Any folk tapered off Effexor?

[te...]

Hi there

Just wondered if anyone here has come off Effexor before.

The usual gig seems to be to switch to fluoxetine then taper off that.

I'm on 75mg of Effexor down from 187.5mg

The next step would be to reduce to 37.5mg but since it will be below the minimum therapeutic dose, I'm a bit hesitant.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks 4mom

Unfortunately that site closed in 2018

No it did not.  It’s up and running. 

It’s very active and the responses are fast. 

SG

💜

Terua, are you on XR or IR? And if XR do you have beads or tablets in your capsules?

Hi foxy (Japanese kitsune)

I'm on XR

I never actually opened a capsule

I guess you're suggesting diluting in water according to whether beads or tablets? I suspect it's beads I'll take a look tonight

thanks for reply

I had to get off of it about 15 years ago.  They tried to taper me down but I couldn't.  I think I went from my normal 75mg to 37.5mg for 2 weeks.  When I jumped it was the most excruciating 2 weeks of my life when I was locked to the couch in physical and mental anguish.  They had to reinstate me and then cross me over to another medication but I forgot which one.  Some SSRI I believe.  I was able to taper back down and then off of that and everything was fine.  I still get "brain zaps" every now and then 15 years later but they are rare and not too bad.

I had a friend taper off of Effexor no problem though so hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones!

Terua, nice to meet someone who knows what my username means.  ;D With the XR (extended release) you can’t put them in liquid and let them dissolve because it will get rid of the coating that makes them extended release. Hopefully you have beads in your capsules, this will make tapering easier. Some people count beads and reduce by so many beads every month (same deal as with benzos 5-10%). Others use a scale and calculate their reductions that way. Counting beads is less accurate in part because there are a different amount of beads in each capsule. Also the weight of each capsule varies a lot more than benzo tablets, so it’s really important to take an average of like 10 capsules and use that as your weight to reduce from.

Eric

Thanks for the encouragement

Foxy

Thanks for the advice. Yep they are beads. Haven't counted yet. Presumably you throw away the capsule?

Teru

Terua, nope. Just use the capsules and take out the beads. You can save the extra beads for later if needed (some people do this because their pharmacy changes brands on them).

Hi foxy

I just realized my Effexor is SR. I have no idea when pharmacy changed me from XR but no problem.

To answer my own question, was surprised how easily the capsule came apart. So my next step will be to divide a 37.5 mg capsule in half and go from 75 to 56 sorry can't do the math.

If never have dreamt of opening up a capsule if you hadn't mentioned it.

If you got a J restaurant nearby I guess you know of kitsune udon, the thick rice noodles in soup with a slab of tofu

Teru

Terua, if you only take your Effexor once daily it’s extended release, whether it says XR or SR.

I haven’t had kitsune udon, but it sounds yummy! We don’t have any good Japanese restaurants where I live, but I’m close enough to some bigger cities that might. I will have to look. I actually learned the word from an anime I watched many years ago and because I have a Shiba Inu (and a Hokkaido Ken too).

Hi foxy

Belated thanks for your reply

I took SR toean Standard Release but no such thing. If I can tell the difference between extended and sustained then I'm a tanuki ( a funny looking Japanese animal, like a raccoon but with the face of an owl).

Funny how you got such close links with Japan without presumably ever having gone there. Those shiba and akita doggies are lovely.

Kitsune udon (there is tanuki udon too) is a light snack but in our countries would cost a fortune. You pay as little as $3 for a bowl over there. UK is a ridiculously expensive place so I'm guessing about 10 squid if you could get it.

Teru

Terua, I am familiar with Tanuki too. I’ve read a couple books on Yokai and Japanese folklore. I love Japanese culture, I have since I was a teenager. I studied the language a bit in college too, but decided on a more practical degree. Someday I would love to go there. I have a good friend who was born in Osaka (US citizen now) and another who lives in Kyoto. I live near the California Bay Area so there are probably some good restaurants there, but it will certainly be more than $3 a bowl! Now I’m hungry!  :laugh: :laugh:

Hi foxy

If you knew my current situation you'd be shocked. I literally dream about food like that.

I just wanted to say I'm gonna hang on 75mg Effexor SR until the time is right, and get off the benzos completely first. There's me advising another guy not to do both at the same time and here I am doing it. In any case, what's the hurry. I'm not competing against anybody as far as I know.

Yep I went to SF some years back, Fisherman Wharf was touristy but good, Chinatown standard fayre. Mission area was a bit dodgy and I ended up in Tenderloin coz hotels were cheap, that was kinda interesting too. And all those new age grandchildren of real hippies hanging on Haight Street. Even had guys trying to scrounge while I jogged past. Never made it across the bridge and back.

Nice memories, bad jetlag.

Teru