Totally Healed - Success Story

[ja...]

Hello,

First, I would like to thank those at Benzobuddies that gave me compassion and direction at a time where no one in my life could help me.  For that, I am forever grateful. 

My name is Chris (Jazzy095) and a few years ago, I came to Benzobuddies with no memory, withdrawing from Benzos.  Not sure how much I should go into my personal issues, not that I don’t want to, but going to try and balance what others interests, which are likely mostly benzo related. I’ll keep as brief as possible but want to describe a few additional symptoms that funneled me into using Benzo’s in the first place incase someone else might have the same issues this narrative could help.

So, about 10 years ago or so, I was having problems with thinking clearly, had high blood pressure, and pushed off the problems with additional substances.  I was not taking care of myself healthwise and was partying every weekend HARD, drinking tons of caffeine and drinking.  The problems became exacerbated as time progressed.

About 3 years ago, my lack of memory became so bad, I had to quit my job to figure out why I was having such bad cognition problems.  I was using benzo’s for two things, 1. To help manage my blood pressure which was uncontrolled, didn’t help much. 2. Help keep my mind clear as much as possible so I could think at work on meeting days etc.

Long story short, I was using Klonopin daily just to keep my mind straight.  Before I knew it, I was taking 2-3 milligrams per day. Oh yea, was mixing in a little Lorazapam as well towards the end.

The first thing I want the new Benzobuddie to understand is that you are going to be TOTALLY FINE!  This is a temporary condition so just hang in there. After I went to the emergency room and found out I was going through withdrawl, I did mine cold turkey.  It was fucking rough!  Long story short, I had to sit at home for 1 year before I started to really recover.  During that time, you are going to start feeling better through the months but have got to give it time.  I literally played Xbox and watched podcasts for around 9 months because I could not do anything else.  Find a hobby and before you know it, your going to be making progress.

To assist with your recovery, be sure you are eating a clean diet.  I personally found meat was giving me Benzo symptoms like lack of memory, paranoia, etc.  Come to find out, NUTRITION WAS MY BIGGEST LIFE ISSUE. After I gave up eating meat, my memory significantly cleared up. For example, to improve health, you can buy a Vitamix, try Tofu (favorite food now) I was a steak eater for God sake.  Crazy how far you will move from comfort for good health.  Also, make sure you are consistently exercising if possible.  Running helped me the best in this regard.  I’m currently running about 20 miles a week.

It may be very hard for you to sleep.  Benadryl is your friend and will help you manage sleep until you can on your own.

Its going to be hard to communicate this process to family members.  I was having crazy problems with my wife understanding what was happening.  Now that she has seen the progress, she is now trusting the process.  As I mentioned, Benzo’s were a small, but hugely significant part of my problems.  Just tell your family members its going to be a long process and they will see progress, but it’s going to take time and the best thing they can do for you is not to stress you out.

During the end, I tried Ginko Biloba as someone mentioned on this forum, and it definitely had a positive effect that helped pull me from the Benzo fog. The forum post mentioned taking a crazy amount.  I just took like 3 pills a day and it worked for me.

Someone asked on here if you could still use Benzo’s after having this type of withdrawal reaction.  I could not imagine wanting to at the time, but I actually am happy to report that it did work fine.  I have had residual medication from years past that I’ve used to manage a very occasional anxiety issues on very occasion (like you are supposed to use it lol). Worked great for sparing use.

Another thing that has been helping me lately is the Wim Hoff method with regards to breathing.  It can’t hurt, check it out. There is a JRE podcast on it if interested.

I cannot be more thankful to this community.  For the new Benzobuddie, just know you are in the right place!  Just try and keep positive.  You are going to recover, but its going to take time. Just find a hobby to take you through the time and you’ll be better before you know it.  I hope this helps and if you have questions with blood pressure management or diet transition, I’m happy to help.  Thanks.

Jazzy,

Many thanks for sharing your story with us! So glad you've fully recovered. Your post gives hope to many. And also, there are intetesting tips. I will definitely check out the breathing technique you mentioned!

SG

Jazzy,

Congratulations on getting through a very difficult time, cold turkey from a pretty high dose of benzos!

You did it though and have made significant changes to all parts of your life, I'm so happy for you.

Thanks for sharing this message of hope for all!

pianogirl  :smitten:

Hello,

First, I would like to thank those at Benzobuddies that gave me compassion and direction at a time where no one in my life could help me.  For that, I am forever grateful. 

My name is Chris (Jazzy095) and a few years ago, I came to Benzobuddies with no memory, withdrawing from Benzos.  Not sure how much I should go into my personal issues, not that I don’t want to, but going to try and balance what others interests, which are likely mostly benzo related. I’ll keep as brief as possible but want to describe a few additional symptoms that funneled me into using Benzo’s in the first place incase someone else might have the same issues this narrative could help.

So, about 10 years ago or so, I was having problems with thinking clearly, had high blood pressure, and pushed off the problems with additional substances.  I was not taking care of myself healthwise and was partying every weekend HARD, drinking tons of caffeine and drinking.  The problems became exacerbated as time progressed.

