Sharing tools to reduce depression

[...]

Hi Buddies,

I understand, unless someone experiences true Major or Clinical depression, they cannot relate.

I had my battles with this real type of depression.

I seem to be nearly healed of it, it as been mostly gone now for a few years.  Here are some tools which seem to help.

(1)  I found I had the MTHFR mutation (known to cause depression and anxiety) and I started taking special supplements.  I have not had depression since I started taking these supplements.  In fact, sometimes when I feel the depression starting, it goes away within an hour of the bedtime supplement.

-At bed I take Pyridoxal 5’-Phosphate and Niacin and also some zinc with it.

-At morning I take L-methylfolate form of B9 (do NOT take any folic acid) and Methylcobalamin

(2) I also had the same effect from 5-HTP, was it a coincidence?  However, I only tried this one or two times because the MTHFR supplements seem to be working so well.

(3) My depression would also lift, at least temporarily, if I took a very cold shower (almost painfully cold).  I think this is due to it forces you to live in the moment.  This is also true if I can exercise hard like a fast run.

(4) My worse time with depression was during a long term and slow struggle (great fear and sadness) concerning a loved one.  For that, I needed to take Celexa.  Once the struggle ended, I was able to stop Celexa (it gave a few weeks of withdrawal issues but nothing like benzos).

I just wanted to share some tools for what they are worth.

I wish you all the best.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and tips for sufferers. Even though I do not have depression I did read a book written by William Styron Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness, excellent book to get a glimpse of the darkness of depression. I recommend it to everyone I know to read it so they can understand Clinical depression better. I will save your list for difficult times.  :smitten:

Thank you so much for sharing, Bob7

My functional med doc suggested I take P5P, but haven’t tried yet.  I will ask about the combo you listed on my next consult.  Great that you benefit from these supplements.  Perhaps I will give it a try.  Valium is awful in the depression department! 

Great to see you are a moderator!  I remember when we were both tapering K and on the Klonopin Klub thread.  Hope all is going very well with you.  Lots of love and best wishes.

Uni

My functional med doc suggested I take P5P, but haven’t tried yet.  I will ask about the combo you listed on my next consult.  Great that you benefit from these supplements.  Perhaps I will give it a try.  Valium is awful in the depression department! 

Great to see you are a moderator!  I remember when we were both tapering K and on the Klonopin Klub thread.  Hope all is going very well with you.  Lots of love and best wishes.

Uni

Hi Uni,

I remember you too.

We have both progressed - I see in your signature you have worked your way down to 7.

You are showing such commitment - you have good reason to have faith in yourself - you will make it.

Uni

Hi Uni,

I remember you too.

We have both progressed - I see in your signature you have worked your way down to 7.

You are showing such commitment - you have good reason to have faith in yourself - you will make it.

Thank you, Bob 🙏🏻  So much!