"embracing panic" OR actually trying to increase it

[tr...]

According to the research I've done, embracing panic is actually a pretty good method for stopping panic attacks. However, I do not know if it would work in benzo withdrawal, as it may depend on there being properly functioning GABA receptors.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this while in withdrawal. My "setbacks" are panic related, and I wonder if this method will help. For now, I'm trying to stick with just not being afraid of the panic--even the super bad kind that doesn't even feel like an attack.

If by "embracing panic" you mean not running from it, yes, I do think this technique can help even in benzo w/d.  I took the baby steps approach to facing the things I feared due to my tendency to panic and little by little, was able to do things I had stopped doing, like going to the grocery store.  As an example, I started by sitting in my car in the driveway, worked up to sitting in my car in the grocery parking lot and finally going in for a 5 minute pickup of bread, for instance. Each time as I felt the anxiety rising, I made myself stay in the moment until the anxiety subsided.  (I used a lot of controlled breathing during this time as well.)  Now I don't even think about it other than the inward groaning that I have to go to the grocery yet again!  ::)

Well, that's part of it, but there's also this one guy who says that, if you are in a panic attack, you should will your body to make the panic attack worse, and that it will produce a paradoxical reaction.

I am just worried that it depends on the GABA receptors working normally, and that forcing the issue actually causes a release of GABA to try and stop it or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I just recently did what is called a MVA urine test to check all my minerals, vitamins and amino acids. You can do this from sites online. It's about $80 bucks. I found myself to be "low" in a lot of areas that can actually cause anxiety. What I found out is that being on benzo's and anti-depressants depleted vital minerals, vitamins and aminos!! I was already on a lot of vitamins before this but when I found out exactly what I needed, it has really helped. Especially, the amino acids. One of the best ways to get amino acids is to drink protein drinks that have them naturally occurring. You can do this several times a day. GABA is an amino acid along with so many others like L-Tryptophen. A large array of B vitamins are needed as well. I found that my COQ10 enzyme was VERY low due to being on these drugs. This can affect the heart!! I take Standard Process (which can be found on Amazon) because it is organic food supplements. The Cataplex B and Cataplex G (especially the G) has helped tremendously. A doc told me to take 3 Cataplex G before bed...I sleep like a baby when I do. I have gone from 2mg of Klonopin to .125! It's a bit hard now trying to do the whole thing but I am working with this new info and hope to succeed. I also found out my adrenal glands need support which all the B vitamins help as well as glandulars. Anyhow, thought I'd tell u this info in case it might help U. When one really finds out what these drugs are doing to nutrients, it makes one wonder why in the heck doctors aren't telling us...most likely ones are already deficient in the first place and this is why they are on medicine. Gees. And the cycle goes on! :-\

Thanks for the information, LMarie1959.

I'm glad you've found some supplements that are helping you out.  I just want to caution others reading this that many people have a rev up of symptoms when they add B vitamins in particular. Also, we usually recommend adding supplements one at a time so if there is a change for the worse, you will know what likely caused it.  I think your having been tested for deficiencies was a good move and just hope the testing site wasn't also the one selling the supplements.  That would make me suspicious to say the least.  ;)

I also wonder if you would like this moved to the Alternative Therapies board since it isn't about the thread topic about inviting panic.  More people who are interested in this topic are likely to read it there.  Just a suggestion.

I'd appreciate it moved, Beeper, because it's hijacking my thread. I was hoping that someone had tried this "embracing panic" method for their benzo-induced anxiety. It's used in both the Linden Method and in Panic Away.

I'm not opposed to supplements, but I'd rather not have that discussion prevent anyone else from responding on the original topic.