Benzo Belly Questions

[Jo...]

BENZO BELLY.....I need some understanding about this symptom. Until this last cut, I had my share of fullness, distention, no appetite....but lately I also have this churning nervous stomach. Bloaty, gassy, and feeling like I never want to eat again. Feeling full after a few bites. Are these lovely add on symptoms anything like you have experienced? Does a new cut sometimes give you a new sx? Or an amped up old sx? Any and all of your comments are so welcomed. Gosh we really are a strong bunch to go through this.  ???

I’ve been nauseated my entire taper.  Stomach pain was off and on but now it’s mainly on.  I have a lot of food sensitivities and get full easily.  Surprisingly, I don’t get the bloat but read it’s very common. Lower intestines....constipated (sorry, TMI). 

Someday we’ll all look back and wonder how we got through this hell.  But we will.

I hope you feel better soon.

SG

💜

Hi, Joyatlast

I've had IBS for several years, starting long before I was on a benzo. I find that this is improving quite a bit in the last few years, although I still get bloated and cramping at times. I only have an "attack" about once a month or less.

I haven't found anything yet that really addresses the nausea very well. For the bloating and gassiness, I take 2 Gas-X with meals and that has helped me prevent some of the worst of it. Another brand is Gaviscon.

Also digestive enzymes can help as well. There are several brands out there-- I've never done a comparison, but reviewers probably have.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this and hope you find relief soon!

Liz

Benzo Belly indeed exists. Why? Because your GI Tract, from lips to rear end, contain a very high amounts of gaba receptors. So when you go off benzos, having GI symptoms is VERY common. Bloat, nausea, vomiting, belching, pain, diarrhea or the opposite, and so many other GI symptoms. Don't let this scare you. It does get better. Treat this "symptomatically" using NON drug solutions. Tums, MOM, Tylenol maybe? Warm compresses? Make sure you drink enough fluids, and try not to worry about this weird stuff.

east

Benzo Belly indeed exists. Why? Because your GI Tract, from lips to rear end, contain a very high amounts of gaba receptors. So when you go off benzos, having GI symptoms is VERY common. Bloat, nausea, vomiting, belching, pain, diarrhea or the opposite, and so many other GI symptoms. Don't let this scare you. It does get better. Treat this "symptomatically" using NON drug solutions. Tums, MOM, Tylenol maybe? Warm compresses? Make sure you drink enough fluids, and try not to worry about this weird stuff.

east

:thumbsup:

Thank you, my dear buddies! We really are some kind of warriors to fend off the suffering all we fend off. Sometimes I wonder what will happen when the MILLIONS of benzo users will hit tolerance. It is inevitable that they will. What a crisis we will face, multiples of our current crisis! Doctors, in the main, are clueless about how to taper. Withdrawal after being prescribed these drugs is, for many, just so brutal. Thank you for your kind and helpful words.  :smitten:

Something I have never understood is WHY there're is such a lack of real information about benzos. Excuse my language, but WTF! I am an RN, I worked in a detox place and on an acute psych ward. NEVER did I hear how awful benzo can be for some. WHY is that??? AM I so different that I suffered as I did? Are you so different? I doubt it. I cannot make sense of this question and it will continue to haunt me for the rest of my days on earth.

God look after us all, we sure need it.

east

Something I have never understood is WHY there're is such a lack of real information about benzos. Excuse my language, but WTF! I am an RN, I worked in a detox place and on an acute psych ward. NEVER did I hear how awful benzo can be for some. WHY is that??? AM I so different that I suffered as I did? Are you so different? I doubt it. I cannot make sense of this question and it will continue to haunt me for the rest of my days on earth.

east

It is truly bizarre. I am no conspiracy theorist,  but it sure seems fishy.

