i have mdd and gad - should i try tapering off klonopin?

[id...]

hi all,

i've been dealing with major depression disorder and general anxiety disorder for a long time.  i am a long time user of klonopin for my anxiety. im thinking about tapering off klonopin due to my high dependance/tolerance.  i also read that benzos can worsen the effect of depression however im afriad my depression and anxiety would get worst during the withdraw period.  would it he advisable to attempt the tape off?  its a double edge  sword since im addicted to klonopin but i also need it to control my anxiety.  any feedback would he appreciate it.

Hello idonk,

May I ask, are you on an antidepressant at the moment, this might help us help you figure this out.  In fact, if you'll give us a bit more information about yourself, and put it in your signature, we'd be able to tell at a glance where you're at in your journey.  Here are the instructions. Add your history/signature 

Could you tell us how long you've been taking Klonopin, the reason I ask is if you've become tolerant to it, it may be adding to your anxiety and tapering from and recovering from it may just help alleviate some of your anxiety.

i was on celexa but i have switched over to prestiq couple of months ago because of relapse of my depression.  ive been taking klonopin for about 10 yrs now.  i find that i need to increase the dosage of klonopin periodically otherwise my depression and anxiety would get worst.  im not sure if the relapse of my depression is due to being on the same dosage of klonopin for too long or if its because i was on celexa for too long.  prestiq hasnt been helping with my depression at all.  im thinking maybe long period usage of benzo may be the problem.  thats why im thinking of tapering it off klonopin.

I’m in the same boat. I’m thinking maybe tapering off some but not entirely may be beneficial. Then see how I feel. If I feel better, I’ll keep going. Don’t have any firm plans yet.

Can you list your symptoms? My understanding is that you have anxiety and depression but a little bit more information would be helpful. So far you are 100 percent on the right track, depression, increased anxiety are some of the tolerance symptoms.

i was on celexa but i have switched over to prestiq couple of months ago because of relapse of my depression.  ive been taking klonopin for about 10 yrs now.  i find that i need to increase the dosage of klonopin periodically otherwise my depression and anxiety would get worst.  im not sure if the relapse of my depression is due to being on the same dosage of klonopin for too long or if its because i was on celexa for too long.  prestiq hasnt been helping with my depression at all.  im thinking maybe long period usage of benzo may be the problem.  thats why im thinking of tapering it off klonopin.

Thanks for adding your information to your signature and I can see you putting the pieces of this puzzle together.  You've had to increase your dose because your body has grown tolerant, can you keep increasing it again and again, do you have a Dr who will do this for you?  If not, then as I see it, your only option is to get off of it.  As I mentioned in my other post to you, the drug begins to cause the issue you went on it to solve, so how much of what you're feeling is you and how much is caused by the drug?

The only way to know this is to taper and heal from the damage it's done to you. 

Can you list your symptoms? My understanding is that you have anxiety and depression but a little bit more information would be helpful. So far you are 100 percent on the right track, depression, increased anxiety are some of the tolerance symptoms.

anhedonia

You are right it is a very challenging decision. Even though you are experiencing some tolerance symptoms your situation (in my opinion) is good to start a very slow taper. I think you are stable enough to get through withdrawal hopefully with relatively mild or no symptoms but you need to work out a good taper schedule. Taper might take a very long time (probably you know this already) but at the end it worth it. Position yourself in a way that your taper cause the least disruption to your life. Start the taper when you feel you are ready, when you can enlist support from family, friends, support at work in case you feel ill at times, understanding people can really help to make you feel better and lessen anxiety, depression. Start tapering when you don't expect major life events, make sure you work with a good doctor. Doesn't make sense to delay too long though as more tolerance symptoms may show up, get worse and you will be in a pretty bad shape potentially throughout your journey. That is what happened to me, did not have a chance to make plans, my tolerance symptoms came suddenly and violently.

as i mentioned i had switched antidepressant (celexa to prestiq).  im in the process of asking my doc to prescribe me a new antidepressant since i did not find prestiq helpful with my depression.  from experience switching one antidepressant over to another makes anxiety and depression worst.  should i wait until i find the right antidepressant before i start tapering? sorry if im asking too many questions. 

My diagnosis is MDD and GAD and I’m getting off the benzo because I know it was making my depression worse. My depression is much better the lower I get in dose.

I do agree that you should try to stabilize on the AD before you start trying to taper the benzo.