The Third 🐢 Charm.

[be...]

I Walked Off of a long time Valium taper on Nov 8, 2019, and now ready to write a celebration post. I was put on Valium 5mg twice a day for Bil Meniere's disease, and at first it did help a little, but it was a very short time, I reminded dizzy. I really did not think I would try another time to get off, after two horrific tapers to 0, my body would not accept, I was near having a stroke twice, and twice I was told that it would be better for me to stay on the Valium, as I was going to have a crippling stroke...I tried so hard to do each day each time I got to 0, but I was not able to do it, not just because of the impending threats of a stroke, but the non stop falling on the floor, not being able to hold my head up, it felt like it was wrapped around my neck and tied in the back, horrible feelings and not being one with reality and all that we all suffer and too much to post, as I am sure you have felt them too.

So I reinstated twice at different dosages and was just glad that I was not in hell anymore...but then I started thinking that what "if" they stopped ordering my Valium, I was already having problems with my ENT Doctor about the Valium, him thinking I was a druggie and selling it, I have no idea where he got this, and what made it so bad, he was the one that ordered it for me. The final blow, was when you shouted in the Office that if I lost this script there would be no more, and that I was selling it to kids and yes the desk and waiting room could hear him...I was beyond furious...but knew I had to suck up his atrocious behavior...I needed that script or so I thought. So my life changed that day...I came back home and stewed for a long while and thought I can not let him control a taper again for me, it almost took me to hell and back, so what was I to do...Well I needed to make a plan and I did.

I never took more than prescribed and I really did feel OK while on them, they just was not helping the reason I went on them...so knowing that I could not stand a third Doctor taper, I decided long and hard, that I was going to have to do this my way. I did dry cuts and had not found BB, but I already knew that going too fast was not an option or even a normal pace, I was going to have to find what was best for me...and I did thank goodness. So I was cutting 0.25mg at once and then holding for 2 months, and wow at first it was so hard, but still not as hard as when I was doing it before, but I kept at it...until I realized that I had to tweak it. So I cut my amt I tapered to a lower percentage and that seemed to work better for me, trust me I had sx, but I called them blimps because there was no comparison to the first two tapers. One day I was looking up Valium on the internet and found BB, and that was on June 1, 1915, I was so glad to find a group people that knew what I had been through. It took a while for me to settle in and find my way, but I did after a bit and started a blog and plog, and various Music Threads and My Word thread, I wanted to give back to those here suffering so much, I knew the feeling so well. I tried to fit in, but it was hard, I just did not know many, so starting My Blog was the best and my plog, because I could help others, and I have been blessed to have met so many great buddies that are now Friends, many have walked off and doing well. So for me distraction was key, "Accepting" that I would have some rough times, "Patience" and "Time" were biggies too, and just understanding that healing was a "Process" and it was going to take as long as it took to get off.

I found that if I took my time and did my long holds I was able to function fairly well and those times that I did not feel as good, I just went with them and they got better, time was my friend for sure. I also decided to not ever go back to that ENT Doctor, I was blessed with a Doctor that was OK with me tapering at my speed, in fact said it was OK to stay on too, so I was able to store many Valium pills, and not worry about being around a Doctor that was so unprofessional. Finally I started a liquid taper and it went well after a week of nausea, so I took a week off from the lig taper and then restarted and never had any problems going forward, and I also started holding just for a month, my body wanted less holding. I also started talking to My Brain...I know that sounds weird, but it seemed to work, I knew that the Brain can heal, and I knew when I had the odd wd sx's that the area in my Brain was trying to heal, we became great buddies and it took away any doubts that I could do this. We all have to find what works for us, can everyone find a Doctor like I have, no, can you hoard pills, and take all the time in the world to get off no, but for me that is how I did it. Was it hard, at times, but more blippy than bad, I knew bad, and it was nothing like before. I am so happy to be off, and I feel better, and just clearer in my thinking and such, I do have some little tiny things that crop up, but when they do I know that it is the Brain fine tuning and that it is getting me close to being 100% healed. I would not go back and do anything different this third taper, not all. I knew from the get go that I would never taper again, this was going to be my last one, and for all intents and purposes I am doing well. Thre is more to life than these blasted  >:D benzo's and I am glad that I did it my way and it has worked for me. Never once did I feel like I should rush, or anything other than my slow turtle taper. I am so Grateful for BB and all here that make it a safe place to post and support us. I do not regret a thing about my third taper and how I did it, I did not allow Valium to define me, I just did the best I could each minute of the day and accepted that It would take time.... 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [La...]

