Antibiotics- I am going to take them, keeping track of how it goes here

[Gr...]

Well, I tried very very hard to do everything possible for my sinuses to avoid antibiotics, but I have conceded that I may need them to kick this.  I used the neti pot, oregano oil, vick's vapor rub, got a humidifier.  Tbh, the pain just got too much and I went to a doctor and have started a 10 day course of amoxicillin.  I plan to keep track of how this goes for me in this thread.  I know lots of people get very scared about taking antibiotics and I am hoping that it won't be too bad for me.  I haven't had any antibiotics in at least two years.  I am 16 and a half months out now. 

Try not to worry about it GC, many people have no issues with antibiotics. Although I'm sensitive to many medications and allergic to several antibiotics there are some I do take when necessary and don't have any problems.

I have had sinus issues for years so I know how you feel. Get better soon.

PG  :smitten:

Thanks for the well wishes Pianogirl.

So, to update, last night, my sleep was so so light again.  I actually was getting pretty nice sleep up until I started the antibiotics.  Of course, we can never be sure what causes what.  I woke up around 1am, feeling very anxious, and like I couldn't relax.  Luckily I thought to do some deep breathing, and then I couldn't believe what a difference that made.  My hands warmed up and I could feel sort of normal, even though I felt slightly awake the whole night.  I actually did sleep, I know, but it just felt like not great sleep and not enough.

But, that was it.  I'm doing okay today.  Of course, feeling somewhat tired, which isn't great, but honestly, not the worst.  I am not really afraid of this stuff anymore.  I feel like I've already been through the worst. 

[ca...]

Greencup, thank you for the update.  Reassurance is priceless  and if we need a Doctor, Dentist, or the right antibiotics it's important that we seek it out. 

B

Hey GreenC..

Fwiw, Iv hammered amoxy a couple of times early on and at a rather bad discontinuation point.. No problems that I noticed... Yay for small wins..!!

If you would allow a humble suggestion, -Possibly keep an eye on digestive health and function, in whatever way is appropriate for yourself... -Just a “Maybe”...

Lol, deep breathing.. The most easily forgotten and underrated quick fix..!!

:)

I've been taking amoxicillin, 3X a day, since Saturday evening.  I feel okay today.  In fact, today is the first day that I really feel like my sinuses are much much better and so much less pain than they were last week.  My sleep was meh last night, but the night before last was okay.  I feel like the antibiotics are making things that already trigger my benzo symptoms, a little bit more.  It's like they make me more sensitive to whatever is already going to bother me. 

Yesterday I drove for enough time, that I usually don't feel great afterwards.  Slowly, this drive is getting easier, as I get further out.  So it honestly doesn't feel like a setback, but I would say that I felt all sorts of symptoms yesterday after I got home and was done driving.  My shoulders ached, I got a headache, but not a migraine.  I just felt pretty awful.  However, I feel okay again today. 

I do feel slightly more anxious and like my sleep isn't very deep but I'm very happy that my sinuses are not in extreme pain anymore.  The prescription I have is for 10 days, so I got a ways to go with this still.  I'm very happy that I  don't feel worse at this point, three days in. 

Well, it's been a whole week on antibiotics now.  As far as my sinus infection is concerned, I am so much better.  No more pain in my sinuses.  It's amazing.  I really feel like I made the right call going to the doc to get antibiotics.  I do feel like I am having a low key constant anxiety all week.  Getting deep sleep is hard, and it was already hard, so I don't really know for sure that it is the antibiotics, but I do think so.  However, I would trade that sinus infection for a week of not great sleep. 

I also am having some stomach upset.  I had a massage the day after yesterday, and I couldn't feel the same as I usually do during the massage.  I felt disconnected from my body.  I think I am having some dp/dr.  It reminded me of the time I went to a massage while on lyrica and couldn't enjoy the massage.  It felt very similar. 

Anyways, I am very happy to report that I have very minimal side effects, no setbacks, and my sinus infection is GONE.  I have a few more days of pills to finish up.  Hope my good luck continues. 

Hi GC, I'm glad you are feeling better and the AB is tolerable. Are you taking probiotics? I always do when on AB's. I find that yogurt isn't enough so I do take a probiotic supplement. It does help with the gut issues caused by the antibiotic.

