Dry Scale Under 0.004 g measurements

[Ms...]

Does anyone have a 0.001 g scale to taper? If so, does yours do readings under 0.004? The one I have only goes to 0.004 then stops and won't register anything lower. This is problematic as I am at the end of my taper and my pills are weight 0.006. LMK brand if you do! Thanks!

[52...]

Those scales aren't going to be accurate for those small weights.  The error is too large.

Alternative strategies...

1) Weigh 10 mg (which you can do fairly accurately), then visually divide the sample into halves, thirds or quarters to give ~5mg, ~3mg or ~2.5mg.  It's not difficult to visually divide a 10 mg pile into 2, 3 or 4 fairly equal piles.  A single-edge razor blade on glass or a mirror works well to divide and move piles around.

2) Add inert matter to your pill, then crush and weigh the mixture.  Something like starch or a crushed up antacid pill (e.g. Tums) combined with an intact benzo pill will increase the total weight significantly.  The dosage that was going to weigh 3mg might now weigh 20-30mg, depending on how much 'inert matter' you add.  You have to crush and mix really well. 

3) Switch to a liquid taper to finish.

Actually, if you're down to <5mg, I'm guessing you're close to jumping.

Congratulations on nearing the finish line of your taper, MsAtomicBomb!

(1) Tagging on to badsocref’s add “inert matter” strategy, Buddie Bob7 used microcrystalline cellulose to add weight to his crushed clonazepam tablets.  He documented his method (including video clips) at:

Benzo Dry Taper Math

https://benzodrytapermath.com/

Re: badsocref’s recommendation to crush and mix the tablets and “inert matter” very well, these videos might be of interest:

Compounding Tips: Geometric Dilution

Compounding Tips: Trituration

(2) Re: your question about scales ...

Buddie libr used an Entris Analytical Balance for her clonazepam taper. She did not specify what model she used but here’s the URL to the manufacturer’s website:

Sartorius Entris

https://www.sartorius.com/us-en/products/weighing/laboratory-balances/entry-level-balances/entris

I can't speak to the medication, but I can to the scale.

When weighing very small amounts like you are describing you will have better accuracy if you place a small flat item such as a hardware washer or a coin on the scale under your weighing paper or boat. This allows the scale to be in a measurable range. Don't tear the scale after adding the weight. Write down the weight of the item you use and add the weight of the medication needed to find the final weight you want the scale to read.

Please bear in mind that scale accuracy in the thousandths is poor on most scales. You will need to refer to the specs that came with the scale to find out the manufacturer stated accuracy. No matter how precise you are, you can't overcome the inherent inaccuracy of the scale.