson who does a lot of great, soothing meditations.  Eckhart Tolle is another favorite of mine.  And there are some inspiring TED talks on YouTube about coping with anxiety, depression and such.

Kate

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not panicking about covid.  I choose to follow positive thoughts.  As long as I’m being sensible and logical and following protocol, I realize there’s nothing more I can do to prevent.  So, rather, I put my attention on positive outcomes.

My list includes:

Read novels

Practice meditation

Eat healthy meals

Paint entire cottage - done 🙂

Clean everything

Long warm bath daily

Watch funny and romantic Netflix  - not news

Chalk paint a few furniture pieces

Clean closets

Continue to taper

I’m reclusive by nature.  I live alone.  Yes, a bit lonely.  But I am feeling good.  :thumbsup:

Here's another one I made of taking a break from isolation by going for a walk in the park next to my house.

The "STOP" at the end was intended to be symbolic.

I guess I should check back in. Shortly after I posted I started meditating for real again and stopped reading or watching news. I bounced back fairly quickly and for the last couple of weeks I've been getting really good sleep and I feel back to baseline where I was before this all started. It turns out all the coping mechanisms built up during withdrawal (acceptance, distress tolerance, etc.) are actually quite useful for this.

I guess I should check back in. Shortly after I posted I started meditating for real again and stopped reading or watching news. I bounced back fairly quickly and for the last couple of weeks I've been getting really good sleep and I feel back to baseline where I was before this all started. It turns out all the coping mechanisms built up during withdrawal (acceptance, distress tolerance, etc.) are actually quite useful for this.

Right?! Same here.

[f7...]

Thanks for the update Stephen and glad to hear you are doing well.

:thumbsup:

Here's how I beat the worry

(I.e. by making YouTube videos of myself beating the worry ...)

I love your videos! And the music, too - thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Love this Kate.

1) I rarely panic about things I have no control over. This was a process! Benzo wd has made me a warrior of chill, even when my CNS is activated I am here for me, holding it down. Remembering I am ok no matter how not ok I am. It's a paradox. We are all suffering and yet, alive.

2) If I do get scared, I turn towards that fear with curiosity. I self soothe, I tell myself it's ok to be afraid. I've survived a lifetime of fear already and it hasn't gotten me yet.

3) I remember that I am a survivor. All of us surviving benzo wd, wherever we are at, are absolute warriors and master survivalists. It's so easy to forget that. Remember how strong you are. Many people could not handle what we handle in one hour. Corona virus has literally nothing on a single one of us, we are so much stronger than it!!!!

4) STAYING AWAY FROM MEDIA. They make a lot money by triggering our fears. This weakens the immune system. I practice self love by avoiding media during this time (actually, all the time lol).

5) When none of that works, Distractions. For me, Netflix, walks, good food, meditation, books, cleaning, replying to BenzoBuddies posts with kindness, calling a friend, sitting outside in the yard, coloring.

6) Logic. Logic saves me over and over, it reduces the fear/anxiety by calming the amygdala down. It's ok to be scared, but please remember that this is a media induced hysteria that has little basis in scientific reality. I am a health scientist, I know many other health scientists, we are appalled by the government and media distortion of all this. Stop watching the news, they are blowing this out of proportion. The fear they are inducing is the real killer. It's murdering your sanity and stability, and weakening your immune system.

7) Serenity Prayer: "God (or the universe, or whatever) grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." I meditate on this. It's a fear killer.

8)Meta Meditation When I'm truly worried about something, or just feeling angry, hopeless, and helpless, I do this. Sit or lie down, and repeat these phrases with eyes closed.

aka "May all beings be well..." You could add "May all beings be safe from corona virus." and/or "May all beings be healed from corona virus."

This is proven to reduce fear, anxiety, and boost the immunity. I use it for healing from this benzo nightmare. It brings me peace.

I love this and made a copy for myself. Wonderful words!

Love this Kate.

This post, though a few weeks old, is being addressed in response to a recent report to moderator due to the seriousness of the current Covid19 pandemic.  Normally we would not moderate a post this old.

Some of the comments in this post are astoundingly wrong. If you are following the news of this outbreak as many of us have been doing since it hit China, you now understand how devastating it is and how vital the role of the media has been.

If you aren’t following this on the news, please educate yourself. It will save lives.

Here's another YouTube link, not to one of my videos, but to a very nice video with some good and relaxing music. I love the instrument combo of cello and kora: