SLEEP TEST - EXTRAORDINARY RESULT

[An...]

Finally I was accepted for a SLEEPING test in hospital : all sleep is recorded for one night.

They discovered I have sleep apnea : I stop breathing until 77 times per hour.

Every time I awake to take breath again, so every time I'm out of my going to deep sleep (stage 3) that is recuperative...

So I will have to sleep with a CPAP : it blows air in the nose all night, so I can't stop breathing.

Apnea provokes... shortage of oxygen in the blood : the brain, the heart, the organs, the muscles, they can't relax and restore with enough

oxygen and enough deep sleep.  That's why I awake broken and feel broken all day !!!!  Leading to... depression.

I did some research about depression and apnea.  In thousands of cases, the depression is a consequence of not sleeping, of having no oxygen enough, due to apnea !

So if no other cause for depression is really found, it's worth having tested your sleep for apnea !

how old are you? I'm 33 and struggling with getting restful sleep. My dad happens to have apnea.

I've been thinking of getting a sleep study done but I don't know if I have to have a doctor refer me. As of now, I don't have a regular doctor.

That's great that you found a reason for your poor sleep and are getting treatment to correct that condition.  I had 2 sleep studies done.  One during Benzo WD and one after I healed.  I don't have apnea but I was looking for something other than the Benzos for the cause of my insomnia.  I think most people are looking for another reason for their poor sleep; something other than Benzos?  If they find it's something else, it gives them hope that there is some other type of treatment and in the case of apnea, it's some type of CPAP device.

However, if you never had sleep issues prior to Benzos, you most likely do not have apnea.  I had a friend that would get a solid 8 hours per night but was always tired.  He did a sleep study and learned he has apnea and stopped breathing about 80 times per hour on average.  He got a CPAP device and now feels a lot more refreshed when he wakes up.  He doesn't sleep any better because he was always a good sleeper but the quality of his sleep is a lot better.

The previous comment of theway2 is offensing and weird.  Yes, I DO have apnea, there is no reason to doubt about what has been discovered and registered in a report.  Yes, apnea causes insomnia, as every time I stop breathing, my brain gets me out of deeper sleep, to get me breathing again.

Yes, apnea has exhausted my body, and this exhaustion caused depression.  Any treatment by benzos was wrong : the benzos even prevented more going to deep sleep (stage 3). 

I'm shocked by the wrong preposterous conclusions of theway2

Anton

Anton,

Not sure what you mean offensive and weird?  Maybe you are confusing sleep apenea with Benzo-induced insomnia?  I never said you didn't have sleep apnea.  Benzo-induced insomnia is NOT caused by apnea.  You are one of the rare people that seems to have both sleep apnea and perhaps Benzo-induced insomnia?

I am not suggesting nor recommending Benzos....they are merely a band aid, that mask symptoms.  Yes, your PCP giving you Benzos for sleep apnea was wrong.  My entire point of the previous post was to not confuse insomnia caused by a Benzo and insomnia caused by some preexisting condition, such as sleep apnea.

Anton, what type of apnea were you diagnosed with?  Obstructive or Central.  Central is the type which is caused by the brainstem in the brain not letting you breath and the obstructive is physical.

second night with the CPAP I slept deeply for 8 hours, I woke up without muscle pain and a clear head.

Could work very well at office, the second day in a row.    No pills anymore for me. 

For the ignorant : The CPAP is a simple machine, blowing air in the nose, so I don't stop breathing anymore in my sleep.  So my sleep is not interrupted anymore by waking up for air. 

I highly recommend everybody with sleeping problems to take a test in the sleep clinic.  It did not only revealed by apnea-problem, but now I know in detail the structure of my sleep, on my back, on my left and right side : all details are helping me what I should do to sleep better.  It showed also the benzos etc. kept me out of deep sleep.  I will never take them again.