Medication question

[ma...]

I am on a fast taper off Xanax because I can longer get a refill. I see a psychiatrist tomorrow. I saw the therapist in the group yesterday. She said the doctor would probably put me on an antidepressant and Klonopin or Ativan. She said he don’t usually prescribe Xanax or Valium. If given a choice what would be the best. Thank you for any advice and help!

I saw the therapist yesterday and went well. I see the psychiatrist tomorrow. The therapist said the psychiatrist does not usually prescribe Xanax or Valium. She said he would probably be putting me on an antidepressant and maybe Klonopin or Ativan. If given the choice which one is better. Thanks for any help and advice!

An antidepressant would be far better than Klonopin or Ativan. I’m not sure why a psychiatrist would prescribe Xanax and Valium but not Ativan or Klonopin. They’re all benzodiazepines. 

Males no sense to me.

Thank you for the responses. The problem is I’m on a fast taper because I can’t get another refill of Xanax. I don’t have many pills left and don’t want to have to just stop and get sicker.

I see, I missed that on the first read. 

If he can prescribe Klonopin or Ativan, he can also prescribe Xanax. In my opinion, that’s exactly what he should do rather than possibly switching you over to another benzodiazepine.

You’re still on a significant dose of Xanax. I’d take him Ashton’s taper schedule for Xanax and ask for support for your Xanax taper rather than a switch to another benzo.

Is that a possibility, do you think?

Right. If he gives you a choice, I’d then try for Valium, although that will require a period of time to cross to, it’s not a good idea to switch suddenly.

If that’s a no, I’d go with Ativan since it’s a short-acting benzo like Xanax. I’m not a fan of Klonopin. It seems like people who take Klonopin have more difficulty than others, but that’s only an observation I’ve made over the years, not personal experience.

Xanax is twice the potency of Ativan, so he’d need to prescribe double the mgs... 1mg Xanax = roughly 2mg Ativan.