Gabapentin warning.

[Iw...]

I have been using gabapentin to help taper from Xanax to valium. I have been taking 2400 mg tablets and biting down on the tablets. It really helped me. However I am now finding that the stuff is super addictive. I even read that the withdrawals are very simular to benzos. Now I am finding myself tapering off the gabapentin before I taper the Valium.

Yes, Gabapentin, in my experience, has been worse to taper than the Xanax was.... I'm getting ready to taper my last 600mg after my Xanax taper ended in Jan

• 3 months later...
HealingwLove - How are you doing with your gabapentin taper?  I am almost done with Valium taper and then have to taper 1400 mg. of gabapentin.

[26...]

I have been using gabapentin to help taper from Xanax to valium. I have been taking 2400 mg tablets and biting down on the tablets. It really helped me. However I am now finding that the stuff is super addictive. I even read that the withdrawals are very simular to benzos. Now I am finding myself tapering off the gabapentin before I taper the Valium.

I am having the same problem with Remeron. Is see you had some experience with that. How did you taper it?  Thanks!  Hope the gabapentin w/d is going smoothly.

3yrs 8 months out from final benzo and am trying to get rid of the final 120mg of neurontin.  For me neurontin seems to be harder to wean off from than the benzos.  Even taking 1mg cuts is provoking lousy sleep......this journey is going to be longer than hoped. Other than the sleep issue though, there aren't the muscle twitching, palpitation, DP or DR issues of benzo withdrawal.  Good luck to all and just keep your focus on the big picture. 

I have been using gabapentin to help taper from Xanax to valium. I have been taking 2400 mg tablets and biting down on the tablets. It really helped me. However I am now finding that the stuff is super addictive. I even read that the withdrawals are very similar to benzos. Now I am finding myself tapering off the gabapentin before I taper the Valium.

Congratulation on all the time you have put into your taper I have seen people struggle to some degree in getting off Gabapentin, but I have seem more people struggle a lot more with Xanax I would lean on the Gabapentin and get off of Xanax but it is always a role of the dice but I believe the odds are better. This is contrary to general advice here to almost never add any drugs, but as I am sure you know you are kind of high long term use and a little more likely to struggle. Of course listen to your body and judge where you think you are If you can lower the Gabapentin, and still feel OK while tapering Xanax all the better Xanax is generally the 300 lb gorilla in the room imo

Hi All,

Decided to stop in here because my brother is on gabapentin for pain due to spinal osteoarthritis.  His only other option was spine surgery.  Not sure what his dosage is, but I expect he will be on it for a long time. 

A few questions.  Does it produce tolerance?  Are there tolerance WD symptoms (other than no longer working for the reason you're taking it)?  When you attempt to taper, what are the WD symptoms?  Anything else you think I should know about it?

Thanks in advance!