Tapering and seizures?

[sa...]

Been on 2 mgs daily for about a year. Was on 1 mg before that for about a year before being bumped up. Have to start a taper tomorrow from 2 to 1.5 mgs daily. Is it possible to have a seizure while tapering?

In my time here I've never heard of anyone having a seizure while tapering.  Some members have mentioned having them in the past when they've quit the drug cold turkey.  If you're worried, can you make your cut .25 instead of .50, that sounds like a pretty big drop in dose.

Unfortunately I don't think so. My doctor seems pretty adament about me going down by 0.5 a mg. I'm supposed to talk to her tomorrow so we will see what happens.

If she's determined then I suggest you keep a log of your symptoms if you have them, hopefully if you don't feel well she'll agree to slow it down.  Fear is a big part of this process so it's totally understandable you have it concerning seizures, but I think you'll be fine, and your Dr must feel that way as well.

Could you add your medication history so we can know where you're at in your journey, it helps us help you when we can see it at a glance.  Here are the instructions, if you have trouble, let us know and we'll help you.  Add your history/signature 

Can you add your medication history, at least what type of benzo you're on?  This would help us know if you're on a short or long acting drug which would tell us if you could reasonably expect to be feeling symptoms at this point.

How long are you able to hold that cut? Being a long-acting benzodiazepine, I’d ask the doc to let you go at least two weeks before cutting again. The next cut would be better to be smaller...no more than .25mg, half that would be best.

My doctor is being super helpful and told me I could hold that cut as long as I needed. She was adament that I get off of them and start cutting back but she's been super helpful so far.

Many doctors mean well but they can be ignorant, misinformed that is how we got here in the first place. I do not see any reason at all to refuse cutting by 10 percent which is about one forth (o.25 mg) of a 1 clonazepam mg pill. Your pace of withdrawal should be determined by you first of all. Most studies are not against bigger cuts at the beginning of the taper, but ultimately you are the one going through this and your symptoms could guide the process. However, even on this discussion board you will meet people who had no symptoms throughout their relatively short taper (six weeks for instance) and only after their last dose started to experience withdrawal symptoms. It is also true that researchers do not recommend to over extend tapering, usually they draw the line around 6 months but again that is general recommendation. I experienced violent tolerance withdrawal symptoms while taking my regular 2 mg clonazepam dosage as prescribed by my doctor. I decided to run away from this pill as fast as I can because my symptoms were so dramatic and there was no reason to slow taper to avoid the pain. But you might be able to do this comfortably without experiencing serious difficulties by being smart and patient about your tapering schedule. Once people develop serious symptoms it is very hard to stay on target, some return back to their higher dose as they get discouraged.

Thank you all for replying. Over 24 hours in and and all I've noticed is some increase in anxiety and panic every now and then. Some weird body sensations that each lasted briefly and this morning when I woke up my right arm was twitching some. Maybe a coincidence though. As soon as I would move my arm it would stop. Did it a few times and then stopped and hasn't done it again since. Also I will take all of everyone's advice and next time we want to cut down if she wants to go from 1 1/2 to 1 next I will ask of we can take it a little slower. Maybe 0.5 mg in the morning. 0.25 mgs in the afternoon and 0.5 mgs at night?

I'm glad things settled down for you a bit, as you mentioned on your other thread.  What you're feeling is entirely normal, in fact we have a thread in support groups for people who have the boaty legs, you can check it out if you'd like.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=128947.0

I didn't taper but I hear that you feel bad after the cut, then you begin to feel a little better and then you can decide if you're ready to cut again.  Be warned that you'll probably never feel great, this isn't what stable means, it just means you feel you can reduce again.  But remember, this isn't a race, slow and steady is best.

Hopefully at some point and eventually when I'm off this I will feel great! Haha. Anyway yeah most of the symptoms went away within an hour or so and I slept like a baby last night. I finally ate last night but I've been up for about 2 1/2 hours this morning and the nausea won't go away. I'm guessing that's probably a pretty common symptom too? Sorry for all the questions. I've decided to stop Googling things since I started the taper. Before I was always turning to Google for answers and often times it just made my problems worse. Stay off Google everyone! Haha.

Morning Sand,it would be great if she would let you cut that next cut in half.  K is very strong and those are big cuts.  Can you print the Ashton Manual with you, an expert in the field, you can print it off google.  She recommends 5 to 10% every 2 weeks or longer and your cuts are way larger.  It is so much easier to do a smaller % and hold your cuts longer, than it is to run into a brick wall, which many of us have done.  It you go too fast and cut too much, there is a good chance you will hit that wall and feeling stable again can take a long time.  This is just my opinion, but if you read around bb, you will see it has happened to many.  The good thing is, if cutting low and taking your time makes you feel really good,you can always speed up and keep an eye on your symptoms.  It's much better than hitting that wall which can totally sneak up on you.  Good luck!!  Mary

It's good to hear the nausea left long enough to get a bit of food in, and glad you're going to stay off Google.  Coming here can be a double edged sword too, it's good to get suggestions and moral support, but some of the stories here can be scary so you just have to remember to take what you need and leave the rest.  I spent a lot of time reading the success stories, so when you need a boost, head over there so you don't lose hope.

I'm glad Mary popped in with her suggestion to go slow, the good folks who have gone before you have learned a thing or two and want to help others be successful.  :smitten:

Thank you all. Today is day 4. I've been up since 4 a.m. but other than that and what feels like a stiff right side of my neck or like I pinched or pulled something back there out or nowhere is causing me to freak out and worry some but could be anything. I've been laying in bed all day but mainly just to relax and watch movies. The nausea comes and goes but nothing to bad. Tomorrow will be day 5!

Sandstorm, benzo's love muscles, That or laying in the bed may be the issue with your neck.  Very common.  Glad you had a better day and hope tomorrow is even better.  ;). Mary 💜

Thank you Mary and Sherpa! So today is day 7. Saw my doctor today and we agreed to hold at 1 1/2. She said I could just stop taking the Mirtazapine if I wanted or said I could keep cutting it if it would help my anxiety to cut instead of stopping completely. She left it up to me but she talked about a few other medications we could try. One being Zoloft. Thoughts on Zoloft? But she's not pushing any medications and isn't a big pill pusher overall. She's leaving it up to me on wether I want to take anything else for the time being. Would it be better to just try to get off the Mirtazapine and Clomazepam and then star with a clean slate? Or at least get off the Mirtazapine before adding in anything else?

Sand, I will have to let the Zoloft be answered by someone else,but its great hearing the Dr is working with yoiu.  That is such an important thing when trying to withdraw.  Lots of people will be able to help with the Zoloft.  Mary 💜🙏☮️ :D