Breathing difficulty

[Ez...]

Has anyone out there experienced breathing difficulty during withdrawal? The feeling that you aren't breathing often enough or deeply enough? And a shuddering or stuttering rhythm to the breath instead of smooth inhalation and exhalation? I've been off clonazepam for 17 days, after 4 weeks of use, and I feel like my respiratory function is compromised. But when I've had my oxygen saturation checked, it was fine.

Hi Ezralit,

I used to say I had an elephant sitting on my chest, a number of members call it air hunger, you can use the search function to see that you're among the many who feel this symptom.  This is what Professor Ashton had to say about what you're experiencing.

Heart and lungs. Palpitations, pounding heart, rapid pulse, flushing, sweating, and breathlessness are usual accompaniments of panic attacks, but may occur without panics. They do not signify heart or lung disease but are simply the expression of an overactive autonomic nervous system. Slow deep breathing and relaxation, as described under panic attacks, can do much to control these symptoms. Do not worry about them: they would be accepted as normal if you were running for a bus, and will do no more harm than if you really were!

The Ashton Manual

Pamster

Yes it did. I would often get the feeling that I would have to yawn and when I did, it felt like I was not getting any oxygen. So I would try to take deep breaths but couldn't get a "satisfying breathe." Instead this would make me lightheaded. This is also a side-effect of general anxiety that the medication can make worse. Also, I could be wrong but I think the arrhythmic breathing patterns and heart palpitations could be related but not positive.

Just remember, I took Klonopin for 5 years and healed. You'll be alright trust me!  :)

Thanks for your response. Yes, I don't feel like I get enough oxygen when I yawn, nor can I manage a satisfying breath. I only took it for 4 weeks; I can't imagine how much worse it must have been after 5 years.

Yes. Air hunger. Does not mean you have a medical problem with your lungs at ALL. This symptom, like ALL benzo withdrawal symptoms, comes from your brain. And this feeling will go away. A lot of people say that sitting calmly and taking slow, deep, belly breaths will relieve this. Worked for me.

east

Shortness of breath/air hunger/dyspnea is by far the worst symptom that I am experiencing 5 months out. I think it is worse for me now because I was drinking alcohol throughout my withdrawal. The breathlessness definitely came and went and I believe that holiday drinking has caused it to come back with a vengeance. Needless to say this has caused me to stop drinking and rethink my recovery because I mentally and physically can not bare it any longer.

I definitely know that for me it must be related to anxiety. When I tune into my feelings a little deeper and realize that this is all apart of the withdrawal process I can find a little relief, even if it is just for a moment. It's comforting to know that so many buddies have had the same experiences throughout their withdrawal/recovery journey. Stay strong and don't let your lungs fool you!

I think you are right, B4.

The thing about air hunger that makes it scary is that you wonder if you will STOP breathing. You wont, but your brain is gonna tell you that you are at risk. Same with symptoms involving your heart: rapid pulses, skipped beats...everyone thinks they are about to have a heart attack. Breathing and pulse are so basic to life and when they don't feel right, you cannot help but be scared.

east

I think you are right, B4.

The thing about air hunger that makes it scary is that you wonder if you will STOP breathing. You wont, but your brain is gonna tell you that you are at risk. Same with symptoms involving your heart: rapid pulses, skipped beats...everyone thinks they are about to have a heart attack. Breathing and pulse are so basic to life and when they don't feel right, you cannot help but be scared.

east

Seconded. This is a very common symptom of withdrawal and anxiety.

27 days off clonazepam, and the breathing is worse than ever. Randomly alternates between tight chest and near hyperventilating, and more relaxed breathing that feels way too slow. Plus the rhythm feels completely off, and still have the stuttering sensation, seldom inhale/exhale smoothly. It seems like myoclonis of the muscles around my lungs. Input, suggestions?

Hi,

I've had air hunger the during my taper, like for 5/6 months. I couldn't breath, I thought I would suffocate!!

Now it's hopefully gone!

I understand you, as I know that it's a very scary symptom, but it's transitory, you will recover with time!

27 days off clonazepam, and the breathing is worse than ever. Randomly alternates between tight chest and near hyperventilating, and more relaxed breathing that feels way too slow. Plus the rhythm feels completely off, and still have the stuttering sensation, seldom inhale/exhale smoothly. It seems like myoclonis of the muscles around my lungs. Input, suggestions?

Sounds exactly like what I experience during waves. Hang in there, it gets better. Just try to ride it out and distract.