Went cold turkey off SSRI

[To...]

Today I was listening to a podcast about benzo withdrawal. The guest and host were talking about how quitting SSRIs can be as difficult as quitting benzo's. It raised some concern for me because a year and a half ago I went cold turkey off of Celexa after taking it for about 8 years. Now I am tapering off the benzo and it's been a tough go. I hope I haven't set myself up for a longer recovery or no recovery. Not trying to be dramatic or alarmist, I just wish I had known to taper the AD.

After I quit Celexa, I was definitely hit with symptoms. It started with an intensely deep depression. Then after several months it morphed into benzo withdrawal. It was such a surreal experience as I'm sure many can relate to. I still wonder how things might be different if I had not quit the AD so abruptly, and how that may have compounded benzo withdrawal problems.

So far I haven't found anyone who quit the AD first, let alone cold turkey. I hope I haven't made myself one of those outliers!

• 3 weeks later...

I wish someone had responded. After 5 weeks on Zoloft I realize that it isn't "good" for this benzo w/d process, for me. I don't want to stay on any longer because I haven't even reached that magical 6 week mark. I've slowly lowered over the past few nights, but I was already only on the starting dose. I can't answer your question. But maybe someone else will soon...

I Ct'ed SSRI after 20 years use then went into Benzo Withdrawal - Ive always wondered if it sensitised my nervous system which made the whole benzo thing worse

I Ct'ed SSRI after 20 years use then went into Benzo Withdrawal - Ive always wondered if it sensitised my nervous system which made the whole benzo thing worse

Hi Suzi

That's exactly how it all started for me too. I've been wondering the same thing.

I wish someone had responded. After 5 weeks on Zoloft I realize that it isn't "good" for this benzo w/d process, for me. I don't want to stay on any longer because I haven't even reached that magical 6 week mark. I've slowly lowered over the past few nights, but I was already only on the starting dose. I can't answer your question. But maybe someone else will soon...

After my cold turkey from Celexa (Citalopram) I tried Zoloft too. It was bad for me also.

Hi Tom,

After they cold turkeyed me off the prozac I was then put on zoloft too, I couldnt tolerate it at all. I think they tried another 2 after that. All adverse reactions. Its like the CT from the prozac sensitised my system to all Antidepressants

Hi Tom,

After they cold turkeyed me off the prozac I was then put on zoloft too, I couldnt tolerate it at all. I think they tried another 2 after that. All adverse reactions. Its like the CT from the prozac sensitised my system to all Antidepressants

Wow, that is so similar to my experience. They tried several antidepressants and a couple of them twice after my cold turkey. Each one seemed to make me worse and I could not reinstate. I really could not tolerate them at all.

Zoloft is what landed me in this whole benzo mess. That being said, there are a lot of people in the AD groups that suggest tapering off the AD first then the benzo. The benzo supposedly acts as a “brake” because they’re sedating, while ADs are excitatory (hence the startup anxiety many have on them).

I'm other way round made to CT off zopiclone Jan2019 tried taking citalopram then sertraline for 5 months starting Sept 19 made things whole lot worse really set me back and given me OCD. Think when bodies sensitised while still in withdrawl probably shouldn't have taken theem doctors have no idea. Did ct the anti depressant as only been on them short term and the side effects been awful.

Zoloft is what landed me in this whole benzo mess. That being said, there are a lot of people in the AD groups that suggest tapering off the AD first then the benzo. The benzo supposedly acts as a “brake” because they’re sedating, while ADs are excitatory (hence the startup anxiety many have on them).

Yes people have differing opinions on this. Some people say it's better to get off the benzo first, others say get off the AD first.

I started taking Sertraline shortly after I started Ativan … I meant to take the latter only until the AD kicked in, and unfortunately I got hit with dependence (very quickly!) and the withdrawal symptoms started.

Did the Sertraline help me during BWD? Or make me worse? Has it delayed my healing?? I'm not really sure … but I'm trying to get off the Sertraline now. Tapering it has been rough and I'm going at a snail's pace (about 1% a month on average).

Zoloft is the one that really messed me up too.

I recently made an attempt to come off of Paxil. Started from 10mg and it was uneventful until I hit 5mg and then everything went wrong. My chest was going a mile a minute, sweating and chills that makes any flu look like a walk in the park, can't sleep, the worst nausea. I held out for as long as I could but by the end I wanted to die. It was so bad, my benzo taper was nothing like this.

I recently made an attempt to come off of Paxil. Started from 10mg and it was uneventful until I hit 5mg and then everything went wrong. My chest was going a mile a minute, sweating and chills that makes any flu look like a walk in the park, can't sleep, the worst nausea. I held out for as long as I could but by the end I wanted to die. It was so bad, my benzo taper was nothing like this.

Hi there. Looking at your signature, it looks like you recently jumped off your benzo? If so I think you attempted to come off your SSRI too soon. Your central nervous system is still sensitive and compromised. I’ve heard that it’s better to wait until you’re completely healed from benzo withdrawal.

I started tapering sertraline about six months after my been so cold turkey. It’s been rough and I definitely feel the with drawl symptoms. Believe it or not I’ve only been able to reduce by about 1% a month!!! A snails pace because I need to stay functional.