I can hardly get up from desk at work for fear I let out big gas blast.  Every day I have this problem and also feel like I won't make it to bathroom in time and go in my pants sorry if TMI but then when I go it's not much.    :laugh:

Yep. Having a hard time with my belly. It's like my life is revolved around my stomach. Almost all other physical wd sx are gone, but this gut thing persists. My body was so good before I started taking this poison. Shrinks prescribe these worthless drugs like they can fix anxiety and depression like a charm. Wishing for a day that all we benzo-sufferers will finally feel OK, and look back and be proud of ourselves for surviving this unnecessary torture.

east

This is something that I can't wrap my mind around either. I had heard of benzos, knew that people abused and got addicted to them but that was just worlds away from my world. I mean the term "pop a xanax" is a cultural term used in a comical way, right? haha. How can the medical community be so ignorant? The very first day of medical school should be about the horrific dangers of these drugs. I plan on writing a letter to the doctor who prescribed mine to let him know what happened to me. It's no good talking to him....he seemed to not believe me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Having a hard time with my belly. It's like my life is revolved around my stomach. Almost all other physical wd sx are gone, but this gut thing persists. My body was so good before I started taking this poison. Shrinks prescribe these worthless drugs like they can fix anxiety and depression like a charm. Wishing for a day that all we benzo-sufferers will finally feel OK, and look back and be proud of ourselves for surviving this unnecessary torture.

Your words have struck me as so genuine, so heartfelt I had to respond. This gastro stuff is so in our faces, right? Takes a toll every single day. Can I eat this? Will I pay for it later? I wish that I could go back in time, and rip up that 1st Xanax prescription.  Don't we all? Why do doctors not understand the havoc they promote?

I do trust that the body is always trying to get back to stasis. It is just a battle of wills to hang tough, to keep the faith, and do everything in our power to promote healing.  :thumbsup:

I am almost worried how little gas I have had since tapering. I have most of the other problems, reflux, trouble initiating swallowing,bad throat pain in stomach, nausea, weird bowel movement syndrome etc

Matt, I had to laugh reading your last post. Because I had weight loss surgery many years ago, I tend to have way too much gas. Its embarrassing!

sg89, I wish we knew the answer to this question. Are drug companies so powerful they can suppress the truth? OR- - is the percentage of people who do have such misery getting off benzos so small we just don't "count"?? I do know drug companies give all doctors tons of gifts. To prove that - I clean a psychiatrists condo every other week. He always has boxes and boxes of more pills and trinkets (he has trouble disposing of all this stuff, in fact is sort of a hoarder. LOL! Drug company reps routinely give medical offices free lunches, give all sorts of gift. How are they encouraging doctors to prescribe more benzos? Its weird because at least in the US, laws have gotten much stricter about this. Yet - I still meet people in the US who are being given enormous doses of benzos.

This question will be my personal puzzle until I die. Benzos came so close to killing me. Something has to give here, before more people get ruined as I did, due to benzos. BTW, I say that only because I managed to survive and heal. But for another person, breaking all those bones, spending all that time in the hospital, only due to benzos, might not be as tough as I was.

east

Can I eat this? Will I pay for it later? I wish that I could go back in time, and rip up that 1st Xanax prescription.  Don't we all? Why do doctors not understand the havoc they promote?

Thank you. Exactly. Those are the things going through my mind too. Why do shrinks promote these stuff still? I think it's a conspiracy between pharma and docs and the governments. Resently I've heard that they do a highly private conference, and discuss how to keep the people hooked on various drugs and make money. Some percentage from the sales goes to the so called "Doctors". And the pharma pays black-money to the government, making illnesses as the bait for catching unsuspecting patient. People need a very visible and easy to stumble upon resource, specially for preventing the use of benzo. They do absolutely nothing to prevent anxiety/depression. They just make it worse.

Have you tried taking probiotic supplements? I dare say it's the only supplement that has a tangible impact on my condition. It did sort out various GI related issues. That plus the fact some bacteria are known to act as psychobiotics, i.e. your guts bacteria help you relax and be happier supposedly.

SG

Yes I have those symptoms too. Things that help me are candied ginger, fresh juice that I make in my juicer with fresh ginger added, not eating late at night, keifer which is like a liquid yoghurt with tons of probiotics in it.