• [Bl...]

• [sa...]

[0b...]

So happy for you!  I wish I had this option but unfortunately I m stuck where I m.  You have worked so hard and did so well with what you had been given.  Congratulations!

B✌️🙏💜💪

Congratulations dear Begood 🙏🏻❤️

I’m so happy you found your way off this drug, in the way that worked for you.  It’s wonderful to see you Benzo free!  I remember when I joined and seeing your ticker go down every 40 days - 30 days holding, 10 days tapering.  BG’s method!  And a successful one!  So glad you decided to do it your way.  Big congratulations for your new benzo free life, my friend.  Here’s to the rest of your life being more beautiful than ever. 

You’re such a loving person and a wonderful presence on BB.  I am forever grateful for accepting me into your village and for encouraging me along the way to my own freedom. 

Big hugs 🤗 , Best Wishes and lots of Love,

❤️Uni

Thank you so much for your story of healing.  Your positive inspirational thread has lifted me up many times.  You have lifted my day up once again.  Thanks Begood. 

Congratulations BeGood! I have watched your progress and was silently rooting you on each step of the way. You stuck to your mission unwaveringly and now you are free from the benzo ball and chain. That dungeon is now history and its memory will fade with time, as you move on in life never needing to look back.

I’m appalled at the way your ENT doctor accused you of selling your benzos to children!! And he even made sure everyone in the office heard his uncontrolled rant. Behavior like that would scare any child from going near this person…..imagine..calling himself a doctor.

Thank goodness you kept your composure ;D, and without his help safely tapered off these dangerous drugs for good.

So happy for you!  I wish I had this option but unfortunately I m stuck where I m.  You have worked so hard and did so well with what you had been given.  Congratulations!

B✌️🙏💜💪

Thanks B, I wish everyone suffering had better options too. You may be stuck right now, but not forever. I will be here for you and one day you will write your celebration post too. I believe in you and your strength always. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Congratulations dear Begood 🙏🏻❤️

I’m so happy you found your way off this drug, in the way that worked for you.  It’s wonderful to see you Benzo free!  I remember when I joined and seeing your ticker go down every 40 days - 30 days holding, 10 days tapering.  BG’s method!  And a successful one!  So glad you decided to do it your way.  Big congratulations for your new benzo free life, my friend.  Here’s to the rest of your life being more beautiful than ever. 

You’re such a loving person and a wonderful presence on BB.  I am forever grateful for accepting me into your village and for encouraging me along the way to my own freedom. 

Big hugs 🤗 , Best Wishes and lots of Love,

❤️Uni

Thanks Uni, I learned a big lesson, that each one of us has to find their own way...we can get advice and that helps, but we ultimately have to find what the best fit for us. Oh I will never forget my quirky taper plan, but thank God it got me off at 0. Thanks  you are a very special lady, you give so much warmth and comfort to all you meet. Thanks for being Our Uni always. Stay Strong. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thank you so much for your story of healing.  Your positive inspirational thread has lifted me up many times.  You have lifted my day up once again.  Thanks Begood.

Thanks for your kind words, I am so happy that you read my Word thread. I do not post much other than on my blog, but I try to give back to BB with that thread. Stay Strong and never give up your fight for what you want, sometimes it takes longer to heal, but I believe we will in time. Our Brain is geared to rebuild and heal. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Congratulations BeGood! I have watched your progress and was silently rooting you on each step of the way. You stuck to your mission unwaveringly and now you are free from the benzo ball and chain. That dungeon is now history and its memory will fade with time, as you move on in life never needing to look back.

I’m appalled at the way your ENT doctor accused you of selling your benzos to children!! And he even made sure everyone in the office heard his uncontrolled rant. Behavior like that would scare any child from going near this person…..imagine..calling himself a doctor.

Thank goodness you kept your composure ;D, and without his help safely tapered off these dangerous drugs for good.

Thank you Blue it is so nice to hear that you have been silently walking beside me during my journey off, and yes I am overjoyed to not have to pour, rinse and repeat, you are right I do not have that heavy feeling around my ankle anymore. I am Free!!. He was a horrible person, but even though I felt I had no recourse, my mind was working overtime how to get away from him and I did. One day I calmly asked my Primary Doctor if he would start ordering my Valium and he said that would be OK, but you know what the best thing was...he did not have that knowing look on his face, he was was not judging me. I was blessed with him and so grateful. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thank you Blue it is so nice to hear that you have been silently walking beside me during my journey off, and yes I am overjoyed to not have to pour, rinse and repeat, you are right I do not have that heavy feeling around my ankle anymore. I am Free!!. He was a horrible person, but even though I felt I had no recourse, my mind was working overtime how to get away from him and I did. One day I calmly asked my Primary Doctor if he would start ordering my Valium and he said that would be OK, but you know what the best thing was...he did not have that knowing look on his face, he was was not judging me. I was blessed with him and so grateful. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

You were very fortunate to have a PD who believed in you. I just don't understand how some of these doctors think people are wanting to stay on these awful meds.

