Gabapentin for withdrawals?? Anybody have answers?

[Le...]

Does anybody know if Gabapentin help for ativan n klonopin withdrawal? I know is also addictive but right now this is too much for me. I read a few articles on how it helped patients with fast tapering from benzos and all the depression they were suffering from diminished. I get severe tremors all day long unless i take my lorazepam. I wake up crying in tremors every time. I just wanted to stop. Someone please help me.

Hi, I'm currently taking 100 mgs of gabapentin to help get through my taper. I have found it very helpful. It's still a hard road but it's bearable. I take the gabapentin at bedtime.

What does it exactly do for your withdrawal? Have you felt a lot more normal since taking? I would like to talk to my doctor about this but i just need a little more input if you don't mind? Thank you.

Hi Letty73,

I know you're suffering but please do your homework when considering taking another drug, some people are having a terrible time tapering from the Gabapentin they reached for while going through this.  Here is a link to a thread for folks who are tapering Gabapentin, you might want to ask your question there.  Just jump into the thread and ask, you don't need to start a new topic.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84267.0

Tapering hurts and once you're off of the drug, you will still hurt until your brain has recovered it's normal function, I just want you to have a realistic expectation of this process. 

Pamster

[27...]

I took 300mg at bedtime to help with sleep.  It seemed to help.

Tremors are a nuisance, but they will resolve in time once you finish your taper.  They feel much worse than they look.  I had dental work (drilling for a crown) about a week after my c/t and worried that my tremor would affect the work.  The dentist didn't even notice it even though I was very aware of it.  Withdrawal makes us kind of hyper-aware of things such as tremor.

I have to admit that threading a needle was more difficult with the tremor.

Thank you everyone. I didn't know. I just don't know what else to do n i know I'm not alone. I just need some life back in me instead of all these horrible symptoms. How long do these tremors last? Its been months n tremors are there everyday n night. I can't barely stand or manage to hold anything in my hands anymore..

[27...]

Thank you everyone. I didn't know. I just don't know what else to do n i know I'm not alone. I just need some life back in me instead of all these horrible symptoms. How long do these tremors last? Its been months n tremors are there everyday n night. I can't barely stand or manage to hold anything in my hands anymore..

While you might be looking for the drug to give you some relief, please remember that using the drug is what has caused these symptoms.

The tremor might last until you have finished your taper and have healed for awhile.  It's impossible to know with any certainty.  If it's any consolation, I had a period when I dropped a lot of things.  At the time, I was a research biochemist working in a lab.  That was most definitely not a good trait.  I had to be super careful.  But it eventually (and completely) resolved.

I can't really say if the gabapentin is a good idea. My doctor advised it but he's also the one who kept me on benzos for years. I also have tremors and they are worse in the morning. I've only been on the gabapentin for three months.