Neurological issues/ Neuropathy Group

[Ma...]

Perhaps I should not post at the moment since I am not up to a full post. I developed mild to moderate numbness in my toes about 18 months ago which led me to understanding the issues with Benzo's and starting my taper. The taper has been long though not that bad, yet the going has become a slog recently

In early December I took Percocet for what I thought was kidney stone pain, and then foolishly added cigarettes, and Marijuana. Been off all of that for about 11 days. The numbness/neuropathy has gotten much worse. I had been thinking it might not be benzo related and looking into some treatments for neuropathy that seemed fairly promising, but now I am swinging back in the direction of believing that it is Benzo related and pretty upset about it all. I know there is still reasonable hope it could get better, and in some ways I suppose it is not that painful so far but it is just o in your head. I am not saying I would trade it for something painful, but it is so different than dealing with pain

There is some pain of course and I should thank my lucky stars there is not more. Kind of surprised there is no group for this since this was listed by Ashton as one of the more common symptoms. I am probably gong to get a neurological workup at some point o see whether there might be actual damage to the nerves I am sensing the nueropathy in. My understanding that if it is Benzo related there is likely no actual damage t the nerves in the periphery itself. Hope to hear from some of you

Hi MattNapa.  I have idiopathic axonal polyneuropathy in my feet and legs, but I doubt it's from xanax.  I am curious to see if it improves after I finish weaning though since  I know Ashton lists neuroapathy.    I was tested for every possible cause, and though we never found the cause, my neurologist doubts it's the xanax.  But I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so it could be caused from that.

That said, there are a lot of things that can cause neuropathy.  Autoimmune diseases, B12 deficiency,  too much B6, diabetes, blood cancers (don't let that freak you out) pinched nerves, and other things.  About 1/3 of all neuropathies are idiopathic - they  just don't know what causes it.  Sometimes they just go away on their own. 

It's good to get a neurological work up.  Holding a good thought for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy all,

In tolerance, taper, withdrawal, and first 16 months benzo free, I didn’t have a lot of neuro pain.

But past few months - whoa! Started in hip, but now it’s basically entire body!

Questions I hope we get answers to some day:

Is it muscle? Is it nerve? Is it peripheral? It is CNS?

Hopefully, we’ll make some progress in the future!

I have a lot of numbness in my hands and face. It started towards the end of my taper and has got worse over time.

It feels very much nerve related as it gives me a sensation not dis similar to knocking my elbows,  but it runs further up my arms. 

I am hoping it will fade with time, It feels so very uncomfortable though not painful, It is also in the some of the toes of my left foot.

In the night I am sometimes woken with my arms and hands gone dead, and a feeling that the nerve running down the outside of my hands has been knocked, it can leave my little finger curled till I shake and shake my hands,  then it eases but the numbness remains

The odd thing is that sometimes late evening it is hardly there at all , though it neve goes completely. The fleshing bits above my thumbs are tingly and numb all the time, and the ends of my fingers feel as if I have had my finger prints burnt off . All such odd sensations, 

My cheeks feel strange at times as does my mouth tongue and lips,

I really am hoping that in time it will fade away

I have seen the Doctor twice about it, and was told they don't think it  MS or ALS or a stroke, so I am a bit lost

My bloods are all normal so not B12 or diabetes, ,everything normal

I keep pestering and  as the Doctor really does think that benzo withdrawal should have cleared up after 3 months she is thinking about a neurologist,

However as the country is now caught up with the corona virus I think that highly unlikely for some time

Hopefully it will have cleared up before then

I imagine though that as this started in withdrawal it is related to that and is a listed symptom.

It that is the case it should eventually fade at some point, as hopefully my tinnitus will too

I suspect though, that both will take some time, but may gradually fade away till I suddenly realise it's gone

I do hope you find solutions,

Jen

My left arm used to fall asleep all the time lying here on the sofa.  It doesn't do it so much anymore though.

Hey buddies- just thought I'd jump in this group since the neuropathy is my Number 1 symptom. Most of you know my story already. Never had it before benzos and have been tested for anything and everything.....perfect athletic body before...6 months of benzos, awful rapid wd and more meds....boom! the most horrendous neuropathy.

It was 100% med induced. When I started to try and taper benzo it started in my left hand and left knee between doses...and would go away after dose .

Pisses me off to No end! And I feel bad for everyone who's got it!

Anyway, just thought I'd join the thread😊

• 2 months later...

Hey to all that might be following I just want to post something to knock this up wards occasionally Personally having a reasonable tough time but probably not surprising. Its funny how you mostly just care about surviving though and not losing the ability to cope. On the other hand you feel like you are likely way better off than others likely to  have to deal with it, and your just a wimp building up your sideshow of bravery. You kind of lose where you are, or even the desire to meditate and really be in your body  After all who really wants to 'get into' what it is to be like this. I am not trying to be negative at all really just the way you can't quite be in your skin. I still have a good relationship with my Wife, but closeness is impossible The relationship and our love is beautiful thing that I know exists and that it is there. But it is not here if that makes any sense It is like I just have to look at it through some objective version of me  instead of the subjective me.

As for physical things The foot prickliness, mushiness and pain is definitely a fair amount worse in the last week. I thought it might be a new BP Med, but have no been able to stop taking the BP med and no real rise in three days. I got kind of bad sunburn on my back and really could not feel almost anything for two days and now some 5 or 6 days later it is making me crazy. I pull weeds and have skin contact and I get kind of crazy itchiness, burning numbness, in areas not even where the contact the weeds was made. Weird stuff