Air Hunger/Conscious Breathing seems to be the symptom that just wont let go.

[Li...]

Most of the crazy mental symptoms have faded into something tolerable and seem to come and go. But I'm still stuck with this relentless mindf*ck that is conscious breathing. Its constantly being aware of breathing and being forced to control each breath, as if someone asked you to start deep breathing, but your mind wont take back control. I'm able to distract sometimes by thinking about other things, but my mind will inevitably go right back to it.

It will just happen when I'm doing something, like the automatic normal breathing just switches off and I'm aware of it again. It honestly makes me feel insane sometimes. I think I'm hard on myself because I feel like it's my fear and dislike of the symptom that keeps it around?

I've had a difficult time convincing myself that this one is still withdrawal. Not really sure what else it could be though. I stay away from sugar/caffeine, work everyday and do my best to just live on, be healthy and ignore it. But it definitely weighs me down and at times makes it tough to focus on other things.

The conscious breathing specifically seems to be one of those symptoms that is tough to find people talking about and doesnt seem incredibly common. The people that I did see talking about it in the past left the forums at some point without really mentioning if they went away or not.

Just venting. Have had this on and off for two years or so. I definitely think it's related to anxiety, just not sure what you do about it because I mostly have it all the time these days. Guess all we can really do is hang in there.

I had this symptom too earlier on and it’s horrible I know. I imagine this one has come back because your recent slip with alcohol, which reignited some old symptoms. I can’t tell you how long it will last, but I’m sure it will fade over time. Have you heard of something call Buteyko Breathing Method? I started doing it after reading in a success story it helped someone. It involves holding your breath in controlled ways and is supposed to help with various ailments. It’s kind of hard to explain but it might be worth a try.

I still get this from time to time.  I noticed it again last night while laying down trying to sleep.  It was like all of the sudden I realized (or so I thought) that I wasn’t breathing. I had to consciously take some deep breaths in and out to try and regain the rhythm of breathing again. Like you said, it’s almost as if my autonomic breathing just kinda quit on me for a while.  I know this obviously isn’t true as I did fall asleep and unconsciously breathed throughout the night. It can be a bit unsettling, I know but I think it will pass as I don’t get it nearly as often anymore.

Best wishes!

• 1 month later...
[89...]

Hey Man,

Can we get an update on how you are doing?  I've been banned from PM so I can't message you anymore.

I have the same problem. Many symptoms have disappeared, but this and weakness remain. And I can't handle stress. As I write, or read, I forget to breathe. Then I get so dry in my mouth.

I read a book about breathing. They recommended tape over the mouth as a reminder. I've written notes everywhere; breathe! But I forget anyway.  :)

Totally man, I dont really having any core symtpoms left, just odd flare ups that arent too bad and manageable so far. But this one seems to come back an awful lot still. The hard part is i cant tell the different between this as a symptom and normal anxiety anymore. It used to be easy to tell what was def benzos and what was this.

Meditation can interrupt it for a few seconds and sort of reset before it graduallly slides back off rhythm

Totally man, I dont really having any core symtpoms left, just odd flare ups that arent too bad and manageable so far. But this one seems to come back an awful lot still. The hard part is i cant tell the different between this as a symptom and normal anxiety anymore. It used to be easy to tell what was def benzos and what was this.

Meditation can interrupt it for a few seconds and sort of reset before it graduallly slides back off rhythm

Completely agree. I'll go a few weeks mostly without it. It might crop up here and there every so often, but doesn't ever really take hold or stick around. Until it does during a wave or whatever. Then it seems to stick around for days, sometimes weeks. But then I find myself not having it again. It's a vicious cycle and it's worse because you really aren't sure what's withdrawal and what's just anxiety anymore.