Decreased IQ already during tolerance?

[Re...]

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if any of you faced much lower IQ results and overall cognitive impairment already while building up a tolerance and before starting the withdrawal.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Well, I didn't have my IQ tested.  ::)  But . . .

I felt dumb as a post during my taper. I couldn't read or watch tv or talk on the phone or understand conversations or fill out online forms. That lasted throughout my taper. Once I was done, however, my cognitive functioning came back. All of it.

I hope this makes you feel a little better. We may feel we'll never recover, but we do.

Best to you,

Katz

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if any of you faced much lower IQ results and overall cognitive impairment already while building up a tolerance and before starting the withdrawal.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

No, my cognition was fine until I ceased the use of benzos or started to w/d from their use.  My cognition returned after reinstating. Self administered IQ tests confirm my statement. 

I also felt pretty 'dumb' during tolerance and withdrawal.  I continued to teach but to be honest, my teaching wasn't stellar and neither was my playing.  There seemed to be a disconnect between my brain and my fingers.

Once off benzos and in recovery my cognition and therefore my IQ started to improve. It got better and better and my ability to concentrate improved as well.  My first performance post benzos was a real break through. I was able to concentrate and perform at a high level. It continues to this day, I've been off benzos and healed for a long time.

Now I work at keeping my brain young and flexible since I'm in my upper 60's.  Use it or lose it.

pianogirl  :smitten:

When I was in the very early stages of benzo withdrawal, I was not functioning at my normal IQ and cognitive levels.  I have recovered my reasoning and memory. I am 67 years old.  Mental acuity returns as withdrawal symptoms wane. 

• 10 months later...

I am bumping this up because it seems closest to the support I'm looking for, although my cognitive and memory issues started during withdrawal and not before.  I desperately want to hear that I'm not alone, and that others got better.

Haimona

I must have been at least 50% less intelligent when I was on all these meds. I was not able to read, to drive the car - to cook a simple recipe was like solving a huge puzzle.

My brain has never been faster than now. I would withdraw again, but maybe in a more Ashton like way.

I am bumping this up because it seems closest to the support I'm looking for, although my cognitive and memory issues started during withdrawal and not before.  I desperately want to hear that I'm not alone, and that others got better.

Haimona

We are taking different paths; you are continuing to taper & I up-dosed and am holding to remain mentally and physically functional. My job and other nonoccupational activities require me to make split second error free decisions and maintain superior hand/eye coordination. Whatever path a person chooses, I'm convinced that utilizing your brain & physical attributes to their fullest extent without causing discomfort or debilitation is important in maintaining your skillsets and staying on top of your game. Sincere Best Wishes 

That's interesting, Fi.  Did you find your cognition returned right away when you updosed, or did it take a while? I might be tempted to try it for a day, just to see what happens.  If nothing else, it might answer my question.

You also have my sincere good wishes.

Haimona

That's interesting, Fi.  Did you find your cognition returned right away when you updosed, or did it take a while? I might be tempted to try it for a day, just to see what happens.  If nothing else, it might answer my question.

You also have my sincere good wishes.

Haimona

For me, it took more than a few days but less than a few months for my adverse reactions to decreased dosages and another previous cold turkey cessation for my mental and physical functionality to return to baseline (pre-withdrawal/cessation). I still have a medically documented physiological dependence on Xanax and take it as prescribed and in accordance with an informed consent contract with my medical provider for long-term use of Xanax. I was first prescribed a benzodiazepine for "cluster headaches" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache at the age of 18 and have been treated first with Valium, which I tried to attempt a cold turkey cessation, and then treated with Xanax, from which I tried a taper, my entire adult life. Personally, I prefer to live with symptoms of tolerance rather than the loss of mental and physical disfunction.

"Personally, I prefer to live with symptoms of tolerance rather than the loss of mental and physical disfunction."

I really respect that.  I too have taken benzos as prescribed, for anxiety and insomnia, for a long time.  I was really doing fine until I started trying to take myself off the lorazepam.  Ironically, I made that decision because I had read about the dementia risk associated with long-term use.  But until I got to a low dose in my taper, my memory and cognition were fine. 

For now, my plan is to sit at this dose I've reached until (hopefully!) things start to stabilize and I can get back to functioning better.  I hope that happens, and soon.  It's very hard to function like this.

Haimona

"Personally, I prefer to live with symptoms of tolerance rather than the loss of mental and physical disfunction."

I really respect that.  I too have taken benzos as prescribed, for anxiety and insomnia, for a long time.  I was really doing fine until I started trying to take myself off the lorazepam.  Ironically, I made that decision because I had read about the dementia risk associated with long-term use.  But until I got to a low dose in my taper, my memory and cognition were fine. 

For now, my plan is to sit at this dose I've reached until (hopefully!) things start to stabilize and I can get back to functioning better.  I hope that happens, and soon.  It's very hard to function like this.

Haimona

I understand. I need to dose Xanax about every 4 to 5 hours, day and night. It's irritating to be dependent upon it but I've learned to accept it for what it is. I hope your path works for you, if it doesn't you may find another path that does work. Best Wishes :)