Came across his old thread

[Bw...]

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=134578.msg1799716#msg1799716

thoughts?

I hadn't thought about it but does getting off the drug lead to permanent damage. Would I have been best served just going up on dose?

I have thought a lot about what would happen if I had just gone up when I weird symptoms happen. Through searching I found this site which reinforced my thinking that the benzo was behind my symptoms. My choice was go up or get off. I choose get off but its hard not to think if it was the right choice for myself and family. My family/pcp and physch wanted me to go up because it was easier. I just felt like going up was a temporary fix and I was going to be here eventually.

I absolutely should not have tried to come off of 20 years of same 10mgs diazepam a day for spasm.

And in December 2017 when I went back on for 3 days and it still worked ok before all my muscles literally got destroyed by withdrawal I should not have been scared off by BBs and Ashton and I should have just stayed on.

Now I am retapering for 3rd time, my Muscles are destroyed, my spine is being further damaged by my body literally crushing itself (shows on MRI) . As dose gets lower there is literally no physical position that is bearable and now my nervous system is so sensitised I can’t take anything. I have lost senstation through my body inside and out and it is likely the diazepam has also helped the hyperacusis and chemical sensitivities I had since 1996 due to ME/CFS - now all of that is much more severe and the limited life I had before WD has been ruined completely.

I literally do not see me surviving this let alone recovering.

It is the worst possible decision I could have made for my physical health.

thoughts?

I hadn't thought about it but does getting off the drug lead to permanent damage. Would I have been best served just going up on dose?

I have thought a lot about what would happen if I had just gone up when I weird symptoms happen. Through searching I found this site which reinforced my thinking that the benzo was behind my symptoms. My choice was go up or get off. I choose get off but its hard not to think if it was the right choice for myself and family. My family/pcp and physch wanted me to go up because it was easier. I just felt like going up was a temporary fix and I was going to be here eventually.

My question is, what happens when your body grows tolerant to the increased dose, will your Dr raise it again?  At what point will you be cut off left to figure out a way to safely come off the drug without a supplier?  The laws are changing, the opioid epidemic has made Dr's, politicians, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and regulators nervous, they're coming for benzo's next and the crack down has already begun.

It looks like you're tolerant to the Ambien as well if you're taking more than your prescribed dose. I would imagine you're experiencing a double whammy of withdrawal symptoms from both drugs.

There aren't enough studies done to know for sure if there is permanent damage, the general consensus is everyone heals, we just don't know how long that takes for everyone.  For me, about a year. 

Getting off the drug isn’t what might lead to damage, it’s the drug itself that causes the damage. Withdrawing from the benzo or z-drug exposes the changes that've happened.

As to permanence, that’s a mixed bag of mostly opinion. There’s no research to show permanent damage that I’m aware of, but there is anecdotal evidence here on the forum in the protracted section that indicates healing can take longer than 10 years for a small percentage of people.

[d2...]

Pamster, you are so right that the heat is on doctors to get out of the benzo prescribing business!!  I'm new to BB and I've said it on here before but my kind, caring doctor gave me a warning that she wanted me to taper off Klonopin because the DEA and the hospital system she works for are putting heat on her and other doctors to get out of the benzo prescribing business.

Benzos are definitely going the way of opioids.  That is one of the main messages I want people on BB to know ... the regulations and restrictions are tightening.  I used to get a one month supply with 5 refills.  Now, by law, I can only get a one month supply with 2 refills ... which means I have to see my doctor every three months now instead of every six.  I want OFF this merry-go-round.

As difficult as tapering off can be, I'm glad my doctor cared enough about to me to warn me and not leave me hanging when the cord is cut!!  :thumbsup:

Pamster, you are so right that the heat is on doctors to get out of the benzo prescribing business!!  I'm new to BB and I've said it on here before but my kind, caring doctor gave me a warning that she wanted me to taper off Klonopin because the DEA and the hospital system she works for are putting heat on her and other doctors to get out of the benzo prescribing business.

