Gerd and Antacids

[Sc...]

I have a condition called GERD and need acid suppressing medications to heal my inflamed esophagus. I was wondering are H2 blockers like Pecid AC safer than PPI's?. I only want to take them a short time 4-8 weeks until my esophagus heals and then want to get off. What is the safest way to heal GERD. I heard that PPI's can have bad side effects when taken long term. How about Gaviscon take 4x daily would that work?. Anyone used natural products to heal their GERD?.

Anyone with personal experience and some knowledge about this what are some suggestions/opinions?.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sc...]

• [or...]

• [Ho...]

• [fe...]

[65...]

I take them as needed. I have prescription carafate I took that for 6 weeks also but take it as needed now  It doesn't affect my sx but I have  never been sensitive to much.  Don't be afraid to take something to help yourself.  Especially if doctor says you need it.  FEAR is a sx.  I also take Tylenol or Ibuprofen if headache gets too bad.  It is just what your body can handle.  Are you eating and drinking enough?  No coffee or acid inducing foods? 

B

Before this acid reflux problem i ate 1 big meal a day. Now i eat 1 small meal a day because of my recent acid reflux. I drink plenty of water/tea's now for about a week. I don't drink coffee but used to eat acid inducing foods. I had acid reflux for a few months completely unaware of the damage it was causing.

[65...]

Three meals a day, I eat something every hour, I eat almost anything.  Coffee is a big one for acid..I cut out alot in acute but am adding in most stuff everyday.  After I took it for a few weeks able to eat 3 times a day.  You will get there.

B

I should be eating 3 meals a day but i have a habit of never being hungry in the morning and lunch due to my benzo withdrawal symptoms making me lose my appetite. I hope my GERD symptoms go away my stomach is so sensitive. I was doing so well 7 years off until this happened and caused me such much anxiety.

[59...]

I should be eating 3 meals a day but i have a habit of never being hungry in the morning and lunch due to my benzo withdrawal symptoms making me lose my appetite. I hope my GERD symptoms go away my stomach is so sensitive. I was doing so well 7 years off until this happened and caused me such much anxiety.

I take gaviscon as needed myself, and it doesnt seem to affect other symptoms,

however sometimes a trick I use also when the acid seems to build up

and then flow up

I drink a glass of water

and then I have something small to eat,

to give the acid something to work on.

Often works for me, as I had a hiatial hernia

which they fixed years ago,

however now big meals can activate the Gerd for me,

so small meals often

and something small to eat when it arises works for me.

even being stressed can activate the acid build up, also for me

so something small eat, even sucking

on a peppermint can help me often.

Just sharing what might help others

Scooby I have GERD. Every once in awhile I have to take a course of Nexium (doc prescribes this). In between times I drink Aloe Juice -- I buy it from Amazon. It is very darned effective! Sometimes I take Pepcid, but it's not very helpful.

Small meals, little alcohol, one cup of coffee per day -- they all help me.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Skyblue2 How long does the effect of Gaviscon last. Is it possible to heal an inflamed esophagus with Gavison?. I am kinda of scared to take a PPI like Nexium everyday because of side effects.

I took a 14 day course of Nexium. When I finished it, my GERD came back, so I started using this aloe juice:

ALO Exposed Aloe Vera Juice Drink, Aloe Vera + Honey, 16.9 Ounce (Pack of 12)

It works pretty darned well! But when it fails me, I take a few Nexium, get things calmed down, then switch back to the aloe juice.

Katz

[59...]

Skyblue2 How long does the effect of Gaviscon last. Is it possible to heal an inflamed esophagus with Gavison?. I am kinda of scared to take a PPI like Nexium everyday because of side effects.

Scooby  On ingestion  it reacts rapidly with gastric acid to form a raft of alginic acid gel having a near neutral pH and which floats on the stomach contents, quickly and effectively impeding gastro-oesophageal reflux, for up to 4 hours. 

It is dependant on what is causing it.

If Im stressed I will take it several times a day, especially in a wave,

Other days perhaps only once or twice and some days now as things heal including the stomach healing , I dont take any. 

In the beginning I took it several times a day till healing happened and the stomach adjusted to not being  so acidic, or inflamed as I learned what foods triggered it at times.

Sometimes now even a peppermint is all I need,

as it relaxes and soothes the stomach muscles also. 

That works for me often.

Anyone that can help with a question of PPI?. I will start a 14 day trial of this drug to heal my esophagitis and possibly an ulcer i was wondering does one have to wean off the drug at this time or can abruptly stop it without complications of rebound acid. From my understanding those who get rebound acid reflux when off ppi's are those who have taken it for years is this correct?.

The reason i want to take this is because i may have esophagitis that causes dysphagia (swallowing problems) and need to heal my esophagus. I am 2 weeks suffering with stomach and esophagus problems it has improved a bit with taking Gaviscon 4x daily but i don't think enough.

oregonkatz That's great the aloe vera juice helped you, are there any other natural methods you tried that helps or found the aloe vera most effective?

Scooby, after trying several other potential "fixes" to soothe my gut, I always come back to the aloe juice.

However, one of our buddies, Dana,  has tried slippery elm and she finds it works. Also licorice. She takes or has taken a course of PPIs and has to "wean" off them after the 14 days is up. I've read about how to "wean" off and apparently you just open a capsule, toss some out, take less and less daily for about a week, then drop the drug. Sort of like tapering.

So that might give you some other ideas. I must have super-GERD as it never goes away, just settles down, then comes back.  >:(

Oh, I just thought of something else. I took a 6 week course of Carafate when I had an ulcer back in 2015. It's a tasteless chalky tablet that you let dissolve, then drink before meals. It sticks to protein -- in this case to the bloody (ugh) ulcerated spot in your stomach, and coats it so you can eat without discomfort. My gi doc had originally prescribed Omaprazole Rx strength, and it made me dizzy so I couldn't take it. But the Carafate cleared up my ulcer. Carafate is available by prescription.

I'll stick to my aloe juice, and take a few Nexium if I need them.

Hope you get relief,

:smitten:

Katz

oregonkatz It's been 2 weeks taking Gaviscon i still feel a strange sensitivity/irritation in my chest. I think my esophagus is irritated bad. It has improved over the course of 2 weeks but not to the extend i would like. Still feel uncomfortable. Do you think i did severe damage in 2 weeks?

I was reading studies on aloe vera and gerd and it indeed does work. I ordered some from Amazon. Do you know how Dana took this slippery elm and what type of licorice?. Any link to her posts about this?

Scooby, Dana and I exchanged PMs about the licorice and  slippery elm. I will go back and look them up and see if I can find info on brands. they were both capsules as I recall. I'll go look.

I think you'll really like the aloe juice. Not only does it taste good, it's like a big soothing dose of fire-extinguishing liquid on your burning esophagus. At least it was for me. GERD had affected my esophagus and I was really getting worried. Things are a lot better now.

Katz

Okay, Scooby, here's the info.

Dana suggested licorice (DGL) and here's some info:

DGL is Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice. ... In DGL, glycyrrhizin has been removed as it can cause elevations in blood pressure. DGL is used for heartburn (acid reflux) and stomach inflammation. It relieves symptoms and repairs the lining of the digestive tract.

I did not order it, so have no brands to tell you about.

I used this Slippery Elm:

NOW Supplements, Slippery Elm (Ulmus rubra) 400 mg, Herbal Supplement, 100 Veg Capsules

She also recommended Zinc carnosine which I also did not need to use so can't tell you anything about it.

I got relief with just the Slippery Elm and my aloe juice. I dropped off the Slippery Elm after I felt better.

You know, she probably wouldn't mind you PMing her. She's a nice person. Very helpful.

Again, may relief come your way!

