Blood pressure medication- advice please

[Pt...]

This is not about me but for my mom, but I trust BenzoBuddies opinion on medications and experience.

Being my 24 hour caregiver for a year, my mom has developed high blood pressure. It has been extremely stressful for her as you all can Imagine. Can anyone give their personal experience on a good / safe blood pressure medicine that worked well for you? Of course we are seeing a doctor and listening to their recommendations and advice

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I take carvedilol. I've taken it for 10 years for high bp. I've never had any problems. It makes my bp pretty much normal. My dose is 6.25 mgs  which is rather low but I've never had to increase it. My partner takes metoprolol. No problems there, either. Your doc will suggest an appropriate med and an appropriate dosage. 

Hope this helps.

Katz

I take:

Metoprolol (beta blocker) - I recently lowered it from 100 mg twice a day to 50 mg twice a day with no problem

Chlorthalidone (diuretic) - low dose of 12.5 mg

Losartan (angiotensin receptor blocker or ARB) - 25 mg

I was on lisinopril (ACE inhibitor) but it didn't work well, so switched to the Losartan.

IMO, it's impossible to know what bp pill is going to work for her. She's just going to have to try one out and see. I can say that there are risks to every single one of them. Although I've taken 16 bp drugs, I've found that none of them helped. But that's me. Good luck to her!

Although I've taken 16 bp drugs, I've found that none of them helped.

Do you really mean you tried 16 blood pressure drugs (are there that many?) and none of them "helped" as in worked to lower your bp?

Katz