Back to Ativan after Valium Crossover?

[Fa...]

Hi all-I am wondering if if I should go back to ativan and continue to taper directly

from ativan. I am currently on 13 mg total per day of valium (after taking a few weeks

to cross-taper to the valium, per Ashton).My reason:Crushing depression/crying spells on the valium. Or should I stay put on the valium, as the problems from the ativan might be

worse. I had interdose withdrawal symptoms with the ativan, just not thus crushing sadness and depression. And, if I did go back to the ativan, could I just go straight back, or would I have cross-taper back.Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

20 yrs. on and off ativan, never took more than 2.0 mg in a day.

You probably wouldn't need to take as long crossing back over since Ativan is fast acting.  Have you tapered at all since you completed the crossover to Valium?

How often did you dose the Ativan when you were still taking it?

Could I get you to add your medication history in your signature, here are the instructions.  Add your history/signature 

Hi-I have tapered slightly to 13 mg of valium (started with 15mg of valium-equivalent of 1.5mg of ativan). I dosed the ativan 2-3x a day, totaling 1.5 mg: .5 in the morning,

1.0 in the late afternoon/early evening.

Hi, FaithNotFear

As you can see, I've been on roughly the same dose as you for nearly as long. I haven't found a doctor who seems to know very much about benzo tapers. So, I'm doing a direct taper because I don't have a choice. I suppose a different unicorn of a doctor could be in my area, but I am just accepting what is, for now.

Also, I didn't want to put a lot of energy into the idea of a valium cross-over if it wasn't guaranteed to make all of this easier. I don't want to risk antagonizing the one doctor I have.

I have interdose withdrawal that can bring the day to a screeching halt sometimes, but I seem to have found ways of coping, thanks to BB. I only work part-time, and I don't have highly visible hard deadlines. My kids are launched, too. I may be able to cope with a fairly fast taper because I don't have as much day-to-day pressure. But I just wanted to let you know that I've been doing this without valium, so it is possible. I discovered that by reading threads of direct tapers by others who went before me.

Just to make sure that I understand where you're at, it looks like you are on a dose of valium that is roughly equivalent to 1.3 mg ativan? Were you able to maintain a certain level of functionality before the crossover?

If you aren't having terrible symptoms from the ativan w/d, but are having new psychological symptoms from valium that feel debilitating, I wonder if the valium isn't actually assisting you at this point. Perhaps you would be okay to directly taper for a while longer until you get to a lower dose? The ativan seems to be more of a known quantity after such a long time. I understand your quandry, not having figured it all out for myself.

At this point, I am trying to figure out the best times of day to take the ativan and how much, so that I don't have as much interdose withdrawal. It is not easy, because I was taking the same amount at the same time every day for so long. My body seems confused by taking smaller doses at more regular intervals. I'm not sure how well it would handle a crossover onto a different drug with a different set of effects in just a few weeks time. I suppose I'll find out if the time comes.

I'm guessing that if you have only been on the valium for a few weeks, it doesn't seem too risky to just switch back to the ativan. I hope that someone with experience on the cross-over will weigh in.

I am getting from your message that you are fairly accepting and familiar with ativan w/d symptoms, but these new valium side effects are more concerning to you. Does that sound right?

Liz

Baroness-Thanks so much for your reply. You are correct-I got to 1.3 mg ativan gefirevtge valium crossover. I did have functionality on the ativan, not great, but I felt better than I do now on the valium. Your suggestion of going back to a direct taper until I get to a lower dose is one that I have been contemplating-I think it may be worth a try. Your observation about whether the valium may not be helping me is also one that I have made over and over in my mind.

You are right-these new valium side effects are concerning me.