About 3 years ago, my lack of memory became so bad, I had to quit my job to figure out why I was having such bad cognition problems.  I was using benzo’s for two things, 1. To help manage my blood pressure which was uncontrolled, didn’t help much. 2. Help keep my mind clear as much as possible so I could think at work on meeting days etc.

Long story short, I was using Klonopin daily just to keep my mind straight.  Before I knew it, I was taking 2-3 milligrams per day. Oh yea, was mixing in a little Lorazapam as well towards the end.

The first thing I want the new Benzobuddie to understand is that you are going to be TOTALLY FINE!  This is a temporary condition so just hang in there. After I went to the emergency room and found out I was going through withdrawl, I did mine cold turkey.  It was fucking rough!  Long story short, I had to sit at home for 1 year before I started to really recover.  During that time, you are going to start feeling better through the months but have got to give it time.  I literally played Xbox and watched podcasts for around 9 months because I could not do anything else.  Find a hobby and before you know it, your going to be making progress.

To assist with your recovery, be sure you are eating a clean diet.  I personally found meat was giving me Benzo symptoms like lack of memory, paranoia, etc.  Come to find out, NUTRITION WAS MY BIGGEST LIFE ISSUE. After I gave up eating meat, my memory significantly cleared up. For example, to improve health, you can buy a Vitamix, try Tofu (favorite food now) I was a steak eater for God sake.  Crazy how far you will move from comfort for good health.  Also, make sure you are consistently exercising if possible.  Running helped me the best in this regard.  I’m currently running about 20 miles a week.

It may be very hard for you to sleep.  Benadryl is your friend and will help you manage sleep until you can on your own.

Its going to be hard to communicate this process to family members.  I was having crazy problems with my wife understanding what was happening.  Now that she has seen the progress, she is now trusting the process.  As I mentioned, Benzo’s were a small, but hugely significant part of my problems.  Just tell your family members its going to be a long process and they will see progress, but it’s going to take time and the best thing they can do for you is not to stress you out.

During the end, I tried Ginko Biloba as someone mentioned on this forum, and it definitely had a positive effect that helped pull me from the Benzo fog. The forum post mentioned taking a crazy amount.  I just took like 3 pills a day and it worked for me.

Someone asked on here if you could still use Benzo’s after having this type of withdrawal reaction.  I could not imagine wanting to at the time, but I actually am happy to report that it did work fine.  I have had residual medication from years past that I’ve used to manage a very occasional anxiety issues on very occasion (like you are supposed to use it lol). Worked great for sparing use.

Another thing that has been helping me lately is the Wim Hoff method with regards to breathing.  It can’t hurt, check it out. There is a JRE podcast on it if interested.

I cannot be more thankful to this community.  For the new Benzobuddie, just know you are in the right place!  Just try and keep positive.  You are going to recover, but its going to take time. Just find a hobby to take you through the time and you’ll be better before you know it.  I hope this helps and if you have questions with blood pressure management or diet transition, I’m happy to help.  Thanks.

Thank you for sharing. Please keep updating.

I feel so scared like this never ends.1

Great story, thanks so much for coming back and reinforcing for others like me that healing is a reality.  it can be hard to believe with so many 'groundhog' days of persisting symptoms, but so many people have reported full healing that I BELIEVE it will happen.

As to the Wim Hoff method (highlighted above) I would caution some folks that the Wim Hoff breathing exercise may cause tinnitus like symptoms afterward.  For anyone already dealing with tinnitus you will want to think twice, thrice, or a hundred times before giving this a try.  I like Wim's cold therapy and there is solid science behind how it stimulates the Vagus Nerve, and I have used it with success, but I recommend steering clear of the hyperventilating breathing exercise until you are at least withdrawal recovered.  As an alternative for breath work, I recommend checking out Buteyko Breathing or 'The Oxygen Advantage'.

Cheers,

RR

Great story, thanks so much for coming back and reinforcing for others like me that healing is a reality.  it can be hard to believe with so many 'groundhog' days of persisting symptoms, but so many people have reported full healing that I BELIEVE it will happen.

As to the Wim Hoff method (highlighted above) I would caution some folks that the Wim Hoff breathing exercise may cause tinnitus like symptoms afterward.  For anyone already dealing with tinnitus you will want to think twice, thrice, or a hundred times before giving this a try.  I like Wim's cold therapy and there is solid science behind how it stimulates the Vagus Nerve, and I have used it with success, but I recommend steering clear of the hyperventilating breathing exercise until you are at least withdrawal recovered.  As an alternative for breath work, I recommend checking out Buteyko Breathing or 'The Oxygen Advantage'.

Cheers,

RR

Thank you RR, for that info and insight.

Thanks for sharing your story.  No doubt diet can impact anxiety and mood.  I’ve heard that probiotics can help keep the gut calm.

I like all kinds of food and can’t see myself giving up meat completely.  I need the variety in my diet.  I rarely go to restaurants and always cook fresh food.

My biggest concern is all the sweets I’ve been craving after being off Ativan.  I never had a sweet tooth, but now I cannot get enough sweets.