Well I'm about to take my last antibiotic.  This ended up taking longer than ten days cause after the first week past, I felt so much better, I kept forgetting to take the pills.  One bizarre side effect has appeared now.  My teeth are extremely discolored.  I have looked it up and apparently it can happen to adults, but it is rare, and usually happens to children and is rare for that to happen at all.  It's very weird cause my teeth when from normal, maybe slightly yellow but nothing really noticeable to WOW SO STAINED in just the last week.  I actually have a cleaning scheduled at the dentist at the end of the month.  I guess we'll see what happens.  Overall, not the worst thing to happen.  Very strange though.  I have noticed some tooth pains as well over the last week too. 

My sleep was fine last night, and even deep sleep, so whatever weird low level anxiety that these antibiotics did give me, it seems I can still get some quality sleep in, so that is good news as well.  Overall, I'm pretty okay with this experience.  Curious about the tooth staining. 

OMG, so now I have finished the antibiotics and the sinus pain has COME BACK!!!  My teeth are still stained and I have some tooth pain that feels like a sensitive tooth, to chewing mostly.  but the sinus pain is getting close to unbearable, again.  I think I'm going to head back to the clinic and see what they say.  Ugh.  I felt so much better while on the antibiotics.  I also wonder if my body just can't fight this with just a normal dose of antibiotics now?  I have no idea. 

What a bummer.. :(

Its all sounding very close to home, or familiar.. :(

Perhaps some pathology to confirm an infection, despite all appearances..??

Also, I had several MRIs for other reasons over the discontinuation years, and they all rrported chronic sinus congestion..?? Actually I just got a reminder that im due another, which will be interesting, as I think things are clearing ip sinus wise...

-just thoughts, you know how odd this can all get..

I'm so sorry GC. Perhaps amoxicillan wasn't the best choice for you.  I have a history of sinus infections and the zpack is my go-to AB.

I agree with Can't. Before you go on a merry go round of AB's I wonder if they can determine exactly whats going on. At one time I had a nasal swap that was cultured to find the exact type of bacteria causing my problems. I also had a diagnostic CT scan as well.

Take care,

Thanks for the support guys.  :hug: :hug:

So I rushed on back to the doctor's yesterday, who basically told me that she cannot prescribe me antibiotics again until at least 10 days have passed, because of the some over-prescription of antibiotics thing.  Which makes sense, and I agree with that, sort of.  I just don't think I have anything new, and the doctor says that 10 days of amoxicillin should have cleared up any sinus infection so the only explanation is that something new is happening.  So basically I need to wait 10 days and if the pain isn't gone, then I can go back and see. 

Meanwhile, the pain is not as bad as it was before the antibiotics, but definitely not gone.  I read this article about how some people have some mucous stuck in the nasal passages that is the consistency of peanutbutter and it's very hard to get rid of.  I wonder if that is me?  LOL.  I definitely think my sinuses might just be inflamed.  Either way, I'm doing *okay* but back to using the neti pot all the time, and we'll see how it goes. 

Thanks for the support guys.  :hug: :hug:

So I rushed on back to the doctor's yesterday, who basically told me that she cannot prescribe me antibiotics again until at least 10 days have passed, because of the some over-prescription of antibiotics thing.  Which makes sense, and I agree with that, sort of.  I just don't think I have anything new, and the doctor says that 10 days of amoxicillin should have cleared up any sinus infection so the only explanation is that something new is happening.  So basically I need to wait 10 days and if the pain isn't gone, then I can go back and see. 

Meanwhile, the pain is not as bad as it was before the antibiotics, but definitely not gone.  I read this article about how some people have some mucous stuck in the nasal passages that is the consistency of peanutbutter and it's very hard to get rid of.  I wonder if that is me?  LOL.  I definitely think my sinuses might just be inflamed.  Either way, I'm doing *okay* but back to using the neti pot all the time, and we'll see how it goes.

I wonder if you can see an ENT.  When I saw one he numbed my nasal passages with a topical and then could see exactly what was going on in there. I have/had a mucus plug on the right side.  It comes and goes.

Have you ever done yoga to relieve sinus congestion? https://www.google.com/search?q=yoga+for+sinuses&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS734US734&oq=yoga+f&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j69i57j0l2j69i60l3.3376j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I read about a guy who had awful problems with them, and doing yoga finally cleared it up. I'm so sorry that the ABs are not working for you. To have to go through taking them and possibly take them AGAIN doesn't seem good for the gut microbiome.

But I'm glad the stains and discoloration of your teeth are going! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: