Midrin (and the Chloral Hydrate in it)

[tr...]

Did you guys know that Midrin contains 67 mg of chloral hydrate*--a GABA potentiator? Has anyone taken it during withdrawal (for migraines), and has it messed up their withdrawal?

I'm wondering if my current wave is coincidence, or actually related to it. I actually took at most a third of a dose (by opening the pill, removing 2/3 of the powder, and then putting it back together.)

*In the form of dichloralphenazone, which wiki says is a racemic mixture of 1:2 antipyrine and chloral hydrate. That means 2/3 CH, and 1/3 antipyrine. Checking another site, I find that the dichloralphenazone content of Midrin is 100mg, and 2/3 of 100mg is 67mg.

Also, do note that the normal dose of CH is 500 to 1000mg. I took 22mg.

Anything about Chloral Hydrate itself, then? It was the drug they used before they discovered barbiturates, which were the drugs they used before discovering benzos.

[84...]
Did you guys know that Midrin contains 67 mg of chloral hydrate*--a GABA potentiator?

Yes I sure did know that ;)

Midrin (Amidrine) is taken for Migraine Headaches and is also for Insomnia!

Chloral Hydrate can be very dangerous and to note: it was found in Marilyn Monroe's and Anna Nicole's system.

I have never taken it, but it is a Sedative/Hypnotic that belongs to the same class as the Benzodiazepines, C-IV substance.

In the form of dichloralphenazone, which wiki says is a racemic mixture of 1:2 antipyrine and chloral hydrate. That means 2/3 CH, and 1/3 antipyrine.

That's correct.. I wouldn't keep taking it, I personally know someone who was on it.

I would try taking something else for your migraines.. IMO, I do think it could mess with w/d..it has potential too, very much so.

I know how migraines are; and I was offered Midrin, I didn't take it, I researched Midrin several times over and over.

If you possibly can talk to your Doctor about something else.

That's the thing. It's the only thing that has worked, besides opiates. It doesn't help that I get really anxious when they happen, and I'm not entirely sure they are real migraines and not withdrawal pains or even anxiety headaches.

I would love to take the triptans, but I'm also taking Celexa. And I've sworn off Caffeine. It was these headaches that led me to becoming housebound at six months out. But this last one started without any triggers.

Plus, there's the fact that I finally gave in and took a third of a Midrin (by taking out 2/3 of the powder in the pill and putting them back together) recently, and it seemed to make w/d worse, while, when I had taken the whole pills before, I didn't have a problem. I mean, I'd get anxious as it worked its way out of my system, but no debilitating effects.

Oh, and did I mention I'm scared to death of the opiates, as I seem overly sensitive, and had what seemed to be withdrawal symptoms from when I took cough syrup, even at 1/8 a dose. I had to taper from that. And even if my doctor says that that low a dose can't do that, I'm not sure to believe them, since they don't think benzos are addictive (even if they do create dependence).

[84...]
That's the thing. It's the only thing that has worked, besides opiates. It doesn't help that I get really anxious when they happen, and I'm not entirely sure they are real migraines and not withdrawal pains or even anxiety headaches.

Did you have the headaches before Benzos or w/d?

I have had many headaches during withdrawal I didn't have prior..

Just curious.

What type of Migraines do you have, try to explain them the best you can..

Keryn.

Yes, but not nearly as frequently. And they were technically a lot worse, but these seem to come with an emotional component of depression.

It's all in the back of my head to my temples, and it hurts really bad at first, but then the pain itself seems to fade, but not the other stuff. And when I do get rid of it, it hurts again first before it feels right. It also makes me very dizzy and nauseated, and I feel like I'm going to die. But it doesn't quite feel like a panic attack, as that involves heart racing and feeling quite winded. And changing your breathing helps really quickly.

I'm nearly convinced that it has more to do with my Celexa than my Klonopin. This stuff only started back when my Celexa got out of wack from me thinking I missed a dose and taking another, and got its worst when my pharmacy switched pills back, and I noticed that the side effects felt stronger, so I thought there was an equivalence problem. (I've read they can be as much as 20% off.)

It is my doctors that say it sounds like a type of migraine, even thought it doesn't fit the classic symptoms. But even if it's withdrawal, it's the one part I have not been able to take. It's the one part that I think makes withdrawal the equivalent of hell on Earth. I have a hard time believing anyone who has successfully withdrawn has ever felt it.

[84...]
I'm nearly convinced that it has more to do with my Celexa than my Klonopin.

I'm no Doctor, and don't want t be ;)

I will tell you what Celexa did to me! I think you're totally correct.

I took Celexa one night before bed as prescribed, I woke up 4 hours later, had a Headache that was very bad, it came with all sorts of sx's.

It also makes me very dizzy and nauseated, and I feel like I'm going to die. But it doesn't quite feel like a panic attack, as that involves heart racing and feeling quite winded. And changing your breathing helps really quickly.

And exactly the way you put them, I had this too.. I never took another one.

It could be the Celexa or the combination of both.

Common side effects of citalopram include drowsiness, insomnia, nausea, weight changes, frequent urination, decreased sex drive, anorgasmia, dry mouth,[16] increased sweating, trembling, diarrhea, excessive yawning, and fatigue. Less common side effects include bruxism, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmia, blood pressure changes, anxiety, mood swings, headache, and dizziness. Rare side effects include convulsions, hallucinations, and severe allergic reactions.[17] If sedation occurs, the dose may be taken at bedtime rather than in the morning.

wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citalopram

Keryn.

Thing is, I'm suspecting this happening because I took less, not more. I've taken Celexa or Luvox for 15 years, at least. And there is no way I can go off of it if dropping just 2.5 mg causes this crap.

The original happened on a trip to my doctor, while I was in the car. And I could barely stand it. The second time, it happened on a trip, when I had barely slept (because my sleep schedule is backwards, so I had to stay up for the appointment.) I was riding along, and saw the mountains feel like they were falling away from me.

This was when the doctor had reduced me to 20mg Celexa from 60mg.

I do know that we are more sensitive in withdrawal, but it seems like my symptoms happened backwards.

I'm actually feeling somewhat better now, but, even though mom has two substitutes, I'm thinking of trying to get her to stay home. This is scary as all get out.

You have to realize, I have OCD. I think that's what's made this withdrawal so much harder, even though, from a logical perspective, a lot of the stuff I'm going through is less than what others did. Granted, my OCD was completely under control before I got on klonopin, to the point that, in an experiment I was in, I was suspected to be in the control group. Sure, I had anxiety, but it was a lot lower than anything I've experienced in withdrawal. I just got on klonopin because I thought I was having a panic attack, but, in retrospect, I was just anxious about going to bed. And I wasn't stupid--all I wanted was my seroquel back, which knocked me out.

Sorry for the info dump.