Trying again to decrease but not feeling well

[Vi...]

Hello,

I am trying again to decrease form .5 to .25.  I took the great advice to alternate days of .5 and .25 and I seem to have less "weird" symptoms.  I definitely feel like the brain fog is lifting. Trying to get more exercise something I am reading on this site that has been helpful.  But having some negative thoughts and when I take the ativan dose they appear to go away. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

Hi Vivica. You don’t say when your last cut was, but you may want to consider holding a bit longer. Sometimes another day or two can make a difference.

My last decrease was mid February when I went from 1 mg per day to .5mg and I suffered. Stayed at .5 for about 3.5 weeks and tried to go to .25 but it was tough. Now trying every other day .5/.25

But planning on just .25 starting Monday. Then hopefully off in 2-4 weeks

The withdrawal symptoms are not constant but when they come I don’t feel well

Vivica, What is your medication? Is the Ativan a rescue pill prescribed while you are tapering from another benzo, or you are coming off of Ativan?

Also, alternating from 0.25 mg  to 0.5 mg day after day, I am unfamiliar with? Can you explain the idea behind it if you do not mind. I am near my tapering from 2 mg clonazepam, down to 0.125 mg, not feeling well at all, throughout my taper experiencing all withdrawal symptoms mentioned in the Ashton Manual, I would like to know if alternating days works. Thank you

My last decrease was mid February when I went from 1 mg per day to .5mg and I suffered. Stayed at .5 for about 3.5 weeks and tried to go to .25 but it was tough. Now trying every other day .5/.25

But planning on just .25 starting Monday. Then hopefully off in 2-4 weeks

The withdrawal symptoms are not constant but when they come I don’t feel well

I don't know what drug you are on but a cut from .5 to .25 is a 50 percent reduction which is huge. Why don't you try smaller cuts? I think you will find it much easier to handle.

Hello,

I am tapering down from Ativan.  I saw on this site that some recommended alternating days when trying to taper.  It is hard but I have done it for the past week.  I was trying to cut the pills to not have such a big decrease but the pills would just crumble and I was wasting the medication.  I find myself dealing with some underlying depression especially on the days when I only take .25.  Any suggestions on how to manage would be helpful.

Thanks

Normally inconsistent dosing isn't recommended. It sends mixed messages to your central nervous system since it's getting such a big difference in doses.  Usually it's best to retain a steady level of the medication in your bloodstream and taper from that at a slow and steady pace.

Vivica Do you have a scale? If so crumbs can be scooped up

As to the the two withdrawing strategies here

1 Try taking your dose every other day

2 Take the dose you are reducing from on day one and the dose you are reducing two on day 2

They are kind of a version of the same idea. I certainly would have difficulty in understanding why number 2 is putting a greater strain on the body than number 1

Hi Vivica

I think alternate days dosing is more towards end of taper and longer acting benzos.  Yes, the pills are small.  Can you compound them into a liquid and take smaller cuts?  Much smaller.  You will not get through with no wd symptoms.  It’s a matter of coping and acceptance.  Your brain is working to heal.  Check out tapering strategies so you can find a way to be more exact.  Can this med be prescribed a lower dose? 

Thank you

So am i doing more harm than good?  I do not have a scale.  Because I have so many 1mg tablets I doubt I can get prescribed .5 mg tablets.  I was on 1 mg three times per day in January and started my taper in February. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

If you have a lot of 1mg tablets then using a scale might be the way to go.

Would you like more information about this?

Yes, I'd also suggest you make much smaller cuts. Or you try liquid tapering.

Ativan is strong, so even little cuts can give you withdrawal symptoms.

Take care.

Vivica,

Great advice and yes, back and forth with doses isn't good, way too difficult for the CNS.  I did that in the beginning and was advised to stop and that's when I began my daily liquid micro taper.  Thank you, benzobuddies.

Vivica

I don’t know about doing more harm than good.  I think the support is meant to help you think of a less symptomatic way to taper.  Less struggle, more success.  Slower taper, smaller cuts is easier on your brain and nervous system.  It’s helpful to explain to your dr that you want to taper, pills are hard to cut, you need a lower dose to succeed etc.  Perhaps you can get a new prescription and return the larger doses to the pharmacy at same time?  I returned a lot of cuts of pills to pharmacy, because I had no idea what the doses actually were.  Of course, I made sure I had my new prescription of lower dose filled and in hand first. 

Hello,

Thanks for the support. i have been at .25 for 3 days now and doing ok with anxiety. Feel very depressed and having headaches. Not sure if it is the tapering or my depression worsening.  Recently started Wellbutrin.  Very tough to handle.

Hi  Vivica

Good to hear you tapered to one even dose  each day. 

How long have you been on the anti depressant?

It’s very hard to say what’s causing the symptoms.  Could be either one  or both.  I think try not to focus on symptoms.  If you’re coping, then carry on.  It’s only been a few days at .25.  Give everything time. 

I have been on several since 8/2018 when ativan was started.  I am very sensitive to medications and had multiple trials.  Currently on two antidepressants one is for augmentation of the first.  Still having depressive feelings and now with more isolation due to pandemic make it even harder.

Thanks

I had been doing cuts of .25 and found it very difficult. I’m about to do my next cut but this time I’m doing half of that as recommended by my psychiatrist. I’ll let you know how it goes but .25 is hard. I would try half and see.