I also wonder how many of them......dare I say....are addicted to benzodiazepines. I'm sure there are some out there...and it's has nothing to do with addiction. They are wearing that ball and chain that as we know is difficult, but possible, to remove.

We understand, after our horrible experience....benzos have nothing to do with addiction. Some may take them recreationally....but for how long?? UNTIL one day by surprise, they wake up and see they are trapped in that awful, damp dungeon. Does the beaver live in this dungeon? You can reply back on the beaver if you want....who is the beaver? ;D

You were very fortunate to have a PD who believed in you. I just don't understand how some of these doctors think people are wanting to stay on these awful meds.

I also wonder how many of them......dare I say....are addicted to benzodiazepines. I'm sure there are some out there...and it's has nothing to do with addiction. They are wearing that ball and chain that as we know is difficult, but possible, to remove.

We understand, after our horrible experience....benzos have nothing to do with addiction. Some may take them recreationally....but for how long?? UNTIL one day by surprise, they wake up and see they are trapped in that awful, damp dungeon. Does the beaver live in this dungeon? You can reply back on the beaver if you want....who is the beaver? ;D

:smitten::thumbsup:    :smitten:

Congrats begood,

I admire your strength and courage, and your strong belief in healing. I sometimes let the doubts in, but I am getting better and not believing the doubts. Maybe that's healing, even though I am still tapering. I am so happy po you. You are an inspiration!  :smitten: :smitten:

Congrats begood,

I admire your strength and courage, and your strong belief in healing. I sometimes let the doubts in, but I am getting better and not believing the doubts. Maybe that's healing, even though I am still tapering. I am so happy po you. You are an inspiration!  :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you for such a lovely post, as far as I am concerned you have much strength and courage, I follow your posts and know first hand that you are much stronger than you think. We must have Hope of Healing and yes I do believe we Heal, but the caveat is that for each one of us...it takes as long as it takes, so we just do the best we can in the meantime. One day I will be reading your Celebration post. Stay Strong. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Dear BeGood, 

Congratulations on your November 8th, '19 walk off!!  Your story holds special hope, because like you - I was diagnosed with Meniere's and put on Clonazepam.  (It turned out to be Lyme).  Like you, I was on the floor with vertigo so awful I could not even sit up.  And, like you, my first two tapers were horrendous and failed.  I am going to succeed this time!  I love it that you claimed victory before you finished your taper!  In spite of being shamed and bullied by your doctor.  Your strong belief in healing, is an inspiration, and I am letting it in!    :smitten:

Dear BeGood, 

Congratulations on your November 8th, '19 walk off!!  Your story holds special hope, because like you - I was diagnosed with Meniere's and put on Clonazepam.  (It turned out to be Lyme).  Like you, I was on the floor with vertigo so awful I could not even sit up.  And, like you, my first two tapers were horrendous and failed.  I am going to succeed this time!  I love it that you claimed victory before you finished your taper!  In spite of being shamed and bullied by your doctor.  Your strong belief in healing, is an inspiration, and I am letting it in!    :smitten:

Thanks Janiceh, yes we must always hold on to Hope, without it...it can be very dark indeed. Oh the mistakes that happens in the Medical field that can cause such problems. I know that having Lyme had to be hard to deal with, but we do what we can to survive. Yes I had to believe that this third taper would be the charm, and I embraced that all the way down to 0, I will say that it is so true that what we think makes a lot of difference in how we accept things in life. I chose to not give in to negative thinking and so Grateful it worked for me. I know it is going to work for you, once we Accept...anything is possible. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Begood,

I am so happy for your success.  You have been and continue to be an inspiration to so many, including myself.  It us because of you that I began hoarding pills as my dosage decreased.  Turns out it was a good thing.  My PCP quit her practice in July.  Her NP was concerned about my being on Ativan.  When I told her I was doing a symptom based taper she was fine with it.

