Need a friend who's recovered (preferably female)

[tr...]

I'm 9 days in being ativan free after a rapid WD (see profile). I need a friend who has recovered from this. A mentor if you will.Maybe someone I can PM. I know this is bold to put it out there like this, but I am alone a lot. I don't know anyone who has done a benzo WD. Maybe to chat also about everyday life and not just WD. Someone to encourage me to keep breathing.It can be a long day in your own head space. I have friends but they work full time, don't "get it", or I don't want to be exhausting their goodness. I am an LMSW ( not currently working), so I know the importance connection with others. Thanks everyone.

Current symptoms are DP/DR, heavy headed and swim, burning skin, insomnia, altered cognition, depression, anxiety,weakness, imbalance, low appetite.

trina,

I am your friend, and I know you know that. Feel free to lean on me a bit. I sure know how weird you feel and how this frightens you. Like me, you are a part of the medical system, and we thought we knew a lot about this stuff. To find out you DONT is kind of scary. I think about the 5 years I worked on a psych unit and in a detox. Never once did a patient tell me how bad their withdrawal symptoms were! I know why now - they were afraid if they told the truth they would be "committed." Both you and I know that would not happen, but trust me, back in that first year of bwd, I thought they WOULD come drag me back to a psych hospital!

big hug to my friend,

Annie

Thanks Annie - you've def been a rock so far and a few others have jumped in too to encourage me. God bless you all!!

trina,

I haven't recovered - I'm in the mists of valium withdrawal (7 weeks in).  You sound like one strong woman - I know you probably don't feel like it right now - but by god you sound amazingly strong.  I don't know the answers to withdrawal.  I do know that being kind to yourself, doing as much self care as possible.  Having as many nice thoughts about yourself (hard during withdrawal) helps.  Yesterday I was chanting in my car "I'm brave, I'm strong, I'm getting though this" and it kinda of helped with the panic I was feeling about when this withdrawal beast would be banished. 

I know what it's like to be alone - I spend a lot of time running away from loneliness.  I wish I knew the answer to being alone and loneliness for you too.  I'm sending you a hug though - I know you will get through this - with flying colours.  I also believe it's not going to last forever - and this helps too - when the bone crunching waves over turn me.  Hang in there Trina - you got this.

xx

Thanks Bess - I guess we are journeying this together! Hugs to you too. BTW - I don't feel strong - I used to feel that I was! What a hot mess this is right?

I talk to myself too with positive affirmations - you have to!

My loneliness has been replaced with two teens home from school for goodness knows how long.. but now its the pressure of trying to be strong for them!

One day we will write a recovery story. Until then I plan to educate the heck out of everyone about this - never take a benzo and this is why!!

Trina, you might also want to start a buddie blog. Lots of people support one another and ‘visit’ each other’s blogs. I’m female and recovered...I’d be happy to stop in at your blog and offer reassurance and hope.

Buddie Blogs

:smitten:

Please feel free to PM anytime.  I jumped off Alprazolam in Dec. 2019, but still have lingering side effects.  Like you, the world situation has amped them up quite a bit.  The unknown is scary, but communicating with other people that are dealing with withdrawal & this virus scare does help.  Take care.  I hope to hear from you.  -JS

• 2 weeks later...

Trina, I can be be part of your support network if you like.

Please read my story below. I have recovered from Ativan and I think I can support you.

However, I am Swiss, so my English is sometimes a bit funny. ::)

Take care!

Satasha

I'm around if you ever wish to speak. I'm two months off of benzos, and I consider myself fully recovered. Shoot a message whenever you want to chat.  :smitten:

satasha: Last week was more manageable - but this week I got hit hard with symptoms...going day by day. It's crazy how this process is so unpredictable!! thanks for checking in!!

How are you?

• 4 weeks later...