Lack of sleep from cold is revving up my anxiety

[ha...]

I have been having such a terrible experience. Constant coughing robbing me of sleep. Went to the doc to get a check up a few days ago & they ruled out flu and strep. Told it me to take an antihistamine. I got home, took a claritin then an hour later I felt like I took a shot of expresso. I had barely any sleep at this point so it scared me to the point of pure anxiety. I did my best to just deep breath & lay down with some family members, hoping that the half-life would take some of the edge off until I took my 8mg Valium dose at my regular time of 10:50 pm. It died down after that. Got about 6 hours of sleep.

Next day I'm alright until later in the night. I took my Valium & then kept forcing myself to yawn because I wasn't able to finish one with the state my throat was in. Felt calm, then I felt hungry. I haven't been eating a lot due to the cold so I took this as a win. While I was looking for something to eat I felt a heartbeat skip & then I felt lightheaded. My mind instantly wanted to go to "is this afib?" because I suffer from health anxiety but I tried everything to fight the thought & disregarded it. Grabbed some apple sauce, sat down on my bed & ate.

Tried focusing on what I was watching but I felt the anxiety creeping up on me. I then just wanted to go to bed. Figured maybe the sooner I fell asleep the better. Unfortunately I was in an odd state of anxiety that, while I was calm, I also felt worried. Eventually the feeling took over, I called my mental health crisis center because I felt like I needed someone to talk to. Helped a little but it really messed with me.

[e6...]
I had a nasty cold just after Christmas and took a pseudoephedrine.  It rev'd me up pretty good.  Didn't do that again.  Some cold meds are like that.  Maybe consider using a cold medicine that doesn't rev you up.  I usually go for NyQuil or something similar in the evening.  It's got a pretty potent sleep med in it ('doxy').  It works pretty well on me.