Buspar

[Wh...]

what do you think about using Buspar to help you get through tapering. I use it on occasion and it helps some but my anxiety is mild at this point. getting ready to start tapering and thought it might help but don't want to get addicted to something else!

Thanks

Hi Whitewillow,

Here are some thoughts about taking Buspar to help you get through tapering -

Since you say your anxiety is mild at this point you may not need another medication. You might be fine using ways to reduce your anxiety without taking pills - such as exercise, healthy eating, meditation, yoga, chamomile tea, for example, whatever works best for you.

Most psych meds seem to be challenging to come off of to some degree, so if you don't have a strong need for it why put yourself through another potentially hard withdrawal? 

You mention you use Buspar on occasion - Buspar is typically prescribed to be taken daily  - you may want to check with your doctor about whether it's helpful to take only occasionally.

Brighterday

• 2 weeks later...
Took buspar within the last six months and it wasn’t a pleasant experience. Took it daily and the dizziness and tinnitus was terrible. Still dealing with it some days. Your results may vary but if you can avoid it I would

I took Buspar for 8 months during taper. I took 7.5mg twice daily. Half life is low and it has low addiction profile. I stopped cold turkey with ZERO issues. I had an awful time getting off Benzos and no problem getting off Buspar.

I was taking Buspar and I knew it was doing absolutely nothing for my anxiety. I started meditating and taking natural supplements and then quit the Buspar cold turkey with no issues. Even Ashton said it was pretty much useless for benzo withdrawal.