I had my first visit with a new PCP on the 20th.  She said I must immediately stop Ativan, she would switch me to Wellbutrin or Paxil.  She said I was not capable of managing a taper myself, nor was liquifying my pill a method that would work. (I'm an RN.) When I refused to switch to another med she walked out of the room and didn't come back. 

It is due to your suggestion that I have enough tablets left to continue and finish my taper.  Thank you and congratulations.  You never gave up and now you have your life back. Ginger

Begood,

I am so happy for your success.  You have been and continue to be an inspiration to so many, including myself.  It us because of you that I began hoarding pills as my dosage decreased.  Turns out it was a good thing.  My PCP quit her practice in July.  Her NP was concerned about my being on Ativan.  When I told her I was doing a symptom based taper she was fine with it.

I had my first visit with a new PCP on the 20th.  She said I must immediately stop Ativan, she would switch me to Wellbutrin or Paxil.  She said I was not capable of managing a taper myself, nor was liquifying my pill a method that would work. (I'm an RN.) When I refused to switch to another med she walked out of the room and didn't come back. 

It is due to your suggestion that I have enough tablets left to continue and finish my taper.  Thank you and congratulations.  You never gave up and now you have your life back. Ginger

Ginger I too am grateful that I kept a "stash" of Ambien.

Not long after being cold turkey'ed off both Ambien and Ativan, in a VA Inpatient setting, I realized I needed to safely taper these drugs.

I never did stop Ambien...since I had a "stash" from all the Inpatient visits that were directly linked to my reacting to these dangerous drugs.

The VA stopped filling both those drugs abruptly. Thank goodness I had enough Ambien to safely do a taper, once I realized the drugs had been my problem all along. The VA should never have c/t'ed me. Very dangerous what they did.

Fortunately, I had a doctor outside the VA system who agreed to prescribe a benzo, so I could then reinstate, and then safely taper off it.

Eventually I realized that the Ambien that came through my new pharmacist, was of a different strength/quality than that from the VA source. Fortunately, I had enough Ambien stashed from the VA, to taper off of Ambien. It took me around six months to taper...so was I ever glad to have that extra Ambien.

It is important that people never throw out any whole/or remnant of a medication that they are dependent on. I had no clue how important the Ambien stash would turn out....and I'm so thankful that I kept the surplus.

The difference between the two different companies was significant as regards the potency/quality of Ambien. I would have never known this(not all meds are equal) had I not gone through this experience.

You are very fortunate that you read Begood's post!!

Begood,

Thanks Gingermint, it is so good to read that what I post is helping others. One of the reasons for trying one more taper...I was afraid of the very thing you and others have gone through, getting jerked off of their medication, and I knew that if my first two tapers were so bad, the third would surely do me in. I was lucky that I had been saving for a while, in all honesty it felt better than having a million dollars in the bank. I guess what I experienced with my ENT, I could see the writing on the wall. As harsh as that Doctor was walking out on you was a very childish thing to do, so sad what we have to endure....but you have an ace in the hole and you will be OK. Giving up is never an option...only if to reorganize our taper and start anew. We are a lot stronger than a  >:D benzo, you got this. Do as you can when you can, and know that this too will pass. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Begood,

Ginger I too am grateful that I kept a "stash" of Ambien.

Not long after being cold turkey'ed off both Ambien and Ativan, in a VA Inpatient setting, I realized I needed to safely taper these drugs.

I never did stop Ambien...since I had a "stash" from all the Inpatient visits that were directly linked to my reacting to these dangerous drugs.

The VA stopped filling both those drugs abruptly. Thank goodness I had enough Ambien to safely do a taper, once I realized the drugs had been my problem all along. The VA should never have c/t'ed me. Very dangerous what they did.

Fortunately, I had a doctor outside the VA system who agreed to prescribe a benzo, so I could then reinstate, and then safely taper off it.

Eventually I realized that the Ambien that came through my new pharmacist, was of a different strength/quality than that from the VA source. Fortunately, I had enough Ambien stashed from the VA, to taper off of Ambien. It took me around six months to taper...so was I ever glad to have that extra Ambien.

It is important that people never throw out any whole/or remnant of a medication that they are dependent on. I had no clue how important the Ambien stash would turn out....and I'm so thankful that I kept the surplus.

The difference between the two different companies was significant as regards the potency/quality of Ambien. I would have never known this(not all meds are equal) had I not gone through this experience.

You are very fortunate that you read Begood's post!!

