Akathisia

[Ca...]

Does anyone have severe internal akathisia for many months while tapering?

Yes, its so difficult to explain to anybody. Initially for the first 4 months I paced a lot and could not keep still. The pacing has stopped, but I have this continual internal "stressor" if one could call it that to keep moving. The best explanation is that I still suffer from insomnia, when I do sleep and wake up, its like I never slept and watched a high adrenaline movie. I cant even doze off if I am exhausted, as have this continual internal restlessness...

To all with akathisia - Have had two tapers; experienced it with both.

I often write about using supplements. Many dismiss them or complain of adverse reactions, but I have found them life saving. 

Taurine, a pseudo amino acid, has natural anti-seizure properties. Those with seizures have abnormally high glutamate. Taurine lowers glutamate. If you research it, you'll find it has numerous health benefits.

Depending on my symptoms, I might dose 100mg-250mg x1- x5/day. At different times in both tapers, I've noticed I would get more muscular symptoms or feeling "internal shaking." These were always relieved.  I think it's wise to base the dose on both symptoms and body weight. At my worst, I weighed 110lbs and did these doses.

**You must take it with food. It very effectively lowers blood sugar. It has benefits for diabetes and diabetic retinopathy. I have never had any adverse effects, but I monitor my sugar with a glucometer. My opinion, but due to the glutamate's effects on the pancreas, a glucometer is a useful tool for all tapers.

Currently I am at 1mg Valium. As it waxes and wanes, right now I've used 250mg x1- x3/day. It is especially useful to me in the morning for the "wake-up jitters." 

It's a way to decrease the misery. Best of luck to all.

I don't know if people with extremely severe Akathisia can do it -- but I found that any kind of "letting go" meditations can be good. I normally light candles and incense, put on something like soothing native american chants, then just sit and watch what happens to my body-mind -- no attempt to do anything. When I sit around like that, after a short while, my body and mind starts to calm down. The calmed down feeling starts to linger throughout the day, if the meditation is done everyday. This is just my experience. Give it a try if it feels right. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...