is DIY tapering Klonopin using Ora-Plus and Ora Sweet possible?

[Ha...]

yeah, I'm really pissed off at my compounding pharmacy for fucking scamming me , so

was wondering if this formula they used can be replicated, for tapering, with crushed pills

and those 2 ingredients , I can even re-use the bottles the concoction came in from this place

it's almost too perfect, but not sure how to compute it, for 0.1mg/ml ratio , for say 2 weeks, that

would be 40 ml's of this stuff,  that I know, but not sure how much Klonopin they used to make it

nor the 2 liquids , ( that can be bought on Amazon ) for suspension

I'm no good at math, Happy, and I tapered valium. But since my tapering days, we have some DIY charts that are helpful. This one is one ppl use and might suit you:

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/

Hope this is helpful. I hear you about your scamming pharmacy. That's a lot of money for a generic drug!!

Katz

K, still having (lots) of trouble with the online calc, ( never understood it lol) 

can someone input the data for me,  the concentration is 0.1mg/1ml 

the pills of Klonopin would be 0.5 mg's each ( when I get them/script after

next doc appt March 27th)  and the dosing is currently 3 dose  times daily from

the full 2.6 mg's daily , so like dose one  0.8 ml's    dose two 0.9 ml's dose three

0.9 ml's  for 2.6 ml's total daily, or if dry 2.6 mg's  , and also ( again to make sure)

can this formula using Ora-Plus/Ora-Sweet  ( the same stuff compounding pharmacy is

using)  be replicated

I know you’ve told me before that it is “impossible” for you to find another compounding pharmacy, but my sense is you would be wise to revisit this. Compounding pharmacies are like any other service provider - there are good ones and there are bad ones.  It’s up to us to conduct the necessary due diligence to find the good ones.  Or, here’s another thought.  You have indicated in another thread that you are on welfare.  Do you have a case manager (or someone at the local agency that administers welfare) who could assist you?

yes , there are other pharmacies , but the other 2 do not have delivery, and are of

further distance, being 100% Agoraphobic with crippling anxiety, I can't get to them

myself, I have a social support worker who helps get me to docs/ bloodwork etc, ( and

to the expensive place I'm using now) but even she says those 2 other pharmacies are too far , for her tight

timeframes driving wise,( as she has many other clients like me ) I'll ask her when I see her Thursday

so yeah, really stuck here lol,  as for my ODSP/welfare caseworker,  very little to no help , there isn't

much they can do, as their main thrust for welfare clients is the financial stuff, not the med/pharma/doctor stuff

the full 2.6 mg's daily , so like dose one  0.8 ml's    dose two 0.9 ml's dose three

0.9 ml's  for 2.6 ml's total daily, or if dry 2.6 mg's  , and also ( again to make sure)

can this formula using Ora-Plus/Ora-Sweet  ( the same stuff compounding pharmacy is

using)  be replicated  ( pasting this info again, so it doesn't get buried, as it's the important stuff lol)

I’m glad you are going to ask your social support worker about this!  I would think your ODSP/welfare caseworker would be keenly interested in your situation because it involves “financial stuff” (in your case, having to pay exorbitant out-of-pocket costs for your medication).

Brainstorming here ... when you were searching for compounding pharmacies, did you contact nearby hospitals and clinics to ask if they do on-site compounding or work with a compounding pharmacy that delivers to their site?  Contacting nearby long-term care facilities for older adults or adults with developmental disabilities (both of these groups often require compounded medications) to ask the same question might also be worth considering.

no, hospitals here, do not have pharmacies in them,  so never thought of it

I know when I was in the ER Dec 2018, I was given a script , and had to

get it at a regular drug store the day after as it was after midnight when I got out

using)  be replicated  ( pasting this info again, so it doesn't get buried, as it's the important stuff lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HappyOne10001,

My pharmacist is using this exact formula to prepare my liquid klonopin every 14 days. What is your daily dose?  Is it 2.6mg dry tablets or 2.6ml liquid.?There is a big difference.  Please let me know so that I can help with the calculations if you still want to know.

Hi HappyOne10001,

Just saw your first post.  You will use 4mg of klonopin with 40ml ora-plus.  That means you will use 8 of the 0.5mg pills for each 40ml ora-plus.

Hope this will help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! Please see these directions. They are for pharmacists compounding tablets into liquid suspension. I can help with equivalency questions. (I apologize for that URL but it is a direct download for a PDF.)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjVw7Od_PvnAhWonuAKHdDfBSMQFjAAegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationwidechildrens.org%2F-%2Fmedia%2Fnch%2Fspecialties%2Fpharmacy%2Fcompounding-formulas%2Fclonazepam-oral.ashx&usg=AOvVaw1RJ7p3K-IfKlA0BJHra-U_

• 3 months later...

HappyOne10001, have you been able to compound your own Klonopin suspension yet?  If so, how has it been working out for you? 

After reading how disappointed some members have been in their pharmacies' compounded Klonopin suspensions, my partner is leery of going that route.  But unless I'm misinterpreting the compounding method linked in this thread, I see where some Klonopin might be getting lost in the process.

The method calls for gradually mixing the diluent into the powder, then transferring the resulting suspension into a calibrated flask and bringing to volume.  Nowhere does the method call for quantitative transfer, which ensures that as much active ingredient as possible is transferred to the flask before bringing the suspension to volume.

Performing a quantitative transfer means that, after the bulk of the suspension is transferred from the mortar to the calibrated flask, the mortar is rinsed with a few ml of diluent, and the rinse is transferred to the calibrated flask.  The rinse step should be performed at least one more time, and if, after that, tablet residue is actually visible in the mortar, additional rinsing will be necessary, the goal being to transfer 100% of the active ingredient to the flask without exceeding the target volume called for in the method.  The rinsing process should also include any other lab ware that may harbor tablet or suspension residue, including the pestle, stirring rod, etc.

According to product literature, Ora-Plus is "thixotropic"--a term I had to look up.  It apparently means that, upon agitation, the product behaves as a liquid but otherwise behaves as a gel. So "rinsing" might be more complicated that it sounds.  However, leaving 5% or more of the Klonopin behind as residue on your lab ware means that your solution, when brought to volume, will be more dilute than the theoretical concentration you're shooting for.  So it's important to strive for 100% transfer of active ingredient without exceeding the final volume to which the flask is calibrated.

Sounds like compounding your own suspension with Ora-Plus might take a little practice, but eventually it should be possible to develop a consistent technique for quantitatively transferring the suspension.     

Koko. I managed to find another place, that didn't gouge me,  I went from 3 months of paying

83 dollars every 14 days,  to one place, with one price, and a much larger bottle of 0.1MG/ML

suspension , 150 mls for 55 dollars , currently down to 0.16 (from 0.28 in January) almost

at a quarter of a 0.5 mg actual pill, ( which is 0.125 ) getting there,, taper's  is at day 724 now

( from original start dose of 1.5 mg's of Klonopin) started June 18th 2018 

Awesome, HappyOne, you found comparable quality at a better price, and you're progressing with your taper!    :balloon:

I, on the other hand, was quoted $48 for 90 ml of 0.1 mg/mL suspension.  Meh.   

• 1 year later...

This is a great thread! I love benzo buddies! After reading, I plan to compound my own Klonopin next time instead of having the pharmacy do it. Doing it myself will not only save me the trip, but also prevent me from being stressed about only having 3 compounding refills. I worry that I might be tapering so slowly that I’ll need more than three. I see that I can purchase the 473ml of the Ora-plus for about $28. The same cost for the Ora-sweet. Who knew that compounding would be so easy!

Hope that you are doing well HappyOne!