Opinions on anticonvulsants?

[fa...]

[fa...]

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has experience using anticonvulsants for post acute withdrawal. I'm seeing a neurologist next month about the relentless nerve pain caused by my benzo withdrawal and there is a big possibility he will prescribe an anticonvulsant drug. What are your guys experiences with drugs like gabapentin, pregabalin, lamictotrigine etc.

Should I avoid them, any words of warning, any tips? Any input would be greatly appreciated

There is a support thread for those tapering from Gabapentin, you might want to stop in there: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84267.0

I would imagine you may find some information in the poly-drugged thread: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=132299.0

Personally, I've read more negative posts about other medications than positive ones, just do your research as you are now.  :thumbsup:

Hey Luke, I had to make a decision on month 5 after CT rapid withdrawal, about nerve pain medicine. My choices were gabapentin, amitriptyline, or Lyrica.

I was a very healthy athlete prior to 6 months of benzos and then rapid w/d. My nerve pain and weakness was off the charts debilitating. Neurologists were flipping out at how bad it was.

I couldn't walk or even feed myself. Sooooo stupid. The pain and neuropathy was unlike anything I had read on here, except for a very few.

I ended up choosing amitriptyline, mostly because I didn't want an anticonvulsant to slow my cognition, or work on gaba receptors. I didn't want Lyrica for other reasons like it's a mood stabilizer. Now to be fair, amitriptyline comes with its own risks, but for me it was the least. I don't have cardiac or blood pressure issues, so it doesn't seem to bother me. It will have to be tapered just like the others when I go off, but it doesn't act on gaba, and mine is already the lowest dose you can do at 10mg. Most people use amitriptyline at 20-50mgs for neuropathy (and it is an antidepressant, but doesn't work as one at these levels).

It has basically taken me from non functional to functional again. I still have nerve issues, numbness, and pins and needles, but it is about 80% gone (or masked). It's really the only symptom I have left besides a bit of tinnitus, and occasional bad sleep.

I'm not saying you should choose the same as me! I hate having to take something for pain another pill caused in the first place. But I guess I'm just saying to research your options. Talk with your neurologist. What are the risks for each med? What is your health status? How would it effect you? Or can you make it without taking anything, since it is not supposed to be permanent?

Best of luck to you!

From fellow Benzo nerve pain sufferer!

I am taking 3 x 600mg gabapentin and lamictal. I have the tablet forms and I bite down on them .Gabapentin helps to boost my Valium dose. It is not a big deal. It sounds like a big thing " anticonvulsant" But they are

very friendly meds. They are easily tolerated. But there is one thing you have to watch for. I read this after I started taking them. Gabapentin is addictive. I read that getting off is similar to getting off benzos.

So I am tapering off Gabapentin and I am addicted. It's going to take a lot of work to taper off of gabapentin. But I am doing it. And when I am off of gabapentin I am going to start tapering again on my Valium.

.The lamictal is not a big deal. By itself it is not so effective and easy to stop. But it works very well with gabapentin.

Irwin

Hey Luke, I had to make a decision on month 5 after CT rapid withdrawal, about nerve pain medicine. My choices were gabapentin, amitriptyline, or Lyrica.

I was a very healthy athlete prior to 6 months of benzos and then rapid w/d. My nerve pain and weakness was off the charts debilitating. Neurologists were flipping out at how bad it was.

I couldn't walk or even feed myself. Sooooo stupid. The pain and neuropathy was unlike anything I had read on here, except for a very few.

I ended up choosing amitriptyline, mostly because I didn't want an anticonvulsant to slow my cognition, or work on gaba receptors. I didn't want Lyrica for other reasons like it's a mood stabilizer. Now to be fair, amitriptyline comes with its own risks, but for me it was the least. I don't have cardiac or blood pressure issues, so it doesn't seem to bother me. It will have to be tapered just like the others when I go off, but it doesn't act on gaba, and mine is already the lowest dose you can do at 10mg. Most people use amitriptyline at 20-50mgs for neuropathy (and it is an antidepressant, but doesn't work as one at these levels).

It has basically taken me from non functional to functional again. I still have nerve issues, numbness, and pins and needles, but it is about 80% gone (or masked). It's really the only symptom I have left besides a bit of tinnitus, and occasional bad sleep.

I'm not saying you should choose the same as me! I hate having to take something for pain another pill caused in the first place. But I guess I'm just saying to research your options. Talk with your neurologist. What are the risks for each med? What is your health status? How would it effect you? Or can you make it without taking anything, since it is not supposed to be permanent?

Best of luck to you!

From fellow Benzo nerve pain sufferer!

I'm really interested in amitriptyline helping your benzo pain. I've been prescribed it and was going to start on 5mg by cutting a 10mg in half.

I've got no worries about starting at 10 mg though, how long did it take to help the pain?

Thank you

There is a support thread for those tapering from Gabapentin, you might want to stop in there: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84267.0

I would imagine you may find some information in the poly-drugged thread: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=132299.0

Personally, I've read more negative posts about other medications than positive ones, just do your research as you are now.  :thumbsup:

What about Lyrica... is there a thread on that?  Would that be worse to be on than the klonopin which I am now off but suffering too much to keep this up-- seriously.  So need something bu tnot sure getting off clon to be on another med is way to go.  feh.

Hey nevercantell,

I was so sensitive I actually did amitriptyline in baby doses, lol

I did 2.5mg for a week, then increased each week by 2.5mg more

Till I got to 10mg. By day 4 or 5 of 10 mg. I could tell it started to affect the pain. But took around 2 months. It's been 4 months and each one has been better than the last.

Again it didn't take ALL the nerve issues away, but about 80-85%.

And I can still go up on med if I want to.