Tight Head And Ear Fullness.

[fl...]

Hi,

Happy New Year! I was curious if anyone had tips on reducing either ear fullness or head tightness associated with benzo withdrawal? Thank you.

fp

Just wanted everyone to know I have been searching for physical causes to my symptoms just in case it is not benzo withdrawal and I will continue to do so. I don't know if anyone was hesitant to answer because of that. I will not hold anyone to anything. I'm just looking for relief from these feelings since they are scary and uncomfortable, preferably something natural, and I was curious what coping mechanisms others have used. I wish everyone well.

Yes yes yes and yes.  Both....  ear and head pressure.  Sometimes I have to pop my ears to reduce the pressure. 

I have heard a lot of people on here claim these two symptoms. Seems like almost everyone has them in particular.  So, add life stress to the mix and they get much worse. 

I had an encounter with my Accupressure lady today, and told her about the head and ear fullness.  Also head pain.  She dug her thumbs into my neck area and shoulders (which are like rock) and it totally helped.  I am wondering if some of the pressure is muscular tension, preventing blood flow in the neck.  As well, some of it feels very 'chemical' - as in an imbalance........ thanks for this post.

Janiceh,

Thank you for your response! You actually made me remember something. I had one of those thermal imaging studies done years ago for other reasons. It showed that I had a lot of tension in my upper back. I was so distracted by other things I never had it addressed. I might try going to an accupuncturist or chiropractor to see if that can alleviate some of the head tightness. Do you have any tips or tricks for popping your ears? Take care

fp

Hi flower power-

I had head pressure too.  I'm sorry you're suffering with it. 

It makes sense it might be related to muscle tension in the head, neck and shoulders.  I've been finding very warm baths with Epsom salts and essential oil for 20 min. very relaxing and soothing for sore muscles.  My head pressure stopped before I started taking these baths but I'm wondering if it might help you. Might be worth a try!

Hope your symptoms ease up soon,

Brighterday

Flowerpower..... I just pop my ears continually so I don't really notice.  I think its like when you are on a plane and you force air through your eustachian tubes but opening your jaw really wide and swallowing air and pushing it into your ear tubes.  Does that make sense?  I got to be a pro at it when I had Lyme infection in my inner ears.  I didn't know I was polishing a skill needed for tapering! 

Brighterday, Joyatlast51, and Janiceh,

I'm thankful for the input and suggestions. I'll let you know if treating the muscles in the shoulder help with tight headedness. Will be a few weeks before I can get an appointment. I did have dizziness for a long time. It has eased off a little lately. I hope it stays that way, if not that group may be the way to go. I hope you all have a good night.

fp

flowerpower.... I joined the Dizziness and balance issues group.  You can find it below on the main page under Support Groups.  Click on that link and scroll down until you see it. There is a tremendous amount of good information there.....  I am on there and have had some great aha's and a breakthrough......  good luck!

This symptom, though I experienced it intermittently along the way, was one of my worst symptoms. I rarely have it now. Between 10 mg V and 6 mg V (roughly and in both of the last tapers) it was constant for months. I was able to get through this time, but it really makes thinking difficult. And balance? Yeah, though not as bad for me. I remember running though and my ears would be so full of pressure that it would start to hurt. I got some temporary relief from a sustained sweat, but it would return full force after a few hours.

Yes yes yes and yes.  Both....  ear and head pressure.  Sometimes I have to pop my ears to reduce the pressure. 

I have heard a lot of people on here claim these two symptoms. Seems like almost everyone has them in particular.  So, add life stress to the mix and they get much worse. 

I had an encounter with my Accupressure lady today, and told her about the head and ear fullness.  Also head pain.  She dug her thumbs into my neck area and shoulders (which are like rock) and it totally helped.  I am wondering if some of the pressure is muscular tension, preventing blood flow in the neck.  As well, some of it feels very 'chemical' - as in an imbalance........ thanks for this post.

Are your shoulders forced up and forward and rigid.

All my muscles are rigid like rock. Literally solid and for I g spine into horrible contorted posture. Massage, myofascial release,  accupuncture, stretching etc does nothing.

Benzo3 thanks for sharing about ear pressure and running.  I hike and run, as I can, these days.  It always makes my ears get very pressurized and yes - almost hurt.  I have to pop my ears over and over.  And it does make thinking difficult. 

Its so good to know that I'm not the only one.  I had a window (4 days) recently where this sort of went away - but its back now.  Is this something that has gone away for you?

Hi,

Happy New Year! I was curious if anyone had tips on reducing either ear fullness or head tightness associated with benzo withdrawal? Thank you.

fp

Good question. I hope your feeling better.

Ajusta... duh sorry I missed your question about tight shoulder muscles......  Yes - my shoulders are like rocks... and they creep up towards my ears.... It is causing headaches because it is shutting off blood flow... I do have a very skilled Accupressure woman.  She is able to "take the hurt off of me".  She does deep work all through my neck and shoulders and base of my skull..... it is a profound relief.  It doesn't last, but it halts my nausea and head pain for a few hours, thank god.  I think this is fairly common in withdrawal.  Muscle spasms.  And you are right.... not much else works. 

There is one yoga posture that is for shoulder release.  Sometimes I think it helps.

Its where I clasp my hands behind my back and bend completely forward at the waist,so your whole upper body is hanging down as for as it will go.  Let your arms fall back down towards the ground.....with your hands still clasped.  Hope this helps.  :smitten:

• 3 years later...
Bumping. I am kinda concerned as I can't pop my ear the feels full as most people say they can, and it's been days since I have this ear pressure feeling in my left ear. Should I be concerned?

I think it may be a good idea to call your doctor's office and have it checked out - it might give you some peace of mind if nothing else.