Polypharmacy Causes Depression - Kelly Brogan MD

[Wi...]

Currently, more than one-third (37.2%) of U.S. adults are unknowingly taking at least one medication that can trigger or directly cause depression.

In addition to psychiatric drugs, the list includes more than 200 commonly prescribed meds such as: hormonal contraceptive medications, beta-blockers, blood pressure and heart medications, proton pump inhibitors, antacids and painkillers. Also included are various OTC medications.

Studies found that the greater the number of medications used, the greater the prevalence of concurrent depression:

https://kellybroganmd.com/medications-causing-depression/?utm_source=Kelly+Brogan+MD+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5656883c65-Are+Your+Medications+Causing+Depression%3F&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d0f977a8c5-5656883c65-123956213

Add bp pills to that list.

Thank you for this, Wildflower. I think Dr. Brogan is well ahead of her time, and I find her very informative.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Wildflower...the article was very informative. I can't believe how many people are on multiple meds...depression must be running rampant.

No doubt, depression is a major cause of people shutting down and not able to socialize/communicate as they would otherwise if not on multiple drugs...or even one drug in itself can be the culprit to depression.

So very sad.

By the way Terry, I broke down and bought another coffee maker.......since I can no longer safely drink coffee at a coffee shop. I have yet to use it. Need to still wash it. I'm surprised I haven't yet used it given how much I enjoy drinking it on occasion :)...the coffee maker was delivered to my door at least a month ago.

I'm still making coffee at home, Blue Rose. I think about going to Peet's but don't want to chance it. I can't seem to stay away from coffee because the pills I take cause tremendous lethargy and depression, especially now with the coronavirus and social distancing, too.

I hope the coffeemaker works out well! I can't get myself to open the Instant Pot I bought. I still haven't taken it out of the delivery box. It's been sitting on the floor next to the door for over a week. For me, it just seems to overwhelming to my brain to learn how to use it.

Thank you Wildflower...the article was very informative. I can't believe how many people are on multiple meds...depression must be running rampant.

You're welcome, BlueRose. Take care.

You take care Wildflower too...hope all is well with you. I love your purple flowers...they're so beautiful.

BlueRose, very hard times...as for many of us, I know. We hang on to tiniest bits of beauty! Thank you for your kindness. It makes such a difference. Godspeed with your healing.

There is beauty in so many things...it is amazing how many things I have yet to explore and to find beauty from. Sadly, the earth has been pummeled by gross mismanagement.

I believe the earth will never be destroyed. And a rainbow of colors will eventually  blanket the earth's diverse landscape and without a hint of struggle. The animal kingdom with all its harmonious sounds, will from dawn too dusk in symphonic praise bow to the one who made it all possible. We can also look forward to having full clarity of mind.

These are things that I'm looking forward to in the very near future. That purple flower is one that I am partial to. :)