Benzos are definitely going the way of opioids.  That is one of the main messages I want people on BB to know ... the regulations and restrictions are tightening.  I used to get a one month supply with 5 refills.  Now, by law, I can only get a one month supply with 2 refills ... which means I have to see my doctor every three months now instead of every six.  I want OFF this merry-go-round.

As difficult as tapering off can be, I'm glad my doctor cared enough about to me to warn me and not leave me hanging when the cord is cut!!  :thumbsup:

Wow, thank Kate, this is very good information for me to know, I'll help you spread the word.  :thumbsup:

thoughts?

My question is, what happens when your body grows tolerant to the increased dose, will your Dr raise it again?  At what point will you be cut off left to figure out a way to safely come off the drug without a supplier?  The laws are changing, the opioid epidemic has made Dr's, politicians, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and regulators nervous, they're coming for benzo's next and the crack down has already begun.

It looks like you're tolerant to the Ambien as well if you're taking more than your prescribed dose. I would imagine you're experiencing a double whammy of withdrawal symptoms from both drugs.

There aren't enough studies done to know for sure if there is permanent damage, the general consensus is everyone heals, we just don't know how long that takes for everyone.  For me, about a year.

I don't disagree with this. Knowing that doctors wont be prescribing it much is a big reason for getting off as well. I just get depressed thinking what if I still feel like this in a year. I'm staying away from gabapentin for now because I feel it will eventually head the same way as benzos. I just fear I'm letting my family down by suffering so much right now and I don't know if its something that will ever go away. 

I wasn't very enlightened when I went through this, I kept expecting to be healed each month, I didn't look at it in years.  I don't know if its better to have a realistic view of this, by looking in terms of years, or to be constantly disappointed like I was when I went on so much longer than I expected.  I guess they both stink.

I know you feel like you're hurting your family, but for once, you have to think of yourself.  Too often we put ourselves last when it comes to the family dynamic but this time, it has to be you because when you return to them, you'll be the best version of you they've ever seen.  I promise, it will be worth it to you and to them.

[d2...]

I wasn't very enlightened when I went through this, I kept expecting to be healed each month, I didn't look at it in years.  I don't know if its better to have a realistic view of this, by looking in terms of years, or to be constantly disappointed like I was when I went on so much longer than I expected.  I guess they both stink.

I know you feel like you're hurting your family, but for once, you have to think of yourself.  Too often we put ourselves last when it comes to the family dynamic but this time, it has to be you because when you return to them, you'll be the best version of you they've ever seen.  I promise, it will be worth it to you and to them.

Pamster, thank you for the reminder that we must put ourselves first if we want to succeed!!  I have a family member who has leaned on me for years and this person is taking it hard that I am not coughing up the time and support I once did but I just don't have it in me right now.  This person even suggested I see a psychiatrist to get my prescription since my family doctor is wanting me to taper off!! That is NOT what I want to do, doctor chase just to please someone else.  Good grief ...

Yes, I will be a better version of myself after this is over.  :smitten::thumbsup:

This person even suggested I see a psychiatrist to get my prescription since my family doctor is wanting me to taper off!!

Oh man, this makes my blood boil, this clearly signals to me that this person puts their needs over your health and happiness.  :tickedoff:

Sorry Bwillow24, had to get that out.

[d2...]

This person even suggested I see a psychiatrist to get my prescription since my family doctor is wanting me to taper off!!

Oh man, this makes my blood boil, this clearly signals to me that this person puts their needs over your health and happiness.  :tickedoff:

Pamster, it was me, Kate08 who wrote that but I appreciate your support.  It made my blood boil, too.  But anger is a good motivator!!

Pamster, it was me, Kate08 who wrote that but I appreciate your support.  It made my blood boil, too.  But anger is a good motivator!!

I know, I was apologizing to Bwillow for hogging the thread to blast your relative.  :laugh: