It’s time! Clonazapam taper!

[Sh...]

Hi, My story is long but I’ll try to make it short! I was first prescribed Clonazapam .5mg - 7 years ago (along with lexapro and Remeron) after my first panic attack. I used it for sleep for a few months and then weaned off rather fast with minor issues. I was off for about 2 years and was also in the process of weaning the antidepressants when we had a family tragedy. My 5 year old daughter suddenly passed away. I put my wean on hold and started using the Clonazapam again once in a while only .25mg.. I developed PTSD and complicated grief from her passing.

Fast forward 2 years later now age 41 and I developed severe PPD after a 5 week miscarriage. I could not sleep again so started Clonazapam .5 mg for sleep again and also .25 in the am as I was waking up in a panic and high heart rate.

I also started reacting paradoxically to the Lexapro so they switched me to Prozac 10mg.

As of now I’ve managed to drop the .25mg Clonazapam I was taking in the morning. I weaned it by actually forgetting to take it as my body calmed down. So I’ve been on .5mg Clonazapam at night along with 7.5mg Remeron and 10mg Prozac in the am.

I’m ready to start weaning the benzo for good! It makes me so tired all the time and I’m just done being dependent on it!

Just to add.. my husband and I are looking into possibly adopting a child. I know there is no way to know how withdrawing will affect any one person but I’m looking for the best way to go about this and still function as best as possible ♥️

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you!!!

Hello Shredthegnar, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm so very sorry to hear about the death of your daughter, I can't imagine anything worse, I'm sure the combination of that and your miscarriage must torment you. 

Can you tell us a little bit more of your reduction of the .25 mg of Clonazepam, was it difficult, did you experience symptoms, or was it fairly easy?  I'm just wondering, given that your current dose makes you tired, if you don't have to worry about intense or prolonged withdrawal symptoms.

If you'd like, you can check out our  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) board to see the methods we support but we typically suggest cutting your dose by about 5-10% every week or two to minimize symptoms.

If you'd like to speak to others about your symptoms, feel free to start a thread on the Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board.

We're happy you've found us, let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Hi Pamster! Thank you for replying! ♥️ Life has been hard to put it mildly but I do the best I can. I’ve done lots of different healing modalities, retreats and trying to stay as healthy as I can to stay above water.

As far as the .25 drop it happened over few weeks. I just started forgetting as I would wake up ok and just get up and go to work then before I knew it I didn’t need it! That was about 6 months ago. The only thing I remember was left my eye was a bit twitchy for like a week and then I actually felt better during the day without it.

Thank you again!

I'm glad you've found positive ways to keep going in life, I see strength in you. 

I have a good feeling about your ability to get off the rest of the Clonazepam, you don't seem to be like most of our members, it seems you won't suffer from benzidiazepine withdrawal syndrome.  I would taper the rest of your dose fairly rapidly, at least by our standards, because it feels to me as if you're one of the lucky ones who won't be affected.

Ok wow thank you!! This give me more confidence I was so scared of the stories I have been reading! I do take it for sleep though so just hoping the Remeron helps with insomnia! I’ll keep you posted!!

Thanks again!!!