BlueRose,

You were fortunate too.  Congratulations on having the foresight to keep your pills.  A young friend was recently told abruptly by his doctor he had to quickly get off 2 years of daily ativan.  He was tapered in two weeks by this dr.  That was three months ago and he is suffering so much.  I have been counseling him by phone and told him what he is experiencing is normal benzo withdrawal.  He does not understand how doctors can cause so much harm and get away with it.

Congratulations for tapering off two bad drugs. That took some courage. Ginger

Way to go Begood! My sister has been dealing with Meniere's for almost a decade. It is such a debilitating disease and it breaks my heart to see her suffer from it most days of her life.  Just horrible!  I am so thankful she did not experience withdrawal when she stopped taking Valium after  long term use.  But she suffers so badly with Meniere's she has such a poor quality of life.  She does the best she can when she can.  Luckily she can work from home 2 days a week, as some days she is so dizzy she can not even drive her car to work.  She has missed a lot of work because she can't even look at her computer, she has to rest her head and lay down.  I feel for all you that suffer with Meniere's and vertigo. I had 2 bad days of vertigo about 3 weeks ago and it was awful.  Couldn't stop throwing up!  Begood, I wish you all the best as you continue to travel on the road to recovery.  You are always so positive and I too love looking at your positive words to lighten our day.  Thank you! ❤

Way to go Begood! My sister has been dealing with Meniere's for almost a decade. It is such a debilitating disease and it breaks my heart to see her suffer from it most days of her life.  Just horrible!  I am so thankful she did not experience withdrawal when she stopped taking Valium after  long term use.  But she suffers so badly with Meniere's she has such a poor quality of life.  She does the best she can when she can.  Luckily she can work from home 2 days a week, as some days she is so dizzy she can not even drive her car to work.  She has missed a lot of work because she can't even look at her computer, she has to rest her head and lay down.  I feel for all you that suffer with Meniere's and vertigo. Hang in there Janiceh!!!  I had 2 bad days of vertigo about 3 weeks ago and it was awful.  Couldn't stop throwing up!  Begood, I wish you all the best as you continue to travel on the road to recovery.  You are always so positive and I too love looking at your positive words to lighten our day.  Thank you! ❤

Thanks so much Blacklablady, everything your sister is feeling I had also, and I looked fine, but it was horrible...I am lucky that I have been doing so well, I have problems if I am overly tired or sick...and then sometimes I am doing great and just wake up with a bad attack, so I have learned to live with it mostly. Yes she was lucky she did not have wd post Valium. I hope you are doing well also. Thanks for reading Words to Lighten Our Day, I really put a lot of care placing them, I want to give back in some way, and that has been one of my contributions. Thanks again for your kind words. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

• 2 months later...

Six months "Update".....since I walked off...I am happy that things are going pretty good, I generally feel better, sleep is the same, but I feel rested with my 4 hr or slightly more sleep, and I am dreaming. It is what it is...and I am grateful I am sleeping. My benzo belly is a lot better, things moving as they should, normal for a change, and less swelling, all gone...no, but it is much better. I really believe the benzo belly does not just go away, it heals just as the Brain does...in its own time. I have been taking a daily probiotic for a while and then about 6 months ago I started drinking a couple of cups of Peppermint tea each day and it has helped I am sure. My Tinnitus is more or less gone, only when I am tired or not feeling well or having a full blown Meniere's attack. And I believe it is because I have been taking Ginger Root caps for a couple of years, and it just kept getting better, such a relief, having a bil ear disease I was used to it, but I am sure the benzo made it worse. So all in all doing better. I am eternally Grateful to now have 6 months into my healing. Thanks to those who supported me and walked beside me, you know who you are...Stay Strong and Stay Well and never ever give up on Healing...it takes Time and Patience, we don't always walk off to complete healing...that takes the Brain adjusting to a new normal. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

"When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."~AU.

• 2 months later...

Eight Month Update, pretty much seem to be healing, slowly, but all in all things seem better. Benzo Belly still there, but much better, think it will be until my Brain totally heals. Sleep seems to be OK, sometimes a bit more, but average is about 4 to 5 hrs, the latter once in a while, deep sleep, dreams and wake refreshed, so I am OK with this, no use letting this sway my thinking, I am sleeping and that is important. So as healing continues, I am just so grateful for my Journey and glad that I tried one more time to get off. Stay Strong and Stay Safe. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

"When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."~AU.

Dearest BG,  So very well done, proud of you.  Don't worry about who doesn't acknowledge your struggles, we know .  The ones who love you.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smitten: :smitten:

Wow, 8 months off, BG! I missed this when you first put it up, so I'm glad it got bumped. I love your story. I hope others see it and know they can do it, too! :smitten: