Is it dangerous to take ativan and valium on the same day?

[Ni...]

Hey all, my current taper looks like this now:

1 mg Ativan 9 am

1 mg Ativan 5 pm

5 mg valium 9 pm

I came from 3 mg of Ativan.

Is it dangerous to mix these 2 benzos?

Thank you

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ni...]

• [Pa...]

• [Ca...]

Absolutely not, you're doing just as the Ashton manual states, many cross from their benzo to Valium and its best to add it in slowly while discontinuing the Ativan.  Your taper looks great so far since it looks like you've reduced the Ativan by .5 mgs, is this correct?  How are you feeling?

I didn't taper that 1 mg of Ativan to 5 mg of valium, I was prescribed it directly going from 1 mg of Ativan to 5 mg of valium which is too low. But this is the only way I can go with my psychiatrist in order to make the taper work. At 4 pm I was feeling very unresty.. Before that during the midday and morning I was feeling slightly unresty. Only after my 5 pm Ativan dosage did the unresty feeling go away.

Yes I indeed directly lowered 1 mg of Ativan to 0.5mg with the 5 mg of valium.

I'm sorry to hear you're uncomfortable, Valium takes a bit longer to build up in your body, so I'm sure you're feeling the loss of the Ativan.  Some Dr's will actually front load the Valium, meaning they'll prescribe a bit more at first to give your body the time it needs to get it on board.  I guess you're kind of stuck with this but you should acclimate soon, I hope.

It sounds like you're doing a bit better, but you need to understand that no taper is pain free, they all hurt just to varying degree's and the pain will continue after the drug is gone.  Your brain is healing as you taper and will continue after you're done, so I hope you have a realistic expectation of this process. 

I need just a little help from you so I can understand your schedule, okay?

Was this your dose on February 22nd?

1 mg Ativan 9 am

1 mg Ativan 5 pm

5 mg valium 9 pm

And now you're planning to drop it to this March 5th?

1 mg Ativan 9 am

5 mg valium 5 pm

You mentioned in a previous post you had taken 9 mg Valium, are you still taking that and if so, for how many days?  Sorry, I just want to get this right.

Tommorow I will be taking 9 mg of valium for a week, I took it since last sunday. I will then lower it to 7 mg of valium. I took it instead of the 5 mg of valium I was prescribed, I added 4 mg of valium on top of it.

Yes it's correct that I will drop to that dosage. I might add in extra valium again though.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.  So your schedule starting March 5 will be:

1 mg Ativan

9 mg Valium

This feels like a big drop in the Ativan, can you go any smaller, say cut it into quarters?

And your next reduction will be to the Valium, not the Ativan?  I guess I'm not clear about what your intention is, do you plan to completely crossover from the Ativan to the Valium? 

I'm concerned you're not taking the prescribed amount of Valium, are you going to speak with your Dr about this so you don't run short?

Maybe it would help if you created a signature so we can see what medications you're on and what your intentions are, here are the instructions. Add your history/signature 

I've been put on 1 mg Ativan and 5 mg of valium with 5 mg of valium extra as needed.

So I can take the as needed and it will be:

1 mg Ativan

10 mg valium

I came from

1 mg Ativan

1 mg Ativan

5 mg valium

I will make my signature soon.

Taking Valium as needed is not the way to go, a consistent downward trend is the best way to do this.  If you feel the need for extra, than perhaps you should make your cut smaller. 

This is from the Ashton Manual.

Dosage tapering. There is absolutely no doubt that anyone withdrawing from long-term benzodiazepines must reduce the dosage slowly. Abrupt or over-rapid withdrawal, especially from high dosage, can give rise to severe symptoms (convulsions, psychotic reactions, acute anxiety states) and may increase the risk of protracted withdrawal symptoms (see Chapter III). Slow withdrawal means tapering dosage gradually, usually over a period of some months. The aim is to obtain a smooth, steady and slow decline in blood and tissue concentrations of benzodiazepines so that the natural systems in the brain can recover their normal state. As explained in Chapter I, long-term benzodiazepines take over many of the functions of the body's natural tranquilliser system, mediated by the neurotransmitter GABA. As a result, GABA receptors in the brain reduce in numbers and GABA function decreases. Sudden withdrawal from benzodiazepines leaves the brain in a state of GABA-underactivity, resulting in hyperexcitability of the nervous system. This hyperexcitability is the root cause of most of the withdrawal symptoms discussed in the next chapter. However, a sufficiently slow, and smooth, departure of benzodiazepines from the body permits the natural systems to regain control of the functions which have been damped down by their presence. There is scientific evidence that reinstatement of brain function takes a long time. Recovery after long-term benzodiazepine use is not unlike the gradual recuperation of the body after a major surgical operation. Healing, of body or mind, is a slow process.

Thank you for this information!

I'm currently on

1 milligram of Ativan in the morning

5 milligrams of valium in the midday

Yesterday I took magnesium and had anxiety as a result.

This morning I had uncontrollable racing thoughts with a little bit of sweat and cold forehead. Cigarette smoking helped this go away.

I usually had this when I was on the Ativan at night minus the sweat and cold forehead, but not with Valium at night. So this might have been a fluke due to the magnesium. I will report how things go this night and tommorow morning.

To be honest, I'd avoid supplements at this time, many members have reported unpleasant reactions to magnesium and other substances.  Our central nervous system is so sensitive while going through this, you can set yourself back by experimenting and of course, avoid alcohol.  Take a look at our Alternative Therapies & Supplements board for information about successes and fails.

Could it be that the magnesium detoxified the build up of valium I had made when I was on 9 mg of valium? And that's why I'm feeling a bit anxious now?

Thanks for adding your signature!  I don't have any knowledge of how magnesium interacts with benzo's, you could start a thread on the alternative therapies board, see what others have so say.

I think the magnesium competes with the Valium for the gaba receptors or something which is why I had a bad reaction. I'm not taking it anymore!

I'm cutting my Ativan to 0.5 mg this Friday and next week I plan on cutting it out completely leaving me with 5 mg of valium in the morning.

I'm currently stable on the current dosage, only in the morning I get uncontrollable thoughts which I usually had with the Ativan as well so nothing new.

You sound determined and if you're feeling stable then I guess that's the signal to keep going.  Mornings are rough for a lot of people, but you're taking it in stride, good for you. 

Let us know what happens next.  :thumbsup:

I went outside yesterday night for a cigarette and I was dizzy when I suddenly had a black out for 1 second and fell to the floor. Does this have to do with my taper?

It hasn't happened to me before in my life, I was feeling dizzy and suddenly boom I saw black for 1 second and I fell to the floor. I didn't eat much yesterday so that could be the culprit. Had some potato chips and a mars candy bar if I recall correctly. Had no morning meal and no midday meal. Only had a msg filled evening meal. I also had taken calcium d glucarate..

Please eat!  I know it can be difficult, it was for me when I was where you are because of nausea, but I forced food into my mouth and down my throat to keep myself going. 

I've been feeling lightheaded this morning, woke up early at 6 am had weird thoughts again that I couldn't control so I had to smoke.. Still feeling lightheaded now, is this because of the withdrawal?

I've been on 1 mg of Ativan in the morning and 5 mg of valium in the midday for 1 week now. Would it be too fast to cut my Ativan to 0.5mg tommorow? I am currently stable on the current dosage, only mild to low tension at some moments during the day.

It sounds like the normal symptoms are fading and if you feel its time, then I guess it is.  I'd like to see you cut your Ativan to .75 but it's totally your call.  I see you started a thread about your lightheartedness and got some reassurance, I'm glad you did that.  I was going to suggest you use the search function, but what you did was great.