Katz

oregonkatz DGL yes i ordered the powder because i can't use the chewables because of swallowing problems. Slippery elm i have and use in a tea daily. I hope i get better soon. Thanks Katz.

oregonkatz I will be starting a 14 day trial of Omeprazole tomorrow to heal my esophagitis i am scared they i will get rebound acid when i stop. I consulted some medical experts online and even a gastro and all of them said there is no rebound acidity for 14 days, only if taken longer than a month.

I don't know what to do.

Hey Scooby.  Been on nexium for 5 years on and off (some for years straight).  The rebound acid shouldn't be a problem with a 14 day dose.  You'll be fine.

There's a lot of fear surrounding these PPIs; it's important to note that most of the side effects are now known and can be counteracted.  If (for some reason) you end up on nexium for years like me (which I doubt), and IF you happen to be among the 20% that has vitamin B12 deficiency resulting from it (also doubt), then you can get vitamin B12 shots.

I hope to come off the nexium eventually but gerd is my primary and worst symptom throughout all of this.  I followed all the typical suggestions: don't smoke (I never have), have a good diet (I do), lose weight (I'm skinny), get sleep (I do my best).  Even tried Tums, gaviscon, etc.  None of it worked.  I'm on double dose of Nexium.  I haven't noticed any bad effects from it.

I've come off of nexium several times; the rebound is annoying but its never as bad as the initial symptoms that it covers up.

The general consensus of PPIs is to not use them because of their side effects, but it's important to note that a lot of people take PPIs without addressing the easy things first (eating well, not smoking, etc.).  The vast majority of people can get rid of their symptoms by doing this because their GERD is caused by their bad habits.  But if you're like me, and you've done all you can to stop it, then PPIs are the next solution.  My doctor addressed my fear of the PPI by saying "look.  If you had parkinsons, we'd be putting you on powerful drugs with powerful side effects too.  The same with any other condition.  Taking pills is always a "weigh the risks" situation.  And right now, you have chronic GERD.  And if it's left unchecked, it can erode your esophegus and cause cancer.  You need to weigh that against the possible long term effects of PPIs."

And he's right.  We've done what we can.  We have to make the choice for what will help us right now.  And sometimes, that's a PPI.

I will say this though.  I've met two people in my life that have been on PPIs for over 30 years.  And they're healthy as hell.  So I'm done losing sleep over whether or not this is the right choice.  And my write-up here may be a bit much for addressing your 14-day trial run with them.  But in the case that you may have to take something longer term, I hope you can use what I've written to find peace with it as well.

I only will take the Omeprazole for 14 days. Does the nexium work for you?. I been noticing acid reflux symptoms for 2 weeks since i went to the ER thinking i might have swallowed a chicken bone in my soup then a few days later i had trouble swallowing and acid coming up my chest and throat i suffered a lot. I used 1tbsp 4x Gaviscon daily for 2 weeks some of it has decreased but i can still feel prickly/tingling sensations in the middle of my chest. I think my esophagus is inflamed and irritated. Will this go away with Omeprazole?.

I don't want this sensation to remain in my chest it's torturing me.

Scooby, I'd go ahead and take the omaprazole if I were you.  If your esophagus is inflamed, it will help heal it. My nexium took away that nasty acid burning my throat as it was regurgitated. You should definitely feel relief.

As for rebound acid, I've read the same thing -- a short 14 day course should be okay.

I get it that you're scared, but maybe take the omaprazole and see what happens when you quit it. You can always start again and do a taper. There's plenty of info on the internet about this.

I'm rooting for you, Scooby.

Katz

Thanks for the support katz and everyone. I am so stressed with this gerd problem. I want this prickling/tingling sensation in my chest to go away, this is what bothers me the most not my tight head muscles.

This gerd has caused me severe anxiety i never had in 7 years. My fear is not being able to know if it's gone or it's still there because i still feel it a bit but unsure if it's anxiety and me focusing on it or actually gerd. This is what is torturing me the most.